Refreshing X11 plots

Ted.Harding
Hi Folks,

This question (or very similar) seems to have been
asked before, acorsding to R Site Search:

Timur Elzhov on June 23 2003
David B. Dahl on March 01 2002
(though the latter appears to have date April 10 2003 according
to the search result, but the above is the archive date).

Situation: I plot a lot of stuff in an X11 window (device #2),
and then with X11() open a new X11 wibdow (device #3) and plot
a lot of similar stuff. So, at this stage, device 3 is active.

Now I move away from that screen (switching to a different
"desktop"), to do something else; and when I move back to
where I was the "active" display (#3) refreshes itself, but
the "inactive" one (#2) is blank and I have found no trick to
get it to refresh itself short of replaying all the commands
needed to draw the plot in the first place.

This is a similar issue to the one stated in the two mails referred
to above, neither of which seems to have received an answer.

Is there a way to refresh the plot without re-plotting it from
scratch? (R on Linux with X11).

With thanks, and best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[hidden email]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 04-Feb-06                                       Time: 19:47:42

Re: Refreshing X11 plots

Ted.Harding
Correction to description: see below.

On 04-Feb-06 Ted Harding wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> This question (or very similar) seems to have been
> asked before, acorsding to R Site Search:
>
> Timur Elzhov on June 23 2003
> David B. Dahl on March 01 2002
> (though the latter appears to have date April 10 2003 according
> to the search result, but the above is the archive date).
>
> Situation: I plot a lot of stuff in an X11 window (device #2),
> and then with X11() open a new X11 wibdow (device #3) and plot
> a lot of similar stuff. So, at this stage, device 3 is active.
>
> Now I move away from that screen (switching to a different
> "desktop"), to do something else; and when I move back to
> where I was the "active" display (#3) refreshes itself, but
> the "inactive" one (#2) is blank and I have found no trick to
> get it to refresh itself short of replaying all the commands
> needed to draw the plot in the first place.

In fact it is apparently the plot on device #2 (the first device
opened) which refreshes itself, and the second plot (on device #3)
which goes blank and stays blank, regardless of the order in which
the plots are created and which device is currently active. Apologies!

Date: 04-Feb-06                                       Time: 20:11:18