Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

123

Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Hi R-helpers:
Can you offer assistance in my getting .Rprofile and .Rprofile.site to
run in RStudio?
When I start RStudio nothing happens.
I have put .Rprofile in [1] and [2], and .Rprofile.site in [2].

Below, the info I believe you need to know.
Thanks, in advance, for any help.
Bruce

The .Rprofile and .Rprofile.site are R-type files, which contain the two
lines below.
Also, I tried the profile files as text files.
options(prompt="R> ")
set.seed(12345)

>Sys.getenv("HOME") [1] "C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents"
>Sys.getenv("R_HOME") [2] "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-33~1.3"

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

R help mailing list-2
I think the site-specific R profile should be, using R syntax
   file.path(R.home("etc"), "Rprofile.site") # no dot before the capital R
The personal R profile will be
   file.path(Sys.getenv("HOME"), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
but if a local R profile,
   file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
exists it will be used and the one in HOME will not be.  (getwd() should
be the startup directory.)

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 9:06 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi R-helpers:
> Can you offer assistance in my getting .Rprofile and .Rprofile.site to run
> in RStudio?
> When I start RStudio nothing happens.
> I have put .Rprofile in [1] and [2], and .Rprofile.site in [2].
>
> Below, the info I believe you need to know.
> Thanks, in advance, for any help.
> Bruce
>
> The .Rprofile and .Rprofile.site are R-type files, which contain the two
> lines below.
> Also, I tried the profile files as text files.
> options(prompt="R> ")
> set.seed(12345)
>
>> Sys.getenv("HOME") [1] "C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents"
>> Sys.getenv("R_HOME") [2] "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-33~1.3"

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Bill:
Thanks for reply.
Sorry, I do not understand it.
For example, where do I put "file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile")" ?

Bruce

William Dunlap wrote:

> I think the site-specific R profile should be, using R syntax
>     file.path(R.home("etc"), "Rprofile.site") # no dot before the capital R
> The personal R profile will be
>     file.path(Sys.getenv("HOME"), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
> but if a local R profile,
>     file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
> exists it will be used and the one in HOME will not be.  (getwd() should
> be the startup directory.)
>

> Bill Dunlap
> TIBCO Software
> wdunlap tibco.com
>

> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 9:06 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi R-helpers:
>> Can you offer assistance in my getting .Rprofile and .Rprofile.site to run
>> in RStudio?
>> When I start RStudio nothing happens.
>> I have put .Rprofile in [1] and [2], and .Rprofile.site in [2].
>>
>> Below, the info I believe you need to know.
>> Thanks, in advance, for any help.
>> Bruce
>>
>> The .Rprofile and .Rprofile.site are R-type files, which contain the two
>> lines below.
>> Also, I tried the profile files as text files.
>> options(prompt="R> ")
>> set.seed(12345)
>>
>>> Sys.getenv("HOME") [1] "C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents"
>>> Sys.getenv("R_HOME") [2] "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-33~1.3"

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

David Winsemius

> On Apr 15, 2017, at 12:14 PM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bill:
> Thanks for reply.
> Sorry, I do not understand it.
> For example, where do I put "file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile")" ?

This is not the correct venue for questions about RStudio setup. Instead this questions should go to:

https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us

--
David.

> Bruce
>

> William Dunlap wrote:
>> I think the site-specific R profile should be, using R syntax
>>    file.path(R.home("etc"), "Rprofile.site") # no dot before the capital R
>> The personal R profile will be
>>    file.path(Sys.getenv("HOME"), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
>> but if a local R profile,
>>    file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
>> exists it will be used and the one in HOME will not be.  (getwd() should
>> be the startup directory.)
>>

>> Bill Dunlap
>> TIBCO Software
>> wdunlap tibco.com
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 9:06 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi R-helpers:
>>> Can you offer assistance in my getting .Rprofile and .Rprofile.site to run
>>> in RStudio?
>>> When I start RStudio nothing happens.
>>> I have put .Rprofile in [1] and [2], and .Rprofile.site in [2].
>>>
>>> Below, the info I believe you need to know.
>>> Thanks, in advance, for any help.
>>> Bruce
>>>
>>> The .Rprofile and .Rprofile.site are R-type files, which contain the two
>>> lines below.
>>> Also, I tried the profile files as text files.
>>> options(prompt="R> ")
>>> set.seed(12345)

>>> --

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Boris Steipe
As with R, do with RStudio: Read The Beautiful Manual, and peruse The Google. For example, searching Google with the two (admittedly hard to guess) cryptograms:
  "RStudio Rprofile"

will present more than a dozen most enlightening links to fulfil your desire.

Perhaps the following link works better for you though:
  https://www.bing.com/search?q=rstudio+rprofile

B.

> On Apr 15, 2017, at 3:14 PM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bill:
> Thanks for reply.
> Sorry, I do not understand it.
> For example, where do I put "file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile")" ?
>
> Bruce
>

> William Dunlap wrote:
>> I think the site-specific R profile should be, using R syntax
>>    file.path(R.home("etc"), "Rprofile.site") # no dot before the capital R
>> The personal R profile will be
>>    file.path(Sys.getenv("HOME"), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
>> but if a local R profile,
>>    file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
>> exists it will be used and the one in HOME will not be.  (getwd() should
>> be the startup directory.)
>>

>> Bill Dunlap
>> TIBCO Software
>> wdunlap tibco.com
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 9:06 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi R-helpers:
>>> Can you offer assistance in my getting .Rprofile and .Rprofile.site to run
>>> in RStudio?
>>> When I start RStudio nothing happens.
>>> I have put .Rprofile in [1] and [2], and .Rprofile.site in [2].
>>>
>>> Below, the info I believe you need to know.
>>> Thanks, in advance, for any help.
>>> Bruce
>>>
>>> The .Rprofile and .Rprofile.site are R-type files, which contain the two
>>> lines below.
>>> Also, I tried the profile files as text files.
>>> options(prompt="R> ")
>>> set.seed(12345)

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
David:
Thank you.
Bruce

Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
The Significant Statistician™
(516) 791-3544
Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net

David Winsemius wrote:

>> On Apr 15, 2017, at 12:14 PM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Bill:
>> Thanks for reply.
>> Sorry, I do not understand it.
>> For example, where do I put "file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile")" ?
> This is not the correct venue for questions about RStudio setup. Instead this questions should go to:
>
> https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Boris:
As before, you assume that I, Bruce Ratner, just asks questions without
first trying it myself.
FYI: I purchased and read four RStudio books, as well as all the links I
found in the web.
I will not take your maligning me.
Please try to assist me, but do not bully me.
Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.

Boris Steipe wrote:

> As with R, do with RStudio: Read The Beautiful Manual, and peruse The Google. For example, searching Google with the two (admittedly hard to guess) cryptograms:
>    "RStudio Rprofile"
>
> will present more than a dozen most enlightening links to fulfil your desire.
>
> Perhaps the following link works better for you though:
>    https://www.bing.com/search?q=rstudio+rprofile
>
> B.
>

>> On Apr 15, 2017, at 3:14 PM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Bill:
>> Thanks for reply.
>> Sorry, I do not understand it.
>> For example, where do I put "file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile")" ?
>>
>> Bruce
>>

>> William Dunlap wrote:
>>> I think the site-specific R profile should be, using R syntax
>>>     file.path(R.home("etc"), "Rprofile.site") # no dot before the capital R
>>> The personal R profile will be
>>>     file.path(Sys.getenv("HOME"), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
>>> but if a local R profile,
>>>     file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
>>> exists it will be used and the one in HOME will not be.  (getwd() should
>>> be the startup directory.)
>>>

>>> Bill Dunlap
>>> TIBCO Software
>>> wdunlap tibco.com

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Jeff Newmiller
You type each expression interactively at the R console and look at the path it prints. Then you know where to look, or if no file exists there then you know where to put the file you want to be there.

