Remove a complete row as per the Range in a Matrix

Remove a complete row as per the Range in a Matrix

R_Antony
Hi,

Here i have a Matrix

MyMatrix <-

Name            Age
---------           -------
ANTONY        27
IMRAN           30
RAJ                   22
NAHAS           32
GEO                 42

and here i have an array with Minimum and Maximum values.
MinMaxArray  <- data.frame(MIN = 25,MAX=35)
MIN     MAX
------     --------
25           35
Now what is, i need to get a matrix by removing the rows which is NOT coming the "Age"-column in between the MIN and MAX value.  Is it possible to avoid "for-loop", bcz its a huge matrix.

so, final matrix looks like this,

Name            Age
---------           -------
ANTONY        27
IMRAN           30
NAHAS           32

- Thanks in advance,
Antony.

Re: Remove a complete row as per the Range in a Matrix

Rui Barradas
Hello,

Please learn how to use dput(), it's not your first post.
And try the following.

myMatrix <- data.matrix(read.table(text="
Name            Age
ANTONY        27
IMRAN           30
RAJ                   22
NAHAS           32
GEO                 42
", header=TRUE))

MinMaxArray  <- data.frame(MIN = 25,MAX=35)

inx <- MinMaxArray[[ "MIN" ]] <= myMatrix[, "Age"] & myMatrix[, "Age"]
<= MinMaxArray[[ "MAX" ]]
myMatrix[ inx , ]

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas
Em 31-07-2012 08:58, Rantony escreveu:

> Hi,
>
> Here i have a Matrix
>
> MyMatrix <-
>
> Name            Age
> ---------           -------
> ANTONY        27
> IMRAN           30
> RAJ                   22
> NAHAS           32
> GEO                 42
>
> and here i have an array with Minimum and Maximum values.
> MinMaxArray  <- data.frame(MIN = 25,MAX=35)
> MIN     MAX
> ------     --------
> 25           35
> Now what is, i need to get a matrix by removing the rows which is NOT coming
> the "Age"-column in between the MIN and MAX value.  Is it possible to avoid
> "for-loop", bcz its a huge matrix.
>
> so, final matrix looks like this,
>
> Name            Age
> ---------           -------
> ANTONY        27
> IMRAN           30
> NAHAS           32
>

> - Thanks in advance,
> Antony.

Re: Remove a complete row as per the Range in a Matrix

arun kirshna
Try this:
myMatrix<-read.table(text="
Name            Age
ANTONY        27
IMRAN          30
RAJ                  22
NAHAS          32
GEO                42
",sep="",header=TRUE)
MinMaxArray  <- data.frame(MIN = 25,MAX=35)
myMatrix[myMatrix$Age<=MinMaxArray$MAX & myMatrix$Age>=MinMaxArray$MIN,]
  #  Name Age
#1 ANTONY  27
#2  IMRAN  30
#4  NAHAS  32

#or
subset(myMatrix,myMatrix$Age<=MinMaxArray$MAX & myMatrix$Age>=MinMaxArray$MIN)
#    Name Age
#1 ANTONY  27
#2  IMRAN  30
#4  NAHAS  32

A.K.

#1 ANTONY  27
#2  IMRAN  30
#4  NAHAS  32

#or
#1 ANTONY  27
#2  IMRAN  30
#4  NAHAS  32
A.K.

Re: Remove a complete row as per the Range in a Matrix

David Winsemius

On Jul 31, 2012, at 1:31 AM, Rui Barradas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Please learn how to use dput(), it's not your first post.
> And try the following.
>

> myMatrix <- data.matrix(read.table(text="

I think the data.matrix transformation is a bad idea. It forces the
numeric values to be character and the collation sequence is driven
off the first letter, so "19" is less than "9", and "1010" is less
than "2"
> Name            Age
> ANTONY        27
> IMRAN           30
> RAJ                   22
> NAHAS           32
> GEO                 42
> ", header=TRUE))

Why not just:

myDF <- read.table(text="Name            Age
ANTONY        27
IMRAN           30
RAJ                   22
NAHAS           32
GEO                 42
", header=TRUE)

MinMax <- c(MIN = 25,MAX=35)
# using a named vector rather than a two column dataframe

 > myDF[ myDF$Age > MinMax["MIN"] & myDF$Age < MinMax["MAX"] , ]
     Name Age
1 ANTONY  27
2  IMRAN  30
4  NAHAS  32

--
David.

--

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA

Re: Remove a complete row as per the Range in a Matrix

arun kirshna
You could also use ifelse.

myDF <- read.table(text="Name            Age
ANTONY        27
IMRAN           30
RAJ                   22
NAHAS           32
GEO                 42
", sep="",header=TRUE)
MinMax<-data.frame(Age=c(25,35))
 myDF[ifelse(myDF$Age < max(MinMax$Age) & myDF$Age > min(MinMax$Age),TRUE,FALSE),]
    Name Age
1 ANTONY  27
2  IMRAN  30
4  NAHAS  32