Quantcast

Rtools for building 64 bit windows packages

Rtools for building 64 bit windows packages

Sharpie
Hello R developers,

I sincerely apologize if the answer to this question is clearly documented somewhere, but I was unable to figure it out over my morning coffee.

I just downloaded today's release of R 2.11.0 and installed it on my Windows 7 64 bit VM.  I also downloaded the latest version of Rtools211 from Professor Murdoch's site.   The first thing I attempted to do was build some of my packages from source to check that they work with the new version.  I got the following error message:

  making DLL ...
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -I"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-211~1.0-X/include"         -O2 -Wall  -std=gnu99 -c tikzDevice.c -o tikzDevice.o
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc: not found

This does not surprise me, R 2.11.0 is hot out of the forge and Rtools probably hasn't been repacked to support the 64 bit version.  I gathered from the Windows FAQ and the list archives that the MinGW-w64 project supplies the compilers and linkers used by the 64 bit version- I visited their site and found the selection of packages available for download... confusing.

I guess what I'm asking:

  * Do I use the Cygwin binaries?

  * If not, is there an officially "blessed" binary distribution of Windows x86_64 compilers and binutils?

  * If not, do I build the x86_64 toolchain from the current HEAD, or is there a specific revision that has been determined to be stable?

Thanks for your time and effort on maintaining and enhancing such a wonderful language!

-Charlie
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University

Re: Rtools for building 64 bit windows packages

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 22/04/2010 3:04 PM, Sharpie wrote:

> Hello R developers,
>
> I sincerely apologize if the answer to this question is clearly documented
> somewhere, but I was unable to figure it out over my morning coffee.
>
> I just downloaded today's release of R 2.11.0 and installed it on my Windows
> 7 64 bit VM.  I also downloaded the latest version of Rtools211 from
> Professor Murdoch's site.   The first thing I attempted to do was build some
> of my packages from source to check that they work with the new version.  I
> got the following error message:
>
>   making DLL ...
> x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -I"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-211~1.0-X/include"         -O2
> -Wall  -std=gnu99 -c tikzDevice.c -o tikzDevice.o
> x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc: not found
>
> This does not surprise me, R 2.11.0 is hot out of the forge and Rtools
> probably hasn't been repacked to support the 64 bit version.  I gathered
> from the Windows FAQ and the list archives that the MinGW-w64 project
> supplies the compilers and linkers used by the 64 bit version- I visited
> their site and found the selection of packages available for download...
> confusing.
>
> I guess what I'm asking:
>
>   * Do I use the Cygwin binaries?

You can use the Rtools for the stuff other than the compilers.  You need
the MinGW 64 bit versions of the compilers; they are not nicely packaged
yet, but the instructions for finding them are in the new version of the
R-admin manual, in the section 3.3, "Building R for 64 bit Windows".

Duncan Murdoch

>   * If not, is there an officially "blessed" binary distribution of Windows
> x86_64 compilers and binutils?
>
>   * If not, do I build the x86_64 toolchain from the current HEAD, or is
> there a specific revision that has been determined to be stable?
>

> Thanks for your time and effort on maintaining and enhancing such a
> wonderful language!
>
> -Charlie
>
> -----
> Charlie Sharpsteen
> Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
> Humboldt State University

Re: Rtools for building 64 bit windows packages

Sharpie
Duncan Murdoch-2 wrote
You can use the Rtools for the stuff other than the compilers.  You need
the MinGW 64 bit versions of the compilers; they are not nicely packaged
yet, but the instructions for finding them are in the new version of the
R-admin manual, in the section 3.3, "Building R for 64 bit Windows".
Ahh, thank you Duncan- this was exactly the information I was looking for.  When I looked in R-admin this morning, I skipped straight to Appendix D as I wasn't interested in building R, just packages.

Thanks again!