Sharing an R installation via NFS on ubuntu cluster

Sharing an R installation via NFS on ubuntu cluster

Florian Oswald
hi all,

i want to share an R installation from a master node to several compute
nodes via NFS. all nodes run ubuntu 16.04. I tried building R from source
but hit a wall several times because of missing dependencies. So I am
looking for something that uses the usual apt-get install proceedure, but
would place the installation in the non-standard location. For context,
right now I would have to share all of

*root@master*:*~*  whereis R

R: /usr/bin/R /usr/lib/R /etc/R /usr/local/lib/R /usr/share/R
/usr/share/man/man1/R.1.gz

and I would like to install R into a new folder on the master node, say,
NFS_share, and share just that.

I found that `dpkg` has an option `--root=directory` to specify a non
standard install location for a debian package installation. but i'm not
even sure how this would work on ubuntu (can i install a debian packge on
ubuntu?!)

thanks for any help!
florian

Re: Sharing an R installation via NFS on ubuntu cluster

Ista Zahn
On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 6:14 AM, Florian Oswald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i want to share an R installation from a master node to several compute
> nodes via NFS. all nodes run ubuntu 16.04. I tried building R from source
> but hit a wall several times because of missing dependencies.

apt-get build-dep r-base

should take care of that.

--Ista

So I am

> looking for something that uses the usual apt-get install proceedure, but
> would place the installation in the non-standard location. For context,
> right now I would have to share all of
>
> *root@master*:*~*  whereis R
>
> R: /usr/bin/R /usr/lib/R /etc/R /usr/local/lib/R /usr/share/R
> /usr/share/man/man1/R.1.gz
>
> and I would like to install R into a new folder on the master node, say,
> NFS_share, and share just that.
>
> I found that `dpkg` has an option `--root=directory` to specify a non
> standard install location for a debian package installation. but i'm not
> even sure how this would work on ubuntu (can i install a debian packge on
> ubuntu?!)
>
> thanks for any help!
> florian

Re: Sharing an R installation via NFS on ubuntu cluster

Florian Oswald
I can install R with

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install r-base

this is not my problem, and indeed, not my question. my question was how
could I share the resulting R installation over NFS? Do I have to export
every location where apt-get installs a component or can I force apt-get to
place the installation in a certain location?

On Nov 9, 2017 5:07 AM, "Florian Oswald" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I can install R with

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install r-base

this is not my problem, and indeed, not my question.

my question was how could I share the resulting R installation over NFS? Do
I have to export every location where apt-get installs a component or can I
force apt-get to place the installation in a certain location?

Sounds like a question for an ubuntu forum, or r-sig-debian perhaps.