Quantcast

Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

123
Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Bill, part II:

>source(echo=TRUE, ""C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site")
Error: unexpected symbol in "source(echo=TRUE, ""C"

Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
The Significant Statistician™
(516) 791-3544
Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net

BR_email wrote:

> Bill:
> Success, almost there:
>
>> writeLines(readLines("C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site"))
>> options(prompt="R> ")
> set.seed(12345)
> rm(list=ls())
>

> Yet, still not affecting the launch, as "R>" is not there.
> Any suggestions, please. "So close, yet far away, ... " - Carly Simon
>

> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
> The Significant Statistician™
> (516) 791-3544
> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>

> William Dunlap wrote:
>> No calls please.  Just show the group what .../etc/Rprofile-site
>> contained.
>> Bill Dunlap
>> TIBCO Software
>> wdunlap tibco.com
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:36 AM, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Bill:
>>> I feel you are nailing it for me.
>>> Can I please call you, but I am getting a little lost, and losing your
>>> valuable help?
>>> Bruce
>>>

>>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>>> The Significant Statistician™
>>> (516) 791-3544
>>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Berend Hasselman

> On 17 Apr 2017, at 18:39, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bill, part II:
>
>> source(echo=TRUE, ""C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site")
> Error: unexpected symbol in "source(echo=TRUE, ""C"

You have a double quote sign ("") preceding C:/.
Make it a single double quote so that you get "C:/...."

Berend

> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
> The Significant Statistician™
> (516) 791-3544
> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>
> BR_email wrote:
>> Bill:
>> Success, almost there:
>>
>>> writeLines(readLines("C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site")) options(prompt="R> ")
>> set.seed(12345)
>> rm(list=ls())
>>

>> Yet, still not affecting the launch, as "R>" is not there.
>> Any suggestions, please. "So close, yet far away, ... " - Carly Simon
>>

>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>> The Significant Statistician™
>> (516) 791-3544
>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>>

>> William Dunlap wrote:
>>> No calls please.  Just show the group what .../etc/Rprofile-site contained.
>>> Bill Dunlap
>>> TIBCO Software
>>> wdunlap tibco.com

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Berend: Something looks good, but RStudio still Rprofile still doees not
affect the launch.

Berend Hasselman wrote:
> source(echo=TRUE, ""C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site")

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Jeff Newmiller
".Rprofile.site" is not looked for in "C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/". That file belongs in the R.home("etc") directory.  I suggest you stay away from the system wide configuration and focus on your personal configuration file ""C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile".

I also recommend putting the arguments in the order given in ?source unless you name every single argument.

On April 17, 2017 9:39:50 AM PDT, BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Bill, part II:
>
>>source(echo=TRUE, ""C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site")
>Error: unexpected symbol in "source(echo=TRUE, ""C"
>

>Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>The Significant Statistician™
>(516) 791-3544
>Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>

>BR_email wrote:
>> Bill:
>> Success, almost there:
>>

>writeLines(readLines("C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site"))
>>> options(prompt="R> ")
>> set.seed(12345)
>> rm(list=ls())
>>

>> Yet, still not affecting the launch, as "R>" is not there.
>> Any suggestions, please. "So close, yet far away, ... " - Carly Simon
>>

>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>> The Significant Statistician™
>> (516) 791-3544
>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>>

>> William Dunlap wrote:
>>> No calls please.  Just show the group what .../etc/Rprofile-site
>>> contained.
>>> Bill Dunlap
>>> TIBCO Software
>>> wdunlap tibco.com

>your

>do

>showed).

>pattern="Rprofile")

>use

><[hidden email]>
>not do

><[hidden email]>

>given

>prompt?

>coming

>code.

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Peter Dalgaard-2

> On 17 Apr 2017, at 19:01 , BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Berend: Something looks good, but RStudio still Rprofile still doees not affect the launch.
>
>> source(echo=TRUE, "C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site")
>> options(prompt="R> ")
>
>> set.seed(12345)
>
>> rm(list=ls())
>

> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
> The Significant Statistician™
> (516) 791-3544
> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>
> Berend Hasselman wrote:
>> source(echo=TRUE, ""C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site")

According to the gospel of St.Henrik, that filename is wrong, and possibly the directory too.

So try his suggestions. What is the output (show us!) of

normalizePath("./.Rprofile")
normalizePath("~/.Rprofile")

Assuming that the former is

"C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile"

you could try renaming the .Rprofile.site file to that. If need be, use file.rename, as in

file.rename(from="C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site", to="C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile")

(and restart, obviously).

[I wouldn't set the seed in a .Rprofile file, nor would I use rm() there, but that is a different kettle of fish.]

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
TO _ALL_:
THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.
After hours, and hours, and hours, and ... , and hours: Success.
To all who helped, thanks.
My quest was minor, but major for me, as I learn from the path of one,
whether big or small begets another.

I never look down at anyone, except to help him/her up.

With gratitude,

Peter Dalgaard wrote:

>> On 17 Apr 2017, at 19:01 , BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Berend: Something looks good, but RStudio still Rprofile still doees not affect the launch.
>>
>>> source(echo=TRUE, "C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site")
>>> options(prompt="R> ")
>>> set.seed(12345)
>>> rm(list=ls())
>> R>
>>

>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>> The Significant Statistician™
>> (516) 791-3544
>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>>
>> Berend Hasselman wrote:
>>> source(echo=TRUE, ""C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site")
> According to the gospel of St.Henrik, that filename is wrong, and possibly the directory too.
>
> So try his suggestions. What is the output (show us!) of
>
> normalizePath("./.Rprofile")
> normalizePath("~/.Rprofile")
>
> Assuming that the former is
>
> "C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile"
>
> you could try renaming the .Rprofile.site file to that. If need be, use file.rename, as in
>
> file.rename(from="C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site", to="C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile")
>
> (and restart, obviously).
>
> [I wouldn't set the seed in a .Rprofile file, nor would I use rm() there, but that is a different kettle of fish.]

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
To _ALL_ who helped me.
In the final analysis, I was doing everything correctly, as per the
manuals, the links, and the books I bought.
However, in all the material, it never read mention of creating of the
.Rprofile file
with a programmer/developer text editor, which allows for no extension,
no R, no txt.

You guys drilled down, and hit solid gold for me,
which lead to my understanding the issue, at least as I see it.

Pure GOLD Medal team work.
Again, I truly thank you.
Bruce

BR_email wrote:

> TO _ALL_:
> THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.
> After hours, and hours, and hours, and ... , and hours: Success.
> To all who helped, thanks.
> My quest was minor, but major for me, as I learn from the path of one,
> whether big or small begets another.
>
> I never look down at anyone, except to help him/her up.
>
> With gratitude,
> Bruce
>
> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
> The Significant Statistician™
> (516) 791-3544
> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>

> Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>>> On 17 Apr 2017, at 19:01 , BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Berend: Something looks good, but RStudio still Rprofile still doees
>>> not affect the launch.

>>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>>> The Significant Statistician™
>>> (516) 791-3544
>>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net

>> According to the gospel of St.Henrik, that filename is wrong, and
>> possibly the directory too.
>>
>> So try his suggestions. What is the output (show us!) of
>>
>> normalizePath("./.Rprofile")
>> normalizePath("~/.Rprofile")
>>
>> Assuming that the former is
>>
>> "C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile"
>>
>> you could try renaming the .Rprofile.site file to that. If need be,
>> use file.rename, as in
>>
>> file.rename(from="C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site",
>> to="C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile")
>>
>> (and restart, obviously).
>>
>> [I wouldn't set the seed in a .Rprofile file, nor would I use rm()
>> there, but that is a different kettle of fish.]

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Sparks, John James
Bruce,

Do you think that you could post the final solution to the problem?  That
way it would be stored with this thread and the next person who has the
same problem would be able to locate the FINAL solution.

--JJS

On Mon, April 17, 2017 12:47 pm, BR_email wrote:

> TO _ALL_:
> THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.
> After hours, and hours, and hours, and ... , and hours: Success.
> To all who helped, thanks.
> My quest was minor, but major for me, as I learn from the path of one,
> whether big or small begets another.
>
> I never look down at anyone, except to help him/her up.
>
> With gratitude,
> Bruce
>
> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
> The Significant Statistician™
> (516) 791-3544
> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net
>

> Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>>> On 17 Apr 2017, at 19:01 , BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Berend: Something looks good, but RStudio still Rprofile still doees
>>> not affect the launch.

>>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>>> The Significant Statistician™
>>> (516) 791-3544
>>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net

>> According to the gospel of St.Henrik, that filename is wrong, and
>> possibly the directory too.
>>
>> So try his suggestions. What is the output (show us!) of
>>
>> normalizePath("./.Rprofile")
>> normalizePath("~/.Rprofile")
>>
>> Assuming that the former is
>>
>> "C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile"
>>
>> you could try renaming the .Rprofile.site file to that. If need be, use
>> file.rename, as in
>>
>> file.rename(from="C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site",
>> to="C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile")
>>
>> (and restart, obviously).
>>
>> [I wouldn't set the seed in a .Rprofile file, nor would I use rm()
>> there, but that is a different kettle of fish.]

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Bruce Ratner PhD
Dear John:
My pleasure to respond to your request.
Problem: Cannot get the .Rprofile file to take affect in either R (or RStudio).
As to "what" can be in put into a  .Rprofile file is abound, many examples in the manuals, blogs, links, and books.

The "how to" write the file was the real issue, not clearly covered in any material I could find or purchase.

I read that any notepad-type app can be used to create the .Rprofile file:
1. with or without a txt/R extension, and/or
2. with or without Administrator permission.

Not being a professional programmer/developer, I did not know about text editors that can create files with no extension, which was the problem at hand.

After many back and forth drilling down by R-helpers with trouble shooting queries, it became clear that I was not using a developer's text editor.

Solution: I found an editor online, EditPad Pro 7 (for Windows), with which I created my .Rprofile file.

The result was complete success, and gratitude to all R-helpers who stuck by me,
understanding I am new to R, with non professional programming skills. As a statistician (or if you prefer data scientist) for twenty plus years, clearly I must know how to program, but not at the pro level or pro understanding.

John, I hope this write up is satisfactory, if not please let let me know, as I will rewrite until you are happy with it.

It is a nice surprise to hear your wanting to archive the problem-solution, which almost did me in, and which created ill feelings among several R-helpers towards me.

Regards,
Bruce

______________
Bruce Ratner PhD
The Significant Statistician™
(516) 791-3544
Statistical Predictive Analytics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
Machine-Learning Data Mining -- www.GenIQ.net

> On Apr 18, 2017, at 9:52 AM, Sparks, John James <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bruce,
>
> Do you think that you could post the final solution to the problem?  That
> way it would be stored with this thread and the next person who has the
> same problem would be able to locate the FINAL solution.
>
> --JJS
>

>> On Mon, April 17, 2017 12:47 pm, BR_email wrote:
>> TO _ALL_:
>> THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.
>> After hours, and hours, and hours, and ... , and hours: Success.
>> To all who helped, thanks.
>> My quest was minor, but major for me, as I learn from the path of one,
>> whether big or small begets another.
>>
>> I never look down at anyone, except to help him/her up.
>>
>> With gratitude,
>> Bruce
>>
>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>> The Significant Statistician™
>> (516) 791-3544
>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net

>>> According to the gospel of St.Henrik, that filename is wrong, and
>>> possibly the directory too.
>>>
>>> So try his suggestions. What is the output (show us!) of
>>>
>>> normalizePath("./.Rprofile")
>>> normalizePath("~/.Rprofile")
>>>
>>> Assuming that the former is
>>>
>>> "C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile"
>>>
>>> you could try renaming the .Rprofile.site file to that. If need be, use
>>> file.rename, as in
>>>
>>> file.rename(from="C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile.site",
>>> to="C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile")
>>>
>>> (and restart, obviously).
>>>
>>> [I wouldn't set the seed in a .Rprofile file, nor would I use rm()
>>> there, but that is a different kettle of fish.]

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

Henrik Bengtsson-5
I'd be really surprised if basically not all text editors could be
used here; it more that some have quirks making it less obvious.  For
instance, with plain old Notepad that comes with all Windows distros
you can put (double) quotes around the file name in the Save As...
dialog to prevent Notepad from adding it's own default *.txt extension
(when the extension is missing).  BTW, since you're using RStudio, you
can also use that to create your .Rprofile file; RStudio's Save As...
does not mess with the filename - it saves the file as you specify.

Bruce, what I think would have helped helping you here early on is if
you had given a bit more details on what you did / tried.  There was a
lot of "does not work" early on, which gives little clues.  It wasn't
clear where you saved the files.  Maybe you weren't sure yourself, but
even knowing so would have helped help you.  It was also not clear how
much experience you had with R, which caused confusion - knowing "new
to R, with non professional programming skills" would probably have
cut some corners.  As a helper, here and on other forums, it's often
hard to guess this and to provide a proper reply is then hard - like
trying to give a scientific presentation when you don't know who's in
the audience.  This happens all the time and most people quickly picks
up what the expectations are and then get a smoother ride going
forward.

/Henrik

PS. With the risk of adding confusion, unless you already do so, you
should focus on only using/editing your
C:/Users/BruceRatner/Documents/.Rprofile (also referred to as
~/.Rprofile) file.  That one does not require any Administrative
rights to edit and has the advantage of working also when you update R
later.   The C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-33~1.3/etc/.Rprofile.site file requires
Admin to edit and will have to be recreated/reedited whenever you
update R (e.g. R 3.4.0 will install in a different directory).  A
regular R user should never have to edit the latter.  It's mostly used
for system admins who wish to set common startup settings for multiple
users in a location file.  The *.site part of .Rprofile.site suggests
site-wide settings.  So, use ~/.Rprofile to control your R startup
settings.

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Bruce Ratner PhD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> same problem would be able to locate the FINAL solution.
>>
>> --JJS
>>

>>> On Mon, April 17, 2017 12:47 pm, BR_email wrote:
>>> TO _ALL_:
>>> THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.
>>> After hours, and hours, and hours, and ... , and hours: Success.
>>> To all who helped, thanks.
>>> My quest was minor, but major for me, as I learn from the path of one,
>>> whether big or small begets another.
>>>
>>> I never look down at anyone, except to help him/her up.
>>>
>>> With gratitude,
>>> Bruce
>>>
>>> Bruce Ratner, Ph.D.
>>> The Significant Statistician™
>>> (516) 791-3544
>>> Statistical Predictive Analtyics -- www.DMSTAT1.com
>>> Machine-Learning Data Mining and Modeling -- www.GenIQ.net

Threaded

Re: Setting .Rprofile for RStudio on a Windows 7 x64bit

JohnDee
On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 15:57:42 -0400
BR_email <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Henrik:
> Your points are well taken.
> My biggest mistake was that I thought my question was an easy one.
> But as you rightly stated, I did not explicitly provide my background.
> I assumed my question implied how much I did not know, beyond being
> new to R.
> It's like Einstein teaching arithmetic, he would know his audience
> and teach accordingly.
>
> It was tough on me (mentally draining) because I want to learn R
> and just couldn't break through until I believe either you or Peter
> picked up on my using notepad.
>
> Well, I am glad you guys really want to help and must as I needed it.
>
> Regards,
> Bruce

Henrik's point about editors is very important since it has implications
well beyond editing something like .Rprofile.  Depending on the scale
and kinds of data you work with, you may conclude that one of
the easiest means of getting data into R is through delimited, plain
text files.  I tend to prefer tab-delimited files because the data I use
often contains descriptive fields that are useful to have, but often
contain commas, ruling out standard csv files.  Many "text" editors in
both Windows and Linux routinely and quietly convert tabs to some
standard number of spaces.  You want an editor that will produce
precisely what you tell it to.  While you can pull delimited files into
Excel, a good text editor, not Notepad or Wordpad, such as Notepad++ in
Windows or Kwrite in Linux (both of which will save a tab as a tab
(though Kwrite needs to set to do so) and speed data formatting and
editing immensely.  Also, if you are using RStudio you should consider
using the "project" capability.  You will then never have to worry
about .Rproject again.

JWDougherty

123