Red: RFC: (in-principle) native unquoting for standard evaluation

Red: RFC: (in-principle) native unquoting for standard evaluation

John Mount
Obviously we have to be sensitive about language and parser changes.  However, I think Jonathan Carroll has identified a feature that is well understood in the Lisp world (quoting and unquoting) that is missing from the R language.  Some symbol that indirects to a value (only once!, we don’t want this chaining; and there are issues of quoting it out) in eval would be very valuable.  Obviously it is most useful where non-standard evaluation is emphasized (plotting, formulas, and dplyr being the examples that I can immediately think of).

John Mount
http://www.win-vector.com/ <http://www.win-vector.com/>
Our book: Practical Data Science with R https://www.manning.com/books/practical-data-science-with-r <https://www.manning.com/books/practical-data-science-with-r>