On April 15, 2017 12:14:32 PM PDT, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Bill:
>Thanks for reply.
>Sorry, I do not understand it.
>For example, where do I put "file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile")" ?
>
>Bruce
>

>William Dunlap wrote:
>> I think the site-specific R profile should be, using R syntax
>>     file.path(R.home("etc"), "Rprofile.site") # no dot before the
>capital R
>> The personal R profile will be
>>     file.path(Sys.getenv("HOME"), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot
>before capital R
>> but if a local R profile,
>>     file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
>> exists it will be used and the one in HOME will not be.  (getwd()
>should
>> be the startup directory.)
>>

>> Bill Dunlap
>> TIBCO Software
>> wdunlap tibco.com
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 9:06 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi R-helpers:
>>> Can you offer assistance in my getting .Rprofile and .Rprofile.site
>to run
>>> in RStudio?
>>> When I start RStudio nothing happens.
>>> I have put .Rprofile in [1] and [2], and .Rprofile.site in [2].
>>>
>>> Below, the info I believe you need to know.
>>> Thanks, in advance, for any help.
>>> Bruce
>>>
>>> The .Rprofile and .Rprofile.site are R-type files, which contain the
>two
>>> lines below.
>>> Also, I tried the profile files as text files.
>>> options(prompt="R> ")
>>> set.seed(12345)

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

David Winsemius

> On Apr 15, 2017, at 12:46 PM, Boris Steipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As with R, do with RStudio: Read The Beautiful Manual, and peruse The Google. For example, searching Google with the two (admittedly hard to guess) cryptograms:
>  "RStudio Rprofile"
>
> will present more than a dozen most enlightening links to fulfil your desire.
>
> Perhaps the following link works better for you though:
>  https://www.bing.com/search?q=rstudio+rprofile

Another promising search strategy would be SO with "[rstudio]" in the tags:

http://stackoverflow.com/search?q=%5Brstudio%5D+rprofile+windows

--
david.

> B.
>

>> On Apr 15, 2017, at 3:14 PM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Bill:
>> Thanks for reply.
>> Sorry, I do not understand it.
>> For example, where do I put "file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile")" ?
>>
>> Bruce
>>

>> William Dunlap wrote:
>>> I think the site-specific R profile should be, using R syntax
>>>   file.path(R.home("etc"), "Rprofile.site") # no dot before the capital R
>>> The personal R profile will be
>>>   file.path(Sys.getenv("HOME"), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
>>> but if a local R profile,
>>>   file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile") # there is a dot before capital R
>>> exists it will be used and the one in HOME will not be.  (getwd() should
>>> be the startup directory.)
>>>

>>> Bill Dunlap
>>> TIBCO Software
>>> wdunlap tibco.com

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Henrik Bengtsson-5
Hi.

First, there should be no difference in where and how R and RStudio
locate the R startup file.

Second, if there is an .Rprofile in the working directory (i.e.
./.Rprofile), then that file with have higher priority than the file
located in ~/.Rprofile.  You can use the following R calls, also on
Windows, to check if you have either of these two files:

> file <- normalizePath("./.Rprofile")
> file
> file.exist(file)

> file <- normalizePath("~/.Rprofile")
> file
> file.exist(file)

In my case, my working directory is C:/Users/hb/Documents/Projects/, I
have a ~/.Rprofile file, but not a .Rprofile in the working directory.
So, I get:

> file <- normalizePath("./.Rprofile")
> file
[1] "C:\\Users\\hb\\Documents\\Projects\\.Rprofile"
> file.exists(file)
[1] FALSE

> file <- normalizePath("~/.Rprofile")
> file
[1] "C:\\Users\\hb\\Documents\\.Rprofile"
> file.exists(file)
[1] TRUE

This tells me that my startup file that R tries to load / source
during startup is "C:\\Users\\hb\\Documents\\.Rprofile" and that's the
one I should edit.

BTW, the value of normalizePath("~/.Rprofile") and
file.path(Sys.getenv("HOME"), ".Rprofile") should point to the same
file, expect that normalizePath() makes all backward slashed on
Windows; the former is just a neater version to use:

> normalizePath("~/.Rprofile")
[1] "C:\\Users\\hb\\Documents\\.Rprofile"

> file.path(Sys.getenv("HOME"), ".Rprofile")
[1] "C:/Users/hb/Documents/.Rprofile"

> normalizePath(file.path(Sys.getenv("HOME"), ".Rprofile"))
[1] "C:\\Users\\hb\\Documents\\.Rprofile"

(all of the above reference the same file).

So, if file.exists(normalizePath("~/.Rprofile")) gives FALSE, then you
don't have that file.  If you think you've edited that, then it might
be that you hit the peculiar Windows property where it hides the
filename extension from you in the Explorer.  It might be that you
instead have created / edited the file:

normalizePath("~/.Rprofile.txt")

That often happens when one uses Notepad and saves the file as
.Rprofile - Notepad simply add a *.txt filename extension unless you
save it with quotation marks in the Save-As panel.

Now, if you indeed have the file:

normalizePath("~/.Rprofile")

then there is one last annoyance in R that you might have hit.   If you're last
line in that file does not have a newline, the the file will be
silently ignored by R when R start.  There won't be a warning - not
even a message.  That is true for all OSes.  It's a "feature" that
should really be fixed, because I keep seeing it tricking beginners
and advanced R users all the times.  The easiest way to check if this
is your problem, use readLines() to read in the content; readLines()
will give a warning if the last line doesn't have a new line, e.g.

> readLines(normalizePath("~/.Rprofile"))
[1] "options(prompt=\"R> \")" "set.seed(12345)"
Warning message:
In readLines(normalizePath("~/.Rprofile")) :
  incomplete final line found on 'C:\Users\hb\Documents\.Rprofile'

If you don't see the warning message, you should be fine.

Finally, an easy way to setup a ~/.Rprofile startup file is to do it
from within R, e.g.

> cat('options(prompt="R> ")\n', file = "~/.Rprofile")
> cat('set.seed(12345)\n', file = "~/.Rprofile", append = TRUE)

The '\n' at the end of each string represents a newline character, so
make sure you don't forget those.

Hope this help

Henrik

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 1:10 PM, David Winsemius <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Apr 15, 2017, at 12:46 PM, Boris Steipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> As with R, do with RStudio: Read The Beautiful Manual, and peruse The Google. For example, searching Google with the two (admittedly hard to guess) cryptograms:
>>  "RStudio Rprofile"
>>
>> will present more than a dozen most enlightening links to fulfil your desire.
>>
>> Perhaps the following link works better for you though:
>>  https://www.bing.com/search?q=rstudio+rprofile
>
> Another promising search strategy would be SO with "[rstudio]" in the tags:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/search?q=%5Brstudio%5D+rprofile+windows
>
> --
> david.
>>
>> B.
>>

>>> On Apr 15, 2017, at 3:14 PM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bill:
>>> Thanks for reply.
>>> Sorry, I do not understand it.
>>> For example, where do I put "file.path(getwd(), ".Rprofile")" ?
>>>
>>> Bruce

> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

John C Frain
If you have your Rprofile.site file in the default place you will need to
start whatever editor you are using in administrator mode to save your
changes. At least that is so on my PC with windows 10 with R installed in
the default directory. I use notepad++ in administrator mode. I presume
that you could do the same with rstudio.

If you think that answers are short or to the point remember that someone
is giving of his time to help you. I think that you owe someone an apology.

John C Frain
3 Aranleigh Park
Rathfarnham
Dublin 14
Ireland
www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.html
mailto:[hidden email]
mailto:[hidden email]

On 15 April 2017 at 23:19, Henrik Bengtsson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> desire.
> >>
> >> Perhaps the following link works better for you though:
> >>  https://www.bing.com/search?q=rstudio+rprofile
> >
> > Another promising search strategy would be SO with "[rstudio]" in the
> tags:
> >
> > http://stackoverflow.com/search?q=%5Brstudio%5D+rprofile+windows
> >
> > --
> > david.
> >>
> >> B.

> capital R
> capital R
> should

> to run

> two

> posting-guide.html

> posting-guide.html
> >
> > David Winsemius
> > Alameda, CA, USA

> posting-guide.html

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Rolf Turner
On 16/04/17 07:57, BR_email wrote:
> Boris:
> As before, you assume that I, Bruce Ratner, just asks questions without
> first trying it myself.
> FYI: I purchased and read four RStudio books, as well as all the links I
> found in the web.
> I will not take your maligning me.
> Please try to assist me, but do not bully me.
> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.

