RQDA/RGtk2 Installation Problem

Ryoko
Greetings,

I have been having a problem installing RQDA on my Mac (OS 10.13.2). I
followed the installation process on the RQDA page (
http://rqda.r-forge.r-project.org/), but I keep getting an error message
saying that I am missing pkg-config and GTK. I reinstalled XQuartz and GTK+
2.24.17 multiple times (and reinstalled R version 3.4.4), but kept
receiving the same error message. I also tried to install RGtk2 from
MacPort, but got the same error messages. I am posting the log below, in
hope it will help someone to see the problem/solution.

In my Googling for solution, I saw some other people posting the same
problem, but have not seen a solution. I'd appreciate if anyone could help
me to fix this. I really would love to be able to use RQDA!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ryoko

> install.packages('RQDA')
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
also installing the dependencies ‘cairoDevice’, ‘gWidgetsRGtk2’, ‘RGtk2’

Packages which are only available in source form, and may need
  compilation of C/C++/Fortran: ‘cairoDevice’ ‘RGtk2’
Do you want to attempt to install these from sources?
y/n: y

installing the source packages ‘cairoDevice’, ‘gWidgetsRGtk2’, ‘RGtk2’,
‘RQDA’

trying URL 'https://cran.ism.ac.jp/src/contrib/cairoDevice_2.24.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 39639 bytes (38 KB)
downloaded 38 KB

trying URL 'https://cran.ism.ac.jp/src/contrib/gWidgetsRGtk2_0.0-86.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 165187 bytes (161 KB)
downloaded 161 KB

trying URL 'https://cran.ism.ac.jp/src/contrib/RGtk2_2.20.34.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2793069 bytes (2.7 MB)
downloaded 2.7 MB

trying URL 'https://cran.ism.ac.jp/src/contrib/RQDA_0.3-1.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 134113 bytes (130 KB)
downloaded 130 KB

* installing *source* package ‘cairoDevice’ ...
** package ‘cairoDevice’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
checking for pkg-config... no
ERROR: Cannot find pkg-config.
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘cairoDevice’
* removing
‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.4/Resources/library/cairoDevice’
* installing *source* package ‘RGtk2’ ...
** package ‘RGtk2’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
checking for pkg-config... no
checking for INTROSPECTION... no
checking for GTK... no
configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RGtk2’
* removing
‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.4/Resources/library/RGtk2’
ERROR: dependencies ‘RGtk2’, ‘cairoDevice’ are not available for package
‘gWidgetsRGtk2’
* removing
‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.4/Resources/library/gWidgetsRGtk2’
ERROR: dependencies ‘gWidgetsRGtk2’, ‘RGtk2’ are not available for package
‘RQDA’
* removing
‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.4/Resources/library/RQDA’

The downloaded source packages are in

‘/private/var/folders/1_/59k3mmjd42q869s4tkbpb0200000gn/T/RtmpeYrG4k/downloaded_packages’
Warning messages:
1: In install.packages("RQDA") :
  installation of package ‘cairoDevice’ had non-zero exit status
2: In install.packages("RQDA") :
  installation of package ‘RGtk2’ had non-zero exit status
3: In install.packages("RQDA") :
  installation of package ‘gWidgetsRGtk2’ had non-zero exit status
4: In install.packages("RQDA") :
  installation of package ‘RQDA’ had non-zero exit status

Re: RQDA/RGtk2 Installation Problem

David Winsemius

> On Apr 14, 2018, at 7:11 PM, Ryoko Yamamoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> I have been having a problem installing RQDA on my Mac (OS 10.13.2). I
> followed the installation process on the RQDA page (
> http://rqda.r-forge.r-project.org/), but I keep getting an error message
> saying that I am missing pkg-config and GTK. I reinstalled XQuartz and GTK+
> 2.24.17 multiple times (and reinstalled R version 3.4.4), but kept
> receiving the same error message. I also tried to install RGtk2 from
> MacPort, but got the same error messages.

