Quantcast

Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

123
Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

David Winsemius

> On Apr 16, 2017, at 3:43 PM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Peter:
> Thanks for reply and suggestion.
> Sorry, I am not sure how to assess.
> The doc is too technical for me to understand.
> I found multiple instructions online and in R and RStudio books.
> I'm doing what it says, but no success.

What is "it" and what is "lack of success"?

> The instructions are simple as a-b-c, but some setting within the Windows system must be the culprit.

Although the RStudio page immediately below was done with a Mac, I suspect there are similar selection panels and dialogs on the Windows version of RStudio.

https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200549016#general

When I look at the Windows installation advice I see near the top: "When installing on a 64-bit version of Windows the options will include 32- or 64-bit versions of R (and the default is to install both)." So is it possible that RStudio is looking at a different version of R than you believe it should be, perhaps at the 32 bit R versus the 64 bit one? The result at the beginning of this thread makes me think you got the 32-bit one connected to RStudio.

And I say again: I believe problems in configuring RStudio are off-topic for Rhelp and you should have been searching or posting question either to the RStudio support or StackOverflow. Looking at the responses to the queries above and the ones found below, it appears to me that there are RStudio-specific issues that go beyond what is in the `help(Startup)` or equivalent `help(.Rprofile)` page.  I gave an instance of an SO search upthread and I offer another SO search:

http://stackoverflow.com/search?tab=votes&q=%5brstudio%5d%20environment%20variables%20windows

I thought that this one below had potentially useful information, but I am not a Windows user (and you have not shown an inclination in offering a complete description of your efforts at following that advice. At any rate it would have been more appropriate to respond to the SO answers that were ineffective or to post a question there with full description of your efforts and content of your .Rprofile file and your current environment variable settings.)

http://stackoverflow.com/search?tab=votes&q=%5brstudio%5d%20rprofile%20windows

--
David

> Regards,
> Bruce
>
> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
> The Significant Statistician™
> (516) 791-3544
> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>
> peter dalgaard wrote:
>> Um, tried help(.Rprofile) lately?
>>
>> -pd

>>> Minor point of order, Mr. Chairman.  That should be:
>>>
>>>    help(Startup)
>>>
>>> There is (as far as I know) no such function as "Help()".  It is important to remember that R is case sensitive.
>>>
>>> Another point that is worthy of thought is "How in God's name would any beginner know or find out about the usage help(Startup)?"  Unless they were explicitly told about it, in the manner which you just demonstrated.  The usage gets a mention in "An Introduction to R" --- but I had to search for it.
>>>
>>> To me the word "startup" is not terribly intuitive.  I would tend to search for "starting" rather than "startup", I think, but I'm not sure what the average beginner would search for.  A search of "An Introduction to R" for "starting" gets seven or eight hits, one of which is relevant.  So it all takes patience and persistence.
>>>
>>> Also note that "An Introduction to R" mostly uses the word "startup" (lower case "s") and only uses "Startup" twice.  Note also that
>>>
>>>    help(startup)
>>>
>>> fails.  You have to get that initial "S" right.
>>>
>>> This isn't a criticism of the documentation.  I'm just pointing out that there are problems, mostly insoluble.  Until some clever Johnny gets on with developing that mind_read() function referred to in fortune(182).
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>>
>>> Rolf Turner
>>>
>>> --
>>> Technical Editor ANZJS
>>> Department of Statistics
>>> University of Auckland
>>> Phone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
David:
When I launch Rstudio the effects of the Rprofile do not show, e.g., I want the prompt to be "R> " instead of the default "> ". The former doesn't show.
Bruce

______________
Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net

> [...]
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/search?tab=votes&q=%5brstudio%5d%20rprofile%20windows
>
> --
> David
>

>> Regards,
>> Bruce
>>
>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>> The Significant Statistician™
>> (516) 791-3544
>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>>
>> peter dalgaard wrote:
>>> Um, tried help(.Rprofile) lately?
>>>
>>> -pd

> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bert Gunter-2
I cannot add to the instructions that you have already been given
regarding .Rprofile.

But what code did you use in your .Rprofile to set the prompt? The
posting guide explicitly requests that you provide your code, although
maybe you already did earlier in this extensive thread.

?options

is how it can be set. Did you do this?

-- Bert

and sticking things into it."

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 3:06 AM, Bruce Ratner PhD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/search?tab=votes&q=%5brstudio%5d%20rprofile%20windows
>>
>> --
>> David
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Bruce
>>>
>>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>>> The Significant Statistician™
>>> (516) 791-3544
>>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net

>> David Winsemius
>> Alameda, CA, USA

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bert:
I used note pad under Administrator. The code:
options(prompt="R> ")
set.seed(12345)

Bruce

______________
Bruce Ratner PhD
The Significant Statistician™
(516) 791-3544
Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I cannot add to the instructions that you have already been given
> regarding .Rprofile.
>
> But what code did you use in your .Rprofile to set the prompt? The
> posting guide explicitly requests that you provide your code, although
> maybe you already did earlier in this extensive thread.
>
> ?options
>
> is how it can be set. Did you do this?
>
> -- Bert
>
> Bert Gunter

> and sticking things into it."
>

>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 3:06 AM, Bruce Ratner PhD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> David:
>> When I launch Rstudio the effects of the Rprofile do not show, e.g., I want the prompt to be "R> " instead of the default "> ". The former doesn't show.
>> Bruce
>>
>> ______________
>> Bruce Ratner PhD
>> The Significant Statistician™
>> (516) 791-3544
>> Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>> Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net
>>

>>> On Apr 16, 2017, at 7:34 PM, David Winsemius <[hidden email]> wrote:

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

R help mailing list-2
I believe someone already mentioned it, but notepad makes it hard to
save a file without the ".txt" extension to its name.  R does not do
anything with .Rprofile.txt, only .Rprofile, so you must figure out a
way to work around notepad's mangling of the file name.
Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Bruce Ratner PhD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bert:
> I used note pad under Administrator. The code:
> options(prompt="R> ")
> set.seed(12345)
>
> Bruce
>
> ______________
> Bruce Ratner PhD
> The Significant Statistician™
> (516) 791-3544
> Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
> Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net
>

>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I cannot add to the instructions that you have already been given
>> regarding .Rprofile.
>>
>> But what code did you use in your .Rprofile to set the prompt? The
>> posting guide explicitly requests that you provide your code, although
>> maybe you already did earlier in this extensive thread.
>>
>> ?options
>>
>> is how it can be set. Did you do this?
>>
>> -- Bert
>>
>> Bert Gunter
>>
>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>> and sticking things into it."
>>

>>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 3:06 AM, Bruce Ratner PhD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> David:
>>> When I launch Rstudio the effects of the Rprofile do not show, e.g., I want the prompt to be "R> " instead of the default "> ". The former doesn't show.
>>> Bruce
>>>
>>> ______________
>>> Bruce Ratner PhD
>>> The Significant Statistician™
>>> (516) 791-3544
>>> Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>>> Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Henrik Bengtsson-5
Did you try any of the troubleshooting I suggested? If you do that, I'm
99.99% certain it'll help you to resolve this.

Henrik

wrote:

>> On Apr 16, 2017, at 3:43 PM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Peter:
>> Thanks for reply and suggestion.
>> Sorry, I am not sure how to assess.
>> The doc is too technical for me to understand.
>> I found multiple instructions online and in R and RStudio books.
>> I'm doing what it says, but no success.
>
> What is "it" and what is "lack of success"?
>
>> The instructions are simple as a-b-c, but some setting within the
Windows system must be the culprit.

> Although the RStudio page immediately below was done with a Mac, I
suspect there are similar selection panels and dialogs on the Windows
version of RStudio.

> https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200549016#general
>
> When I look at the Windows installation advice I see near the top: "When
installing on a 64-bit version of Windows the options will include 32- or
64-bit versions of R (and the default is to install both)." So is it
possible that RStudio is looking at a different version of R than you
believe it should be, perhaps at the 32 bit R versus the 64 bit one? The
result at the beginning of this thread makes me think you got the 32-bit
one connected to RStudio.

> And I say again: I believe problems in configuring RStudio are off-topic
for Rhelp and you should have been searching or posting question either to
the RStudio support or StackOverflow. Looking at the responses to the
queries above and the ones found below, it appears to me that there are
RStudio-specific issues that go beyond what is in the `help(Startup)` or
equivalent `help(.Rprofile)` page.  I gave an instance of an SO search
upthread and I offer another SO search:

5d%20environment%20variables%20windows

> I thought that this one below had potentially useful information, but I
am not a Windows user (and you have not shown an inclination in offering a
complete description of your efforts at following that advice. At any rate
it would have been more appropriate to respond to the SO answers that were
ineffective or to post a question there with full description of your
efforts and content of your .Rprofile file and your current environment
variable settings.)

5d%20rprofile%20windows

> --
> David
>

>> Regards,
>> Bruce
>>
>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>> The Significant Statistician™
>> (516) 791-3544
>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>>
>> peter dalgaard wrote:
>>> Um, tried help(.Rprofile) lately?
>>>
>>> -pd

important to remember that R is case sensitive.

any beginner know or find out about the usage help(Startup)?"  Unless they
were explicitly told about it, in the manner which you just demonstrated.
The usage gets a mention in "An Introduction to R" --- but I had to search
for it.

search for "starting" rather than "startup", I think, but I'm not sure what
the average beginner would search for.  A search of "An Introduction to R"
for "starting" gets seven or eight hits, one of which is relevant.  So it
all takes patience and persistence.

(lower case "s") and only uses "Startup" twice.  Note also that

that there are problems, mostly insoluble.  Until some clever Johnny gets
on with developing that mind_read() function referred to in fortune(182).

posting-guide.html

> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Bill:
I did workaround. I created the Rprofile files with file type R, not txt.
Bruce

William Dunlap wrote:

> I believe someone already mentioned it, but notepad makes it hard to
> save a file without the ".txt" extension to its name.  R does not do
> anything with .Rprofile.txt, only .Rprofile, so you must figure out a
> way to work around notepad's mangling of the file name.
> Bill Dunlap
> TIBCO Software
> wdunlap tibco.com
>

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Bruce Ratner PhD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Bert:
>> I used note pad under Administrator. The code:
>> options(prompt="R> ")
>> set.seed(12345)
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> ______________
>> Bruce Ratner PhD
>> The Significant Statistician™
>> (516) 791-3544
>> Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>> Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net
>>

>>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I cannot add to the instructions that you have already been given
>>> regarding .Rprofile.
>>>
>>> But what code did you use in your .Rprofile to set the prompt? The
>>> posting guide explicitly requests that you provide your code, although
>>> maybe you already did earlier in this extensive thread.
>>>
>>> ?options
>>>
>>> is how it can be set. Did you do this?
>>>
>>> -- Bert
>>>
>>> Bert Gunter
>>>
>>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>>> and sticking things into it."
>>> -- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Jeff Newmiller
Doing anything as Administrator means you are probably already in file permissions hell. R works great if you avoid Administrator mode entirely... using it raises the complexity of every step you take drastically.

On April 17, 2017 7:41:18 AM PDT, Bruce Ratner PhD <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Bert:
>I used note pad under Administrator. The code:
>options(prompt="R> ")
>set.seed(12345)
>
>Bruce
>
>______________
>Bruce Ratner PhD
>The Significant Statistician™
>(516) 791-3544
>Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net
>

>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> I cannot add to the instructions that you have already been given
>> regarding .Rprofile.
>>
>> But what code did you use in your .Rprofile to set the prompt? The
>> posting guide explicitly requests that you provide your code,
>although
>> maybe you already did earlier in this extensive thread.
>>
>> ?options
>>
>> is how it can be set. Did you do this?
>>
>> -- Bert
>>
>> Bert Gunter
>>
>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming
>along
>> and sticking things into it."
>>

>>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 3:06 AM, Bruce Ratner PhD <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>> David:
>>> When I launch Rstudio the effects of the Rprofile do not show, e.g.,
>I want the prompt to be "R> " instead of the default "> ". The former
>doesn't show.
>>> Bruce
>>>
>>> ______________
>>> Bruce Ratner PhD
>>> The Significant Statistician™
>>> (516) 791-3544
>>> Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>>> Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net

><[hidden email]> wrote:

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Henrik:
The Rprofile file is there, I see it.

Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.

Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> [...]
>     <http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html>
>     >>>> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible
>     code.
>     >>
>     >> ______________________________________________
>     >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> mailing list
>     -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
>     >> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>     >> PLEASE do read the posting guide
>     http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
>     <http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html>
>     >> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
>     >
>     > David Winsemius
>     > Alameda, CA, USA
>     >
>     >

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Use the R command
  dir(c(".", Sys.getenv("HOME"), R.home("etc")), pattern="Rprofile")
to see if there are any file names with the unwanted ".txt" and use
file.rename() to fix them up.
Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:06 AM, William Dunlap <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe someone already mentioned it, but notepad makes it hard to
> save a file without the ".txt" extension to its name.  R does not do
> anything with .Rprofile.txt, only .Rprofile, so you must figure out a
> way to work around notepad's mangling of the file name.
> Bill Dunlap
> TIBCO Software
> wdunlap tibco.com
>

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Bruce Ratner PhD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Bert:
>> I used note pad under Administrator. The code:
>> options(prompt="R> ")
>> set.seed(12345)
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> ______________
>> Bruce Ratner PhD
>> The Significant Statistician™
>> (516) 791-3544
>> Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>> Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net
>>

>>> On Apr 17, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I cannot add to the instructions that you have already been given
>>> regarding .Rprofile.
>>>
>>> But what code did you use in your .Rprofile to set the prompt? The
>>> posting guide explicitly requests that you provide your code, although
>>> maybe you already did earlier in this extensive thread.
>>>
>>> ?options
>>>
>>> is how it can be set. Did you do this?
>>>
>>> -- Bert
>>>
>>> Bert Gunter
>>>
>>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>>> and sticking things into it."
>>> -- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

R help mailing list-2
Not file exention ".R" - no file exention at all.
Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:13 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bill:
> I did workaround. I created the Rprofile files with file type R, not txt.
> Bruce
>

> William Dunlap wrote:
>>
>> I believe someone already mentioned it, but notepad makes it hard to
>> save a file without the ".txt" extension to its name.  R does not do
>> anything with .Rprofile.txt, only .Rprofile, so you must figure out a
>> way to work around notepad's mangling of the file name.
>> Bill Dunlap
>> TIBCO Software
>> wdunlap tibco.com
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Bruce Ratner PhD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bert:
>>> I used note pad under Administrator. The code:
>>> options(prompt="R> ")
>>> set.seed(12345)
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>
>>> ______________
>>> Bruce Ratner PhD
>>> The Significant Statistician™
>>> (516) 791-3544
>>> Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>>> Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
I did it both ways, with and without: no success.

Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> Doing anything as Administrator means you are probably already in file permissions hell. R works great if you avoid Administrator mode entirely... using it raises the complexity of every step you take drastically.

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Bill:
Here's what I got:

dir(c(".", Sys.getenv("HOME"), R.home("etc")), pattern="Rprofile") [1] "Rprofile.site"

William Dunlap wrote:

> Use the R command
>    dir(c(".", Sys.getenv("HOME"), R.home("etc")), pattern="Rprofile")
> to see if there are any file names with the unwanted ".txt" and use
> file.rename() to fix them up.
> Bill Dunlap
> TIBCO Software
> wdunlap tibco.com
>

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:06 AM, William Dunlap <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I believe someone already mentioned it, but notepad makes it hard to
>> save a file without the ".txt" extension to its name.  R does not do
>> anything with .Rprofile.txt, only .Rprofile, so you must figure out a
>> way to work around notepad's mangling of the file name.
>> Bill Dunlap
>> TIBCO Software
>> wdunlap tibco.com
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Bruce Ratner PhD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Bert:
>>> I used note pad under Administrator. The code:
>>> options(prompt="R> ")
>>> set.seed(12345)
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>
>>> ______________
>>> Bruce Ratner PhD
>>> The Significant Statistician™
>>> (516) 791-3544
>>> Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>>> Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
I used not extension, but R extension shows up.

William Dunlap wrote:

> Not file exention ".R" - no file exention at all.
> Bill Dunlap
> TIBCO Software
> wdunlap tibco.com
>

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:13 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Bill:
>> I did workaround. I created the Rprofile files with file type R, not txt.
>> Bruce
>>

>> William Dunlap wrote:
>>> I believe someone already mentioned it, but notepad makes it hard to
>>> save a file without the ".txt" extension to its name.  R does not do
>>> anything with .Rprofile.txt, only .Rprofile, so you must figure out a
>>> way to work around notepad's mangling of the file name.
>>> Bill Dunlap
>>> TIBCO Software
>>> wdunlap tibco.com

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

R help mailing list-2
I should haved added full.names=TRUE to the dir() call.  I you add
that I'd expect that you would see ".../etc/Rprofile.site".  What do
you see when you do

     writeLines(readLines(".../etc/Rprofile.site")

and
     source(echo=TRUE, ".../etc/Rprofile.site")

(replace the ellipsis by whatever dir(full.names=TRUE,...) showed).
Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:24 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bill:
> Here's what I got:
>
> dir(c(".", Sys.getenv("HOME"), R.home("etc")), pattern="Rprofile") [1]
> "Rprofile.site"
>

> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
> The Significant Statistician™
> (516) 791-3544
> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>

> William Dunlap wrote:
>>
>> Use the R command
>>    dir(c(".", Sys.getenv("HOME"), R.home("etc")), pattern="Rprofile")
>> to see if there are any file names with the unwanted ".txt" and use
>> file.rename() to fix them up.
>> Bill Dunlap
>> TIBCO Software
>> wdunlap tibco.com
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:06 AM, William Dunlap <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe someone already mentioned it, but notepad makes it hard to
>>> save a file without the ".txt" extension to its name.  R does not do
>>> anything with .Rprofile.txt, only .Rprofile, so you must figure out a
>>> way to work around notepad's mangling of the file name.
>>> Bill Dunlap
>>> TIBCO Software
>>> wdunlap tibco.com

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

R help mailing list-2
Use another editor or go to file explorer, turn on the 'show file
extensions' option and rename the file so it does not have the .R
extension.
Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:26 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I used not extension, but R extension shows up.
>
> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
> The Significant Statistician™
> (516) 791-3544
> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>
> William Dunlap wrote:
>>
>> Not file exention ".R" - no file exention at all.
>> Bill Dunlap
>> TIBCO Software
>> wdunlap tibco.com
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:13 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bill:
>>> I did workaround. I created the Rprofile files with file type R, not txt.
>>> Bruce

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Bill:
I feel you are nailing it for me.
Can I please call you, but I am getting a little lost, and losing your
valuable help?

William Dunlap wrote:

> I should haved added full.names=TRUE to the dir() call.  I you add
> that I'd expect that you would see ".../etc/Rprofile.site".  What do
> you see when you do
>
>       writeLines(readLines(".../etc/Rprofile.site")
>
> and
>       source(echo=TRUE, ".../etc/Rprofile.site")
>
> (replace the ellipsis by whatever dir(full.names=TRUE,...) showed).
> Bill Dunlap
> TIBCO Software
> wdunlap tibco.com
>

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:24 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Bill:
>> Here's what I got:
>>
>> dir(c(".", Sys.getenv("HOME"), R.home("etc")), pattern="Rprofile") [1]
>> "Rprofile.site"
>>

>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>> The Significant Statistician™
>> (516) 791-3544
>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>>

>> William Dunlap wrote:
>>> Use the R command
>>>     dir(c(".", Sys.getenv("HOME"), R.home("etc")), pattern="Rprofile")
>>> to see if there are any file names with the unwanted ".txt" and use
>>> file.rename() to fix them up.
>>> Bill Dunlap
>>> TIBCO Software
>>> wdunlap tibco.com

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

R help mailing list-2
No calls please.  Just show the group what .../etc/Rprofile-site contained.
Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:36 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bill:
> I feel you are nailing it for me.
> Can I please call you, but I am getting a little lost, and losing your
> valuable help?
> Bruce
>

> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
> The Significant Statistician™
> (516) 791-3544
> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>
> William Dunlap wrote:
>>
>> I should haved added full.names=TRUE to the dir() call.  I you add
>> that I'd expect that you would see ".../etc/Rprofile.site".  What do
>> you see when you do
>>
>>       writeLines(readLines(".../etc/Rprofile.site")
>>
>> and
>>       source(echo=TRUE, ".../etc/Rprofile.site")
>>
>> (replace the ellipsis by whatever dir(full.names=TRUE,...) showed).
>> Bill Dunlap
>> TIBCO Software
>> wdunlap tibco.com
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:24 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bill:
>>> Here's what I got:
>>>
>>> dir(c(".", Sys.getenv("HOME"), R.home("etc")), pattern="Rprofile") [1]
>>> "Rprofile.site"
>>>

>>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>>> The Significant Statistician™
>>> (516) 791-3544
>>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Sorry for the phone suggestion.
Bill, I do not know what type of editor to use, can you suggest?
BR

William Dunlap wrote:

> No calls please.  Just show the group what .../etc/Rprofile-site contained.
> Bill Dunlap
> TIBCO Software
> wdunlap tibco.com
>

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:36 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Bill:
>> I feel you are nailing it for me.
>> Can I please call you, but I am getting a little lost, and losing your
>> valuable help?
>> Bruce
>>

>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>> The Significant Statistician™
>> (516) 791-3544
>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>>
>> William Dunlap wrote:
>>> I should haved added full.names=TRUE to the dir() call.  I you add
>>> that I'd expect that you would see ".../etc/Rprofile.site".  What do
>>> you see when you do
>>>
>>>        writeLines(readLines(".../etc/Rprofile.site")
>>>
>>> and
>>>        source(echo=TRUE, ".../etc/Rprofile.site")
>>>
>>> (replace the ellipsis by whatever dir(full.names=TRUE,...) showed).
>>> Bill Dunlap
>>> TIBCO Software
>>> wdunlap tibco.com

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Bill:
Success, almost there:

>writeLines(readLines("C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site")) options(prompt="R> ")
set.seed(12345)
rm(list=ls())

Yet, still not affecting the launch, as "R>" is not there.
Any suggestions, please. "So close, yet far away, ... " - Carly Simon