Re: NLME Covariates

Robin Martin
HLM question?

Is there a minmum number of observations required for a category..I have
individusals in work teams.I have incomplete data for all the teams
..sometimes I only have data for one person in a team.I assume that HLM
can't work here!  But what would be the mimimal.at the moment I have a
sample of about 240 in about 100 teams with teamsizes form 2 to 5.

Any advice?

Thanks

Robin

Dr Robin Martin

School of Psychology

University of Queensland

Brisbane, QLD 4072

Australia

Level 1, Room 132, McElwain Bldg

tel. +61 7 3365 6392

fax. +61 7 3365 4466

email [hidden email]

web-page http://www.psy.uq.edu.au/people/personal.html?id=275

Re: NLME Covariates

Spencer Graves
          What you think about the following:

 > set.seed(1)
 > DF0.3 <- data.frame(X=c("a","a", "b"), y=rnorm(3))
 > lme(y~1, random=~1|X, data=DF0.3)
Linear mixed-effects model fit by REML
   Data: DF0.3
   Log-restricted-likelihood: -2.148692
   Fixed: y ~ 1
(Intercept)
  -0.4261464

Random effects:
  Formula: ~1 | X
          (Intercept)  Residual
StdDev: 1.280461e-06 0.5383504

Number of Observations: 3
Number of Groups: 2

          hope this helps.
          spencer graves
p.s.  I confess I had difficulties parsing your question.  First, I had
to Google for "HLM".  I figured it was NOT "Home Life Ministries".
"Hierarchical Linear Models" seemed more consistent with the context.
Second, I wasn't even sure about what you meant by "category".  I assume
it's what is returned by the "levels" function when applied to a "factor".