Smallest Space Analysis (SSA) in R

Andy Wolfe
Hi

As part of my forensics psych course, we have been introduced to
Guttman's smallest space analysis (SSA). I want to explore this approach
using R, but despite finding some queries on the web about this same
thing, have yet to find any answers. The MASS package doesn't seem to do
the job, and the only thing I have been able to find is some proprietary
software HUDAP  (Hebrew University Data Analysis Package) which may/ not
be compatible with R (or GNU/Linux for that matter).

Does anyone have information on how to do SSA using R?

Many thanks

Andrew

Re: Smallest Space Analysis (SSA) in R

Eric Berger
Hi Andrew,
I don't have any experience in this area but I was intrigued by your
question. Here is what I learned.

1, A bit of poking around turned up a thread on stats.stackexchange that
mentions that "smallest space analysis" (SSA) is a special case of
"multidimensional scaling" (MDS).
See the thread here:
https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/82462/guttmans-smallest-space-analysis

2. The R package SMACOF implements some solutions for MDS. See the
documentation "Multidimensional Scaling in R: SMACOF" available at
https://mran.microsoft.com/snapshot/2018-05-13/web/packages/smacof/vignettes/smacof.pdf

HTH,
Eric

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 2:00 PM, Andrew <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> As part of my forensics psych course, we have been introduced to
> Guttman's smallest space analysis (SSA). I want to explore this approach
> using R, but despite finding some queries on the web about this same
> thing, have yet to find any answers. The MASS package doesn't seem to do
> the job, and the only thing I have been able to find is some proprietary
> software HUDAP  (Hebrew University Data Analysis Package) which may/ not
> be compatible with R (or GNU/Linux for that matter).
>
> Does anyone have information on how to do SSA using R?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Andrew

> posting-guide.html

Re: Smallest Space Analysis (SSA) in R

Andy Wolfe
Hi Eric

I will need to dig into this a bit deeper, but this looks like it might
hold some promise. The web link you shared seems familiar - perhaps I
came across it but not at the site you linked to. I will read the
sources with interest.

Thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Regards,
Andrew

On 20/09/18 21:28, Eric Berger wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
> I don't have any experience in this area but I was intrigued by your
> question. Here is what I learned.
>
> 1, A bit of poking around turned up a thread on stats.stackexchange
> that mentions that "smallest space analysis" (SSA) is a special case
> of "multidimensional scaling" (MDS).
> See the thread here:
> https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/82462/guttmans-smallest-space-analysis
>
> 2. The R package SMACOF implements some solutions for MDS. See the
> documentation "Multidimensional Scaling in R: SMACOF" available at
> https://mran.microsoft.com/snapshot/2018-05-13/web/packages/smacof/vignettes/smacof.pdf
>
> HTH,
> Eric
>

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 2:00 PM, Andrew <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     As part of my forensics psych course, we have been introduced to
>     Guttman's smallest space analysis (SSA). I want to explore this
>     approach
>     using R, but despite finding some queries on the web about this same
>     thing, have yet to find any answers. The MASS package doesn't seem
>     to do
>     the job, and the only thing I have been able to find is some
>     proprietary
>     software HUDAP  (Hebrew University Data Analysis Package) which
>     may/ not
>     be compatible with R (or GNU/Linux for that matter).
>
>     Does anyone have information on how to do SSA using R?
>
>     Many thanks
>
>     Andrew
>

>             [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Smallest Space Analysis (SSA) in R

Martin Maechler

    > Hi Andrew,
    > I don't have any experience in this area but I was intrigued by your
    > question. Here is what I learned.

    > 1, A bit of poking around turned up a thread on stats.stackexchange that
    > mentions that "smallest space analysis" (SSA) is a special case of
    > "multidimensional scaling" (MDS).
    > See the thread here:
    > https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/82462/guttmans-smallest-space-analysis

    > 2. The R package SMACOF implements some solutions for MDS. See the
    > documentation "Multidimensional Scaling in R: SMACOF" available at
    > https://mran.microsoft.com/snapshot/2018-05-13/web/packages/smacof/vignettes/smacof.pdf

Well, but MDS  is "old" and already available in standard R in
its classical form:

> apropos("MDS")
[1] "cmdscale"
> ?cmdscale  # "Classical Multidimensional Scaling"

then gives the help page for 'cmdscale' which in its 'See Also:'
mentions the

        isomds()
        sammon()

functions from package MASS which (as formally "Recommended"
pkg) is part of every full R installation.

So, at first, there's no need for any extra package...

    > HTH,
    > Eric

    > On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 2:00 PM, Andrew <[hidden email]> wrote:

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> As part of my forensics psych course, we have been introduced to
    >> Guttman's smallest space analysis (SSA). I want to explore this approach
    >> using R, but despite finding some queries on the web about this same
    >> thing, have yet to find any answers. The MASS package doesn't seem to do
    >> the job, and the only thing I have been able to find is some proprietary
    >> software HUDAP  (Hebrew University Data Analysis Package) which may/ not
    >> be compatible with R (or GNU/Linux for that matter).
    >>
    >> Does anyone have information on how to do SSA using R?
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> Andrew
    >>
    >>
    >> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

    >> posting-guide.html

Re: Smallest Space Analysis (SSA) in R

Andy Wolfe
Hi Martin

I was aware of the 'old' MDS package, thanks.

