Random seed

Steven Yen
I have known from the old days to set a random seed of a LARGE ODD
NUMBER. Now I read instructions of set.seed and it requires ANY INTEGER.
Any idea? Or, does it matter. Thanks.

--
[hidden email] (S.T. Yen)

Re: Random seed

Jeff Newmiller
It doesn't matter. The whole point is to make the pseudo-random sequence repeatable... unless you have a specific reason to avoid repeatability.

On December 22, 2018 5:33:39 PM PST, Steven Yen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I have known from the old days to set a random seed of a LARGE ODD
>NUMBER. Now I read instructions of set.seed and it requires ANY
>INTEGER.
>Any idea? Or, does it matter. Thanks.

Re: Random seed

Jeff Newmiller
For the record, low bitcount RNGs are relatively sensitive to initialization [1] such that rules like the one you reference might make sense for specific designs, but the default RNG used in R is much much more sophisticated than that [2].

[1] http://daviddeley.com/random/random4.htm
[2] ?Random (https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/base/html/Random.html)