Re: [R] ouml in an .Rd

Paul Gilbert
(moved from r-help)

Ok, UTF-8 works on some of my machines and latin1 on others. If I use
one I get failure or spurious characters when I build on the wrong
machine. Are .Rd files suppose to work on different platforms when there
are special characters, or is this a known limitation?

Paul

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> It means what it says: you need to put the actual character in the file,
> and specify the encoding for the file via \encoding.  (For you, UTF-8 or
> latin1, I would guess.)
>
> It's not a question of trying variations, rather of following instructions.
>
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Paul Gilbert wrote:
>
>> I am trying to put an ouml in an .Rd file with no success. Writing R
>> Extensions suggests:
>>
>> Text which might need to be represented differently in different
>> encodings should be marked by |\enc|, e.g. |\enc{Jöreskog}{Joreskog}|
>> where the first argument will be used where encodings are allowed and
>> the second should be ASCII (and is used for e.g. the text conversion).
>>
>> (Above may get mangled by the mail.) I have tried variations
>>
>>   \enc{J"oreskog}{Joreskog}
>>   \enc{J\"oreskog}{Joreskog}
>>   \enc{Jo\"reskog}{Joreskog}
>>   \enc{Jo\"reskog}{Joreskog}
>>   \enc{J\"{o}reskog}{Joreskog}
>>   \enc{J\\"{o}reskog}{Joreskog}
>>   \enc{Jöoreskog}{Joreskog}
>>
>> all with no effect on the generated pdf file.  Suggestions would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul Gilbert

Re: [R] ouml in an .Rd

Martin Maechler

    PaulG> (moved from r-help) Ok, UTF-8 works on some of my
    PaulG> machines and latin1 on others. If I use one I get
    PaulG> failure or spurious characters when I build on the
    PaulG> wrong machine. Are .Rd files suppose to work on
    PaulG> different platforms when there are special
    PaulG> characters,

yes, they are. That's why we have \encoding{} and \enc{}
nowadays, and the "Writing R Extensions" manual has been
documenting this for a while, currently [an excerpt:]

 >> 2.10 Encoding
 >> =============
 >>
 >> `Rd' files  are text files  and so it  is impossible to  deduce the
 >> encoding they are written in: ASCII, UTF-8, Latin-1, Latin-9 _etc_.  So
 >> the  `\encoding{}' directive  must  be  used  to specify  the
 >> encoding: if not present the processing to HTML assumes that the file is
 >> in Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1).   This is used when creating  the header of the
 >> HTML conversion  and to make a  comment in the examples  file.  It is
 >> also used to indicate to LaTeX how to process the file (see below).
 >>
 >>    Wherever possible, avoid non-ASCII chars in `Rd' files.
 >>
 >>    For convenience, encoding names `latin1' and `latin2' are always
 >> recognized: these and `UTF-8' are likely to work fairly widely.

I'm a bit surprised that you haven't succeeded finding this
information in the extension manual.
After all, it's  *the*  R manual for package writers.

Martin

    PaulG> or is this a known limitation?

(not at all)

    PaulG> Paul

    PaulG> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

    >> It means what it says: you need to put the actual
    >> character in the file, and specify the encoding for the
    >> file via \encoding.  (For you, UTF-8 or latin1, I would
    >> guess.)
    >>
    >> It's not a question of trying variations, rather of
    >> following instructions.
    >>
    >> On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Paul Gilbert wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to put an ouml in an .Rd file with no
    >>> success. Writing R Extensions suggests:
    >>>
    >>> Text which might need to be represented differently in
    >>> different encodings should be marked by |\enc|,
    >>> e.g. |\enc{Jöreskog}{Joreskog}| where the first argument
    >>> will be used where encodings are allowed and the second
    >>> should be ASCII (and is used for e.g. the text
    >>> conversion).
    >>>
    >>> (Above may get mangled by the mail.) I have tried
    >>> variations
    >>>
    >>> \enc{J"oreskog}{Joreskog} \enc{J\"oreskog}{Joreskog}
    >>> \enc{Jo\"reskog}{Joreskog} \enc{Jo\"reskog}{Joreskog}
    >>> \enc{J\"{o}reskog}{Joreskog}
    >>> \enc{J\\"{o}reskog}{Joreskog}
    >>> \enc{J&ouml;oreskog}{Joreskog}
    >>>
    >>> all with no effect on the generated pdf file.
    >>> Suggestions would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Paul Gilbert

    PaulG> [hidden email] mailing list
    PaulG> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel