Rcmdr has stopped working

James Rome
On my Mac (Snow Leopard and R64), I had been using Rcmdr nicely. But now
when I do
> library(Rcmdr)
the tk libraries load, but the Rcmdr window never appears.
> library(Rcmdr)

And if I try to do anything else, R goes to 100% cpu and hangs.

How do I recover?

Thanks,
Jim Rome

Re: [R] Rcmdr has stopped working

Fox, John
Dear Jim,

The Rcmdr (version 1.5.4) works for me under R64 (R 2.10.1) and Snow
Leopard. Without more information, it's hard to know what went wrong. Have
you checked whether tcltk works? For example, try

library(tcltk
tk_choose.dir(getwd(), "Choose folder")

I hope this helps,
 John

--------------------------------
John Fox
Senator William McMaster
  Professor of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
web: socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

On

> Behalf Of James Rome
> Sent: January-27-10 1:50 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [R] Rcmdr has stopped working
>
> On my Mac (Snow Leopard and R64), I had been using Rcmdr nicely. But now
> when I do
> > library(Rcmdr)
> the tk libraries load, but the Rcmdr window never appears.
> > library(Rcmdr)
> >

> And if I try to do anything else, R goes to 100% cpu and hangs.
>
> How do I recover?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Rome

Re: [R] Rcmdr has stopped working

James Rome
Apparently tcltk is the issue. That hung my R. How do I reinstall tcltk?

On 1/27/10 3:06 PM, John Fox wrote:
> library(tcltk
> tk_choose.dir(getwd(), "Choose folder")

Re: [R] Rcmdr has stopped working

Fox, John
Dear James,

The tcltk package is part of the standard R distribution. I'm not sure why
it isn't working. You might try reinstalling R or posting a question to the
R-SIG-Mac list about tcltk not working. If you do the latter, you'll
probably get a more informative response if you provide the information
requested in the posting guide, at
<http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html>.

I hope this helps,
 John

Peter Dalgaard
John Fox wrote:

> Dear James,
>
> The tcltk package is part of the standard R distribution. I'm not sure why
> it isn't working. You might try reinstalling R or posting a question to the
> R-SIG-Mac list about tcltk not working. If you do the latter, you'll
> probably get a more informative response if you provide the information
> requested in the posting guide, at
> <http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html>.
>
> I hope this helps,
>  John

You (James) may need to (re?-)install tcl/tk libraries (not the R
package, the underlying system libraries) on the Macs. This had happened
to someone in class this morning, with exactly the same symptoms.

Notice the link to the tools directory from the Mac download page on
CRAN, i.e.:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/tools

-p

--
    O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Ă˜ster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
  (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark      Ph:  (+45) 35327918