Re: 'sessionInfo()' instead of 'version'

Re: 'sessionInfo()' instead of 'version'

RKoenker

In a private response to Tony Plate's suggestion to replace version()
output with sessionInfo() in R-help requests,

> roger koenker wrote:
>> Thanks for this, it would seem useful to have version numbers for
>> the packages too?

and Tony replied,

> Sounds sensible to me!  If I were you I'd send a message to R-devel
> suggesting this.  AFAIK, some changes to sessionInfo() are already
> being considered, so this is a good time to suggest that.

So, for what it is worth....

Roger

PS  My notion is that it is sometimes useful to document the state of
play
when a particular object was created, much like the recent thread on
date stamping of objects in R-help.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    [hidden email]            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820

Re: 'sessionInfo()' instead of 'version'

Duncan Murdoch
On 12/29/2005 3:07 PM, roger koenker wrote:

> In a private response to Tony Plate's suggestion to replace version()
> output with sessionInfo() in R-help requests,
>

>>roger koenker wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for this, it would seem useful to have version numbers for
>>>the packages too?
>

> and Tony replied,
>
>>Sounds sensible to me!  If I were you I'd send a message to R-devel
>>suggesting this.  AFAIK, some changes to sessionInfo() are already
>>being considered, so this is a good time to suggest that.
>

> So, for what it is worth....
>
> Roger
>
> PS  My notion is that it is sometimes useful to document the state of
> play
> when a particular object was created, much like the recent thread on
> date stamping of objects in R-help.

I'm not sure what you're asking for.  This is what I see in R-patched;
it's very similar to what 2.1.1 shows:

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.2.1, 2005-12-27, i386-pc-mingw32

attached base packages:
[1] "splines"   "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"
[7] "datasets"  "base"

other attached packages:
multtest survival
  "1.8.0"   "2.20"

There's no point showing the versions of base packages, because they
match the R version.  What other information would you like to see?

So far the following reasonable suggestions have been made.  I forget
where they were posted, so you may not have seen them:

  - the Subversion revision number, at least for non-released versions
  - the version number of the GUI, at least for OS X (where it changes
independently of R).

Re: 'sessionInfo()' instead of 'version'

Martin Maechler

    roger> In a private response to Tony Plate's suggestion to
    roger> replace version() output with sessionInfo() in R-help
    roger> requests,

    >> roger koenker wrote:
    >>> Thanks for this, it would seem useful to have version
    >>> numbers for the packages too?

    roger> and Tony replied,
    >>  Sounds sensible to me!  If I were you I'd send a message
    >> to R-devel suggesting this.  AFAIK, some changes to
    >> sessionInfo() are already being considered, so this is a
    >> good time to suggest that.

    roger> So, for what it is worth....

but the version numbers of the non-standard packages are
*there* -- so what do you mean ?

  > sessionInfo()
  R version 2.2.1, 2005-12-20, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

  attached base packages:
  [1] "graphics"  "grDevices" "datasets"  "utils"     "methods"   "stats"
  [7] "base"

  other attached packages:
   cluster fortunes  sfsmisc
  "1.10.2"  "1.2-0" "0.95-2"

Re: 'sessionInfo()' instead of 'version'

RKoenker
My fault,  what you show is exactly what I wanted...

On Dec 29, 2005, at 3:09 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 12/29/2005 3:07 PM, roger koenker wrote:
>> In a private response to Tony Plate's suggestion to replace version()
>> output with sessionInfo() in R-help requests,

>> and Tony replied,
>>> Sounds sensible to me!  If I were you I'd send a message to R-
>>> devel  suggesting this.  AFAIK, some changes to sessionInfo() are
>>> already  being considered, so this is a good time to suggest that.
>> So, for what it is worth....
>> Roger
>> PS  My notion is that it is sometimes useful to document the state
>> of  play
>> when a particular object was created, much like the recent thread on
>> date stamping of objects in R-help.
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking for.  This is what I see in R-
> patched; it's very similar to what 2.1.1 shows:
>
> > sessionInfo()
> R version 2.2.1, 2005-12-27, i386-pc-mingw32
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] "splines"   "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices"
> "utils"
> [7] "datasets"  "base"
>
> other attached packages:
> multtest survival
>  "1.8.0"   "2.20"
>
> There's no point showing the versions of base packages, because
> they match the R version.  What other information would you like to
> see?
>
> So far the following reasonable suggestions have been made.  I
> forget where they were posted, so you may not have seen them:
>
>  - the Subversion revision number, at least for non-released versions
>  - the version number of the GUI, at least for OS X (where it
> changes independently of R).
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Re: 'sessionInfo()' instead of 'version'

Seth Falcon-2
On 29 Dec 2005, [hidden email] wrote:
> So far the following reasonable suggestions have been made.  I
> forget where they were posted, so you may not have seen them:
>
> - the Subversion revision number, at least for non-released versions
> - the version number of the GUI, at least for OS X (where it changes
> independently of R).

Perhaps it doesn't count as reasonable, but another suggestion (made
by me) was:

 - Include output of loadedNamespaces().

+ seth

On 12/29/2005 5:13 PM, Seth Falcon wrote:

> On 29 Dec 2005, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>So far the following reasonable suggestions have been made.  I
>>forget where they were posted, so you may not have seen them:
>>
>>- the Subversion revision number, at least for non-released versions
>>- the version number of the GUI, at least for OS X (where it changes
>>independently of R).
>

> Perhaps it doesn't count as reasonable, but another suggestion (made
> by me) was:
>
>  - Include output of loadedNamespaces().

I didn't see that one (or forgot I did), its omission wasn't an
editorial judgement.

Re: 'sessionInfo()' instead of 'version'

Brian Ripley
Are there known instances of this helping the diagnosis of a problem?

My impression is that more details of the OS/compilers used is the thing
which is most commonly needed to help with remote diagnosis.