That may have messed things up if it modified your PATH environment settings. You should notice that the instructions on the http://rqda.r-forge.r-project.org/ page are to install the GTK+ binary from http://r.research.att.com/

See below:

> I am posting the log below, in
> hope it will help someone to see the problem/solution.
>
> In my Googling for solution, I saw some other people posting the same
> problem, but have not seen a solution. I'd appreciate if anyone could help
> me to fix this. I really would love to be able to use RQDA!
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Ryoko

>> install.packages('RQDA')
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> also installing the dependencies ‘cairoDevice’, ‘gWidgetsRGtk2’, ‘RGtk2’
>
> Packages which are only available in source form, and may need
>  compilation of C/C++/Fortran: ‘cairoDevice’ ‘RGtk2’
> Do you want to attempt to install these from sources?
> y/n: y
>
> installing the source packages ‘cairoDevice’, ‘gWidgetsRGtk2’, ‘RGtk2’,
> ‘RQDA’
>
> trying URL 'https://cran.ism.ac.jp/src/contrib/cairoDevice_2.24.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 39639 bytes (38 KB)
> downloaded 38 KB
>
> trying URL 'https://cran.ism.ac.jp/src/contrib/gWidgetsRGtk2_0.0-86.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 165187 bytes (161 KB)
> downloaded 161 KB
>
> trying URL 'https://cran.ism.ac.jp/src/contrib/RGtk2_2.20.34.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2793069 bytes (2.7 MB)
> downloaded 2.7 MB
>
> trying URL 'https://cran.ism.ac.jp/src/contrib/RQDA_0.3-1.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 134113 bytes (130 KB)
> downloaded 130 KB
>
> * installing *source* package ‘cairoDevice’ ...
> ** package ‘cairoDevice’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> checking for pkg-config... no
> ERROR: Cannot find pkg-config.
> ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘cairoDevice’
> * removing
> ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.4/Resources/library/cairoDevice’

So you are on a Mac. There's a special mailing list for us. Have you installed Xcode and the CLT?

You will need to read and foolw the advice at the top of the following page:

https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/tools/

Have you searched StackOverflow? I found teh following answer there. (I think it's a bit incomplete since you should have the system variables set according to the Tools page, so I editted that answer.) But this looked like a starting point ... after setting environment variables and getting the Fortran compileras per above

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19645590/running-rattle-on-mac-os-x-10-9-mavericks/19719518#19719518

Do not reply to this mailing list (or to just me); rather send it to the R-SIG-Mac mailing list (after subscribing and reading the Posting Guide which it appears you have not done.)

--
David.

> * installing *source* package ‘RGtk2’ ...
> ** package ‘RGtk2’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> checking for pkg-config... no
> checking for INTROSPECTION... no
> checking for GTK... no
> configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required
> ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RGtk2’
> * removing
> ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.4/Resources/library/RGtk2’
> ERROR: dependencies ‘RGtk2’, ‘cairoDevice’ are not available for package
> ‘gWidgetsRGtk2’
> * removing
> ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.4/Resources/library/gWidgetsRGtk2’
> ERROR: dependencies ‘gWidgetsRGtk2’, ‘RGtk2’ are not available for package
> ‘RQDA’
> * removing
> ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.4/Resources/library/RQDA’
>
> The downloaded source packages are in
>
> ‘/private/var/folders/1_/59k3mmjd42q869s4tkbpb0200000gn/T/RtmpeYrG4k/downloaded_packages’
> Warning messages:
> 1: In install.packages("RQDA") :
>  installation of package ‘cairoDevice’ had non-zero exit status
> 2: In install.packages("RQDA") :
>  installation of package ‘RGtk2’ had non-zero exit status
> 3: In install.packages("RQDA") :
>  installation of package ‘gWidgetsRGtk2’ had non-zero exit status
> 4: In install.packages("RQDA") :
>  installation of package ‘RQDA’ had non-zero exit status

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA