Re: Wishlist - Give R a name that shows up in search engines ...

Re: Wishlist - Give R a name that shows up in search engines ...

Liaw, Andy
From: Dirk Eddelbuettel

> On 7 March 2006 at 10:55, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> | I have given up on "R" with any topic on Google quite some time ago
> | (because bits from fragmented postscript/pdf files show up, for
> | example) - but using "r-devel" with topic normally gives me enough.
> | YMMV.
>
> Nobody seems to have mentioned the RSiteSearch() function
> which automagically restrict the search to domains relevant
> to the contect of "our" use of the letter R. I quite like
> that as I tend to have an R prompt open when I am puzzled by
> R questions ...

My guess is that people were hoping to find things outside of what Jon made
available or what's on or linked from www.r-project.org.  I believe that's
not going to be very productive (at least for now).  I don't think there's a
whole lot of things related to R that isn't found in those two places.

Andy

> Dirk
>
> --
> Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
>                                                   -- Thomas A. Edison

Re: Wishlist - Give R a name that shows up in search engines ...

Roger J. Bos
Indeed, when I was writing code in Java or VBA and I needed code, say to
buble sort or invert a CDF, I could find many examples on the web since the
user base was so large.  R has something better: CRAN.  It was really smart
to make a central repository where useRs can share code.  No other language
that I can think of really has an equivalent.  All I have to do it search
CRAN and I can find 99% of what out there (I'm making a guess on the actual
number here).

Besides, I don't need to write bubble sort routines anymore because almost
everything I need is already built into R.

On 3/7/06, Liaw, Andy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
> >
> > On 7 March 2006 at 10:55, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> > | I have given up on "R" with any topic on Google quite some time ago
> > | (because bits from fragmented postscript/pdf files show up, for
> > | example) - but using "r-devel" with topic normally gives me enough.
> > | YMMV.
> >
> > Nobody seems to have mentioned the RSiteSearch() function
> > which automagically restrict the search to domains relevant
> > to the contect of "our" use of the letter R. I quite like
> > that as I tend to have an R prompt open when I am puzzled by
> > R questions ...
>
> My guess is that people were hoping to find things outside of what Jon
> made
> available or what's on or linked from www.r-project.org.  I believe that's
> not going to be very productive (at least for now).  I don't think there's
> whole lot of things related to R that isn't found in those two places.
>
> Andy
>
> > Dirk
> >
> > --
> > Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
> >                                                   -- Thomas A. Edison

Re: Wishlist - Give R a name that shows up in search engines ...

Henrik Bengtsson-2
On 3/8/06, roger bos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Indeed, when I was writing code in Java or VBA and I needed code, say to
> buble sort or invert a CDF, I could find many examples on the web since the
> user base was so large.  R has something better: CRAN.  It was really smart
> to make a central repository where useRs can share code.  No other language
> that I can think of really has an equivalent.  All I have to do it search
> CRAN and I can find 99% of what out there (I'm making a guess on the actual
> number here).

Don't forget, there's also life outside CRAN ;)

/Henrik

> Besides, I don't need to write bubble sort routines anymore because almost
> everything I need is already built into R.
>

> On 3/7/06, Liaw, Andy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > From: Dirk Eddelbuettel

> > > Nobody seems to have mentioned the RSiteSearch() function
> > > which automagically restrict the search to domains relevant
> > > to the contect of "our" use of the letter R. I quite like
> > > that as I tend to have an R prompt open when I am puzzled by
> > > R questions ...
> >
> > My guess is that people were hoping to find things outside of what Jon
> > made
> > available or what's on or linked from www.r-project.org.  I believe that's
> > not going to be very productive (at least for now).  I don't think there's
> > whole lot of things related to R that isn't found in those two places.
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > > Dirk
> > >
> > > --
> > > Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
> > >                                                   -- Thomas A. Edison

Henrik Bengtsson
Mobile: +46 708 909208 (+1h UTC)

Re: Wishlist - Give R a name that shows up in search engines ...

Jeffrey Horner
On 7 March 2006 at 10:55, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
| I have given up on "R" with any topic on Google quite some time ago
| (because bits from fragmented postscript/pdf files show up, for
| example) - but using "r-devel" with topic normally gives me enough.
| YMMV.

I think Google's filetype searching can be very useful. This was
discussed on R-help last May. Someone also pointed out that searching in
this way would bring up lots of Rebol code, but that's easily weeded out:

filetype:R -rebol apply

and of the 10 hits (of 12,300) on the first page of results, only 1
points to an R project website.

--
Jeffrey Horner       Computer Systems Analyst         School of Medicine
615-322-8606         Department of Biostatistics   Vanderbilt University

Re: Wishlist - Give R a name that shows up in search engines ...

Hin-Tak Leung-2
roger bos wrote:
> Indeed, when I was writing code in Java or VBA and I needed code, say to
> buble sort or invert a CDF, I could find many examples on the web since
> the user base was so large.  R has something better: CRAN.  It was
> really smart to make a central repository where useRs can share code.
> No other language that I can think of really has an equivalent.  All I
> have to do it search CRAN and I can find 99% of what out there (I'm
> making a guess on the actual number here).
<snipped>

Hang on there - "No other language that I can think of really has
an equivalent." - have you heard of CPAN, and CTAN? CRAN
was modelled *after* CPAN, which in turn was modelled after CTAN...
Either of them is far bigger in size, far older in history, and far
more well-established.

In fact, I am sorry to say, the search engine of either CPAN or CTAN
are better than CRAN's. (this last sentence is subjective, of course).

Obviously not a Perl nor TeX user then.

(probably not a good idea to express this on r-devel, nevermind)

HTL

Re: Wishlist - Give R a name that shows up in search engines ...

Friedrich.Leisch

  > roger bos wrote:
  >> Indeed, when I was writing code in Java or VBA and I needed code, say to
  >> buble sort or invert a CDF, I could find many examples on the web since
  >> the user base was so large.  R has something better: CRAN.  It was
  >> really smart to make a central repository where useRs can share code.
  >> No other language that I can think of really has an equivalent.  All I
  >> have to do it search CRAN and I can find 99% of what out there (I'm
  >> making a guess on the actual number here).
  > <snipped>

  > Hang on there - "No other language that I can think of really has
  > an equivalent." - have you heard of CPAN, and CTAN? CRAN
  > was modelled *after* CPAN, which in turn was modelled after CTAN...
  > Either of them is far bigger in size, far older in history, and far
  > more well-established.

  > In fact, I am sorry to say, the search engine of either CPAN or CTAN
  > are better than CRAN's. (this last sentence is subjective, of course).

  > Obviously not a Perl nor TeX user then.

  > (probably not a good idea to express this on r-devel, nevermind)

No problem at all ... I take it you volunteer to design, setup, host,
and maintain a better system?

Best,
Fritz