Quantcast

RGoogleDocs/RCurl through proxy

Remko Duursma
Dear list,

I am trying to use RGoogleDocs, but I am connecting through a proxy server.

I know RCurl is used for the connection, which should be able to deal
with proxies and such.
How do I set this up for RCurl? And can I use those settings with
RGoogleDocs as well?

I have the name of the proxy server and the port number.

(Windows XP).

thanks,
Remko

Remko Duursma
Post-Doctoral Fellow

Centre for Plants and the Environment
University of Western Sydney
Hawkesbury Campus
Richmond NSW 2753

Dept of Biological Science
Macquarie University
North Ryde NSW 2109
Australia

Mobile: +61 (0)422 096908
www.remkoduursma.com

Re: RGoogleDocs/RCurl through proxy

Duncan Temple Lang

This might be a little difficult  in the current version.
But it is a good point. I have a few ideas about
this could be done conveniently but with a reasonably
clear semantic model.  It may take a couple of days
before I have time to implement that.

  D.

Remko Duursma wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am trying to use RGoogleDocs, but I am connecting through a proxy server.
>
> I know RCurl is used for the connection, which should be able to deal
> with proxies and such.
> How do I set this up for RCurl? And can I use those settings with
> RGoogleDocs as well?
>
> I have the name of the proxy server and the port number.
>
> (Windows XP).
>
> thanks,
> Remko

> Remko Duursma
> Post-Doctoral Fellow
>
> Centre for Plants and the Environment
> University of Western Sydney
> Hawkesbury Campus
> Richmond NSW 2753
>
> Dept of Biological Science
> Macquarie University
> North Ryde NSW 2109
> Australia
>
> Mobile: +61 (0)422 096908
> www.remkoduursma.com

Re: RGoogleDocs/RCurl through proxy

Duncan Temple Lang
Hi Remko

  There is a new version (1.1-0) of the RCurl package
(on which RGoogleDocs depends) (no binary for Windows at this point).

This version allows one to specify default curl options that are used
each time a new curl handle/object is created.

You set these defaults in R's own options() list, e.g.

   options( RCurlOptions = list(verbose = TRUE,
                                proxy = "host:port",
                                noproxy = "www.nytimes.com"))

The proxy option is most likely what you need to set.
You can specify the host, port, user and password in this string.
Or you can specify the user:password string via the 'proxyuserpwd'
option.  You can even specify the mechanism to use for authenticating
the user via the 'proxyauth' option.

libcurl (and hence RCurl) has several different options
related to proxies
http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/curl_easy_setopt.html

   D.

Remko Duursma wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am trying to use RGoogleDocs, but I am connecting through a proxy server.
>
> I know RCurl is used for the connection, which should be able to deal
> with proxies and such.
> How do I set this up for RCurl? And can I use those settings with
> RGoogleDocs as well?
>
> I have the name of the proxy server and the port number.
>
> (Windows XP).
>
> thanks,
> Remko

> Remko Duursma
> Post-Doctoral Fellow
>
> Centre for Plants and the Environment
> University of Western Sydney
> Hawkesbury Campus
> Richmond NSW 2753
>
> Dept of Biological Science
> Macquarie University
> North Ryde NSW 2109
> Australia
>
> Mobile: +61 (0)422 096908
> www.remkoduursma.com

Re: RGoogleDocs/RCurl through proxy

Remko Duursma
Duncan,

I tested the new RCurl with the proxy option, and it works great (I
tested a curlPerform example, which does not work otherwise).

Problem with RGoogleDocs though:

> auth = getGoogleAuth("[hidden email]", GPASS)

Error in strsplit(type, "/")[[1]] : subscript out of bounds

If I get the Google Docs authorization by turning the proxy off;

options( RCurlOptions = list(verbose = TRUE,
                            proxy = ""))

And then turn it back on, I can connect just fine.

thanks,
Remko

Remko Duursma
Post-Doctoral Fellow