Revolutions blog: December 2017 roundup

R help mailing list-2
Since 2008, Microsoft (formerly Revolution Analytics) staff and guests have
written about R at the Revolutions blog (http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com)
and every month I post a summary of articles from the previous month of
particular interest to readers of r-help.

In case you missed them, here are some articles related to R from the
month of December:

Hadley Wickham's Shiny app for making eggnog:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/merry-christmas-and-happy-new-year.html

Using R to analyze the vocal range of pop singers:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/because-its-friday-deck-the-halls.html

A tour of the data.table package from its creator, Matt Dowle:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/data-table-video.html

The European R Users Meeting (eRum) will be held in Budapest, May 14-18:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/erum-2018.html

Winners of the ASA Police Data Challenge student visualization contest:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/police-data-challenge.html

An introduction to seplyr, a re-skinning of the dplyr package to a standard
evaluation interface:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/introduction-to-seplyr.html

How to run R (and the rest of the Linux ecosystem) in the Windows Subsystem for
Linux:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/r-in-the-windows-subsystem-for-linux.html

A chart of Bechdel scores, showing representation of women in movies over time:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/a-chart-of-bechdel-test-scores.html

The British Ecological Society's Guide to Reproducible Science advocates the use
of R and Rmarkdown:
http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/bes-reproducible-science.html

Eight modules from the Microsoft AI School cover Microsoft R and SQL Server ML
Services: http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/ml-server-ai-path.html

And some general interest stories (not necessarily related to R):

* Kate Crawford's keynote from NIPS 2017 on the issue of bias in artificial
  intelligence applications:
  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/the-trouble-with-bias-by-kate-crawford.html,
  a topic also covered in the Microsoft AI Blog
  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/on-the-biases-in-data.html

* The original Star Wars movie was a dud before it was rescued in editing:
  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/because-its-friday-editing-star-wars.html

* I'm now a member of the Cloud Developer Advocates team at Microsoft:
  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/cloud-advocate.html

* A Disney animator draws in 3-D with a virtual reality kit:
  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/because-its-friday-3-d-animation.html

* A very, very wide web page visualizes the Solar System to scale:
  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2017/12/because-its-friday-1-pixel-moon.html

As always, thanks for the comments and please keep sending suggestions to
me at [hidden email] or via Twitter (I'm @revodavid).

Cheers,
# David

--
David M Smith <[hidden email]>
Developer Advocate, Microsoft Cloud & Enterprise

Re: Revolutions blog: December 2017 roundup

Doran, Harold
The blog post that the vocal range directs to is *highly* offensive and off color and in very poo taste to share with this group.

Re: [FORGED] Re: Revolutions blog: December 2017 roundup

Rolf Turner

On 10/01/18 07:47, Doran, Harold wrote:

> The blog post that the vocal range directs to is *highly* offensive and
> off color and in very poo taste to share with this group.

Huh?  And furthermore ???.

cheers,

Rolf

P. S.  Moreover:  "poo taste"!!! :-)

R.

--
Technical Editor ANZJS
Department of Statistics

Re: [FORGED] RE: [FORGED] Re: Revolutions blog: December 2017 roundup

Rolf Turner

On 10/01/18 09:31, Doran, Harold wrote:

> It would be better for you to instead read the blog post that
> uses extremely derogatory language instead of your silly post below.

I did read it, somewhat cursorily I admit, and saw no derogatory
language whatever, which is why I was puzzled.

cheers,

Rolf

--
Technical Editor ANZJS
Department of Statistics
University of Auckland
Phone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276

Re: [FORGED] RE: [FORGED] Re: Revolutions blog: December 2017 roundup

Rui Barradas
Hello,

I didn't like the video but that has nothing to do with the language, I
just happen to prefer other type(s) of music.

Rui Barradas