Random effects with glm()

Juan Pablo Sánchez
Dear R users:
I am using the glm function in order to analysis data on fertility of rabbit females, the response variable are either 1, the female became pregnant, or 0, she does not. I am using the probit link function. Actually I have several measurement per female, thus it would be nice if  I can include a random permanent effect of female in the model. I order to take into account for the variance covariance estructure of the data.
I supply the calculation in this way:
fert_probit<-glm(fer ~ gae + ctipo  -1,  family = binomial(link="probit"), data = FERTILIDAD)

Thus my question is: Do exit same option in the glm() function to allow for random effects?, similar to the random option in lme()

Thanks in advance
Juan Pablo.

Re: Random effects with glm()

Henric Nilsson

On Ti, 2005-12-20, 13:09, Juan Pablo Sánchez skrev:

> [...]
> Thus my question is: Do exit same option in the glm() function to allow
> for random effects?, similar to the random option in lme()

No, you can't fit GLMMs with the `glm' function. Instead, take a look at
e.g. the `glmmML', `lmer' and `glmmPQL' functions in the glmmML, Matrix
and MASS packages respectively.

HTH,
Henric