Bruce, you are being preciously hypersensitive.  Boris's comment was
completely appropriate and betrayed not the slightest trace of
"bullying".  If you had indeed done your homework in the manner that
Boris recommended you would had no need to clutter this mailing list
with your (off-topic) question.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Technical Editor ANZJS
Department of Statistics

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
John:
Thanks for your help.

Regarding an apology to Boris. No. He is a condescending person.
On the three requests for help, which I made since starting with R, he
tells me to read the manuals, blogs, etc.,
while persons like you offer help. That is not strange?
My three questions Boris replies with nothing, yet others feel my
request is genuine and offer assistance.

I spend hours and hours reading the manuals, blogs, and purchasing and
reading multiple books on R and RStudio.
After that, when I am stuck, I go to the r-help.

John C Frain wrote:

> [...]
>     -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
>     >> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>     >> PLEASE do read the posting guide
>     http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
>     <http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html>
>     >> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
>     >
>     > David Winsemius
>     > Alameda, CA, USA
>     >
>     > ______________________________________________
>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing list
>     -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
>     > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>     > PLEASE do read the posting guide
>     http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
>     <http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html>
>     > and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Well, to be fair, .Rprofile is an R configuration file, so it was merely the subject line that was off-topic.

On April 15, 2017 4:24:06 PM PDT, Rolf Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 16/04/17 07:57, BR_email wrote:
>> Boris:
>> As before, you assume that I, Bruce Ratner, just asks questions
>without
>> first trying it myself.
>> FYI: I purchased and read four RStudio books, as well as all the
>links I
>> found in the web.
>> I will not take your maligning me.
>> Please try to assist me, but do not bully me.
>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>
>Bruce, you are being preciously hypersensitive.  Boris's comment was
>completely appropriate and betrayed not the slightest trace of
>"bullying".  If you had indeed done your homework in the manner that
>Boris recommended you would had no need to clutter this mailing list
>with your (off-topic) question.
>
>cheers,
>
>Rolf Turner

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

John C Frain
Bruce

The official documentation for these startup files can be obtained with the
command

Help(Startup)

at the R prompt or through search help in R studio.  I have used R in
various versions of Windows and Linux using the console version of R and
various IDEs including Rstudio and these have always worked as expected.
Rstudio has no specific effect on the location or use of these files. Now,
I only have access to PCs with windows 10 and can not check if there is any
specific problem with windows 7.  I did use the startup files in earlier
versions of windows and have no recollection of any problems. There are
some peculiarities with Windows that you might check.

Henrik has outlined some of the problems that may arise with file name
extensions. Windows does not display extensions for file names with known
extensions. Many windows programs add their file extension to files when
they save them. I used to recommend to students that they configure windows
explorer to display file extensions. This is relatively easy to do in
Windows explorer in any version of windows. needless to say many students
ignored this advice and later ran into problems.

Windows may have problems saving files that start with a period. I use
notepad++ as a general test editor. On my system notepad++ can save files
whose names start with a period. The editor in Rstudio can also do so on my
system. I do remember having problems with an earlier version of Windows.

On windows 10  one must right click on the notepad++ or other editor icon
and select run as administrator to edit a file in the Program Files
directory.  I don't remember to what extent this applies to Windows 7.

I have worked over the years with many people who were not native English
speakers even though they spoke very good English. The tone of their
interventions could sometimes cause problems. I think that the links that
you were given would have gone some way to solving your problem. I don't
think that the language used was intended to bully or cause offence. I
still think that an apology is in order. If someone volunteers an answer
look at its content rather than its brevity, tone or use of language. This
list depends on volunteers and they should be thanked rather than maligned.

