Rbbg usurped ?

Tolga Uzuner
Dear R users,

I have some old code that was using Rbbg, which no longer appears to be
working.

I tried to download Rbbg using the line:
install.packages("Rbbg", repos = "http://r.findata.org")

in R version 3.3.2 on a Windows 10 machine and got the following error:

 > install.packages("Rbbg", repos = "http://r.findata.org")
Installing package into ‘C:/Users/Tolga/Documents/R/win-library/3.3’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://r.findata.org/src/contrib:
   cannot open URL 'http://r.findata.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES'
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://r.findata.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.3:
   cannot open URL 'http://r.findata.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.3/PACKAGES'
Warning message:
package ‘Rbbg’ is not available (for R version 3.3.2)

Is Rbbg no longer supported ? Has it been usurped by something else ?
Does this mean I have to rewrite code or is the new package compatible
with code written for Rbbg ?

Thanks in advance

Re: Rbbg usurped ?

Sarah Goslee
If you actually visit that link, you will see that the directory structure
isn't laid out in the way that install.packages() currently expects for a
repo, but that you can still download the package yourself, and presumably
install it from local file.

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 4:41 AM Tolga Uzuner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear R users,
>

> I have some old code that was using Rbbg, which no longer appears to be
>
> working.
>

> I tried to download Rbbg using the line:
>
> install.packages("Rbbg", repos = "http://r.findata.org")
>

> in R version 3.3.2 on a Windows 10 machine and got the following error:
>

>  > install.packages("Rbbg", repos = "http://r.findata.org")
>
> Installing package into ‘C:/Users/Tolga/Documents/R/win-library/3.3’
>
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
>
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
>
> http://r.findata.org/src/contrib:
>
>    cannot open URL 'http://r.findata.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES'
>
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
>
> http://r.findata.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.3:
>
>    cannot open URL 'http://r.findata.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.3/PACKAGES'
>
> Warning message:
>
> package ‘Rbbg’ is not available (for R version 3.3.2)
>
>  >
>

> Is Rbbg no longer supported ? Has it been usurped by something else ?
>
> Does this mean I have to rewrite code or is the new package compatible
>
> with code written for Rbbg ?
>

> Thanks in advance

Re: Rbbg usurped ?

John Laing
I've cleaned up the findata repository, you should now be able to install
Rbbg as expected.

But that said, the package is no longer being actively developed. Recent
efforts have been taking place in the Rblpapi package. The interface is
similar, though not strictly compatible. If you're doing much work with
Bloomberg data I recommend you check it out.

JL

On Dec 28, 2016 5:39 AM, "Sarah Goslee" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you actually visit that link, you will see that the directory structure
> isn't laid out in the way that install.packages() currently expects for a
> repo, but that you can still download the package yourself, and presumably
> install it from local file.
>

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 4:41 AM Tolga Uzuner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear R users,
> >

> > I have some old code that was using Rbbg, which no longer appears to be
> >
> > working.
> >

> > I tried to download Rbbg using the line:
> >
> > install.packages("Rbbg", repos = "http://r.findata.org")
> >

> > in R version 3.3.2 on a Windows 10 machine and got the following error:
> >

> >  > install.packages("Rbbg", repos = "http://r.findata.org")
> >
> > Installing package into ‘C:/Users/Tolga/Documents/R/win-library/3.3’
> >
> > (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> >
> > Warning: unable to access index for repository
> >
> > http://r.findata.org/src/contrib:
> >
> >    cannot open URL 'http://r.findata.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES'
> >
> > Warning: unable to access index for repository
> >
> > http://r.findata.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.3:
> >
> >    cannot open URL 'http://r.findata.org/bin/
> windows/contrib/3.3/PACKAGES'
> >
> > Warning message:
> >
> > package ‘Rbbg’ is not available (for R version 3.3.2)
> >
> >  >
> >

> > Is Rbbg no longer supported ? Has it been usurped by something else ?
> >
> > Does this mean I have to rewrite code or is the new package compatible
> >
> > with code written for Rbbg ?
> >

> > Thanks in advance

> posting-guide.html

Re: Rbbg usurped ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 28 December 2016 at 13:46, John Laing wrote:
| I've cleaned up the findata repository, you should now be able to install
| Rbbg as expected.
|
| But that said, the package is no longer being actively developed. Recent
| efforts have been taking place in the Rblpapi package. The interface is
| similar, though not strictly compatible. If you're doing much work with
| Bloomberg data I recommend you check it out.

Also, Rblpapi is on CRAN and installs like other packages via

    install.packages("Rblpapi")

and update.packages() relieving you from the need to go to findata.org.

Dirk

Re: Rbbg usurped ?

Tolga Uzuner
Many thanks John, Bush, Dirk.