On 16 April 2017 at 00:57, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, to be fair, .Rprofile is an R configuration file, so it was merely
> the subject line that was off-topic.
>
> On April 15, 2017 4:24:06 PM PDT, Rolf Turner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >On 16/04/17 07:57, BR_email wrote:
> >> Boris:
> >> As before, you assume that I, Bruce Ratner, just asks questions
> >without
> >> first trying it myself.
> >> FYI: I purchased and read four RStudio books, as well as all the
> >links I
> >> found in the web.
> >> I will not take your maligning me.
> >> Please try to assist me, but do not bully me.
> >> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
> >
> >Bruce, you are being preciously hypersensitive.  Boris's comment was
> >completely appropriate and betrayed not the slightest trace of
> >"bullying".  If you had indeed done your homework in the manner that
> >Boris recommended you would had no need to clutter this mailing list
> >with your (off-topic) question.
> >
> >cheers,
> >
> >Rolf Turner

> posting-guide.html

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Dear John:
Thank you so much for your continued support. You are exceptional.
I have followed everything you stated with no success.
Prior to asking a question, I promise you my style is "to solve it myself."
I read everything on the web, and purchased and read $200 in books.

I hate to repeat, but on the only three questions I ever submitted to R-help , since I started with R, I received several technical suggestions of what to do.
Yet, Boris replied all three times with "read the manuals, go to websites, and stop spamming."
I'm sorry, but Boris' implies that I haven't done the basics and I want someone to just give me the answer to my question.

Those who reply with positive suggestions vs. Boris who tells me that he's not going to do my due diligence - indicates Boris' condescending attitude. I don't know why he responds to my last two questions, given I politely informed him that I have done the basic reading, etc?

Regardless, you are professional, helpful, and very proper.
Unfortunately, I don't think I will use R-help, in fear of Boris.

Bruce
______________
Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net

On 17/04/17 08:46, John C Frain wrote:

> Bruce
>
> The official documentation for these startup files can be obtained with
> the command
>
> Help(Startup)

Minor point of order, Mr. Chairman.  That should be:

     help(Startup)

There is (as far as I know) no such function as "Help()".  It is
important to remember that R is case sensitive.

Another point that is worthy of thought is "How in God's name would any
beginner know or find out about the usage help(Startup)?"  Unless they
were explicitly told about it, in the manner which you just
demonstrated.  The usage gets a mention in "An Introduction to R" ---
but I had to search for it.

To me the word "startup" is not terribly intuitive.  I would tend to
search for "starting" rather than "startup", I think, but I'm not sure
what the average beginner would search for.  A search of "An
Introduction to R" for "starting" gets seven or eight hits, one of which
is relevant.  So it all takes patience and persistence.

Also note that "An Introduction to R" mostly uses the word "startup"
(lower case "s") and only uses "Startup" twice.  Note also that

     help(startup)

fails.  You have to get that initial "S" right.

This isn't a criticism of the documentation.  I'm just pointing out that
there are problems, mostly insoluble.  Until some clever Johnny gets on
with developing that mind_read() function referred to in fortune(182).

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Technical Editor ANZJS
Department of Statistics

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Peter Dalgaard-2
Um, tried help(.Rprofile) lately?

-pd

> On 17 Apr 2017, at 00:08 , Rolf Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 17/04/17 08:46, John C Frain wrote:
>
>> Bruce
>>
>> The official documentation for these startup files can be obtained with
>> the command
>>
>> Help(Startup)
>

> Minor point of order, Mr. Chairman.  That should be:
>
>    help(Startup)
>
> There is (as far as I know) no such function as "Help()".  It is important to remember that R is case sensitive.
>
> Another point that is worthy of thought is "How in God's name would any beginner know or find out about the usage help(Startup)?"  Unless they were explicitly told about it, in the manner which you just demonstrated.  The usage gets a mention in "An Introduction to R" --- but I had to search for it.
>
> To me the word "startup" is not terribly intuitive.  I would tend to search for "starting" rather than "startup", I think, but I'm not sure what the average beginner would search for.  A search of "An Introduction to R" for "starting" gets seven or eight hits, one of which is relevant.  So it all takes patience and persistence.
>
> Also note that "An Introduction to R" mostly uses the word "startup" (lower case "s") and only uses "Startup" twice.  Note also that
>
>    help(startup)
>
> fails.  You have to get that initial "S" right.
>
> This isn't a criticism of the documentation.  I'm just pointing out that there are problems, mostly insoluble.  Until some clever Johnny gets on with developing that mind_read() function referred to in fortune(182).
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner
>
> --
> Technical Editor ANZJS
> Department of Statistics
> University of Auckland
> Phone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Peter:
Thanks for reply and suggestion.
Sorry, I am not sure how to assess.
The doc is too technical for me to understand.
I found multiple instructions online and in R and RStudio books.
I'm doing what it says, but no success.
The instructions are simple as a-b-c, but some setting within the
Windows system must be the culprit.

Regards,

peter dalgaard wrote:

> Um, tried help(.Rprofile) lately?
>
> -pd
>
>> On 17 Apr 2017, at 00:08 , Rolf Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 17/04/17 08:46, John C Frain wrote:
>>
>>> Bruce
>>>
>>> The official documentation for these startup files can be obtained with
>>> the command
>>>
>>> Help(Startup)
>>
>> Minor point of order, Mr. Chairman.  That should be:
>>
>>     help(Startup)
>>
>> There is (as far as I know) no such function as "Help()".  It is important to remember that R is case sensitive.
>>
>> Another point that is worthy of thought is "How in God's name would any beginner know or find out about the usage help(Startup)?"  Unless they were explicitly told about it, in the manner which you just demonstrated.  The usage gets a mention in "An Introduction to R" --- but I had to search for it.
>>
>> To me the word "startup" is not terribly intuitive.  I would tend to search for "starting" rather than "startup", I think, but I'm not sure what the average beginner would search for.  A search of "An Introduction to R" for "starting" gets seven or eight hits, one of which is relevant.  So it all takes patience and persistence.
>>
>> Also note that "An Introduction to R" mostly uses the word "startup" (lower case "s") and only uses "Startup" twice.  Note also that
>>
>>     help(startup)
>>
>> fails.  You have to get that initial "S" right.
>>
>> This isn't a criticism of the documentation.  I'm just pointing out that there are problems, mostly insoluble.  Until some clever Johnny gets on with developing that mind_read() function referred to in fortune(182).
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Rolf Turner
>>
>> --
>> Technical Editor ANZJS
>> Department of Statistics
>> University of Auckland
>> Phone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Peter Dalgaard-2
That was aimed at Rolf...

For the actual question, I think the best approach would be to follow up on Bill Dunlap's suggestion. The mails from Jeff and Henrik pretty much tell you step by step what to try to find out which files on yours system are being checked in order to find startup code.

-pd

> On 17 Apr 2017, at 00:43 , BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Peter:
> Thanks for reply and suggestion.
> Sorry, I am not sure how to assess.
> The doc is too technical for me to understand.
> I found multiple instructions online and in R and RStudio books.
> I'm doing what it says, but no success.
> The instructions are simple as a-b-c, but some setting within the Windows system must be the culprit.
>
> Regards,
> Bruce
>
> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
> The Significant Statistician™
> (516) 791-3544
> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>
> peter dalgaard wrote:
>> Um, tried help(.Rprofile) lately?
>>
>> -pd

>>> Minor point of order, Mr. Chairman.  That should be:
>>>
>>>    help(Startup)
>>>
>>> There is (as far as I know) no such function as "Help()".  It is important to remember that R is case sensitive.
>>>
>>> Another point that is worthy of thought is "How in God's name would any beginner know or find out about the usage help(Startup)?"  Unless they were explicitly told about it, in the manner which you just demonstrated.  The usage gets a mention in "An Introduction to R" --- but I had to search for it.
>>>
>>> To me the word "startup" is not terribly intuitive.  I would tend to search for "starting" rather than "startup", I think, but I'm not sure what the average beginner would search for.  A search of "An Introduction to R" for "starting" gets seven or eight hits, one of which is relevant.  So it all takes patience and persistence.
>>>
>>> Also note that "An Introduction to R" mostly uses the word "startup" (lower case "s") and only uses "Startup" twice.  Note also that
>>>
>>>    help(startup)
>>>
>>> fails.  You have to get that initial "S" right.
>>>
>>> This isn't a criticism of the documentation.  I'm just pointing out that there are problems, mostly insoluble.  Until some clever Johnny gets on with developing that mind_read() function referred to in fortune(182).
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>>
>>> Rolf Turner
>>>
>>> --
>>> Technical Editor ANZJS