Hi Eric

I've now read the paper you referenced, thanks. Still didn't see
anything about SSA however, so will keep looking.

However, if anyone on this list comes across something specific to SSA,
could you kindly drop me a line to let me know?

Many thanks
Andrew

On 21/09/18 07:46, Martin Maechler wrote:

> [...]
>      >>
>      >> Many thanks
>      >>
>      >> Andrew
>      >>
>      >>
>      >> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>      >>
>      >> ______________________________________________
>      >> [hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
>      >> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>      >> posting-guide.html
>      >> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
>      >>
>
>      > [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>
>      > ______________________________________________
>      > [hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
>      > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>      > and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

Michael Friendly
Smallest space analysis (SSA) is just the name given to software
developed by Guttman & Lingoes around the time the various versions
of multidimensional scaling were being developed.  Call it Israeli MDS
or Falafel MDS if you prefer. The reason you encountered it in your
course is presumably that the instructor was trained in that.

There are several variants of MDS-like algorithms for embedding
points representing objects in a space, using data representing
similarities or distances among objects -- metric (cmdscale)
and non-metric (MASS::isoMDS), using only rank order information, and a
variety of
measures of goodness-of-fit ("stress").  I don't recall the details
of the SSA programs, but that should matter little conceptually.

The smacof package offers the widest array of possibilities.

-Michael

On 9/19/2018 7:00 AM, Andrew wrote:

> Hi
>
> As part of my forensics psych course, we have been introduced to
> Guttman's smallest space analysis (SSA). I want to explore this approach
> using R, but despite finding some queries on the web about this same
> thing, have yet to find any answers. The MASS package doesn't seem to do
> the job, and the only thing I have been able to find is some proprietary
> software HUDAP  (Hebrew University Data Analysis Package) which may/ not
> be compatible with R (or GNU/Linux for that matter).
>
> Does anyone have information on how to do SSA using R?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Andrew

Re: Smallest Space Analysis (SSA) in R

Andy Wolfe
Hi Michael

This looks like it could be really helpful in moving my project forwards
thank you.

I remember many years ago using (proprietary) software from the
University of Liverpool which did a nice job of allowing regions to be
defined, and then for the space to be rotated to obtain visual
inspection of relative distance from different angles. I appreciate that
smacof will not do that, but as long as the analysis allows for the
graph to be plotted and analysed, that's what's important.

Thank you again, and to all of those who responded.

Best wishes
Andrew

On 9/22/2018 6:49 AM, Andrew wrote:

> Hi Michael
>
> This looks like it could be really helpful in moving my project forwards
> thank you.
>
> I remember many years ago using (proprietary) software from the
> University of Liverpool which did a nice job of allowing regions to be
> defined, and then for the space to be rotated to obtain visual
> inspection of relative distance from different angles. I appreciate that
> smacof will not do that, but as long as the analysis allows for the
> graph to be plotted and analysed, that's what's important.

You need not rely on the plots provided directly by a given package.
Just roll your own using standard plotting libraries.
Here is just the first Google hit on "R MDS 3D plot"

http://omnilogia.blogspot.com/2014/05/basic-2d-3d-multi-dimensional-scaling.html

which shows a rotating 3D plot, colored by a grouping variable.  Here is
another:

http://whatzcookinlab.blogspot.com/2013/05/spinning-3d-mds-plot.html

The vegan and ade4 packages also have a variety of plots and related
methods.

-Michael

> Thank you again, and to all of those who responded.
>
> Best wishes
> Andrew
>

> On 21/09/18 14:07, Michael Friendly wrote:
>> Smallest space analysis (SSA) is just the name given to software
>> developed by Guttman & Lingoes around the time the various versions
>> of multidimensional scaling were being developed.  Call it Israeli MDS
>> or Falafel MDS if you prefer. The reason you encountered it in your
>> course is presumably that the instructor was trained in that.
>>
>> There are several variants of MDS-like algorithms for embedding
>> points representing objects in a space, using data representing
>> similarities or distances among objects -- metric (cmdscale)
>> and non-metric (MASS::isoMDS), using only rank order information, and
>> a variety of
>> measures of goodness-of-fit ("stress").  I don't recall the details
>> of the SSA programs, but that should matter little conceptually.
>>
>> The smacof package offers the widest array of possibilities.
>>
>> -Michael
>>

>> On 9/19/2018 7:00 AM, Andrew wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> As part of my forensics psych course, we have been introduced to
>>> Guttman's smallest space analysis (SSA). I want to explore this approach
>>> using R, but despite finding some queries on the web about this same
>>> thing, have yet to find any answers. The MASS package doesn't seem to do
>>> the job, and the only thing I have been able to find is some proprietary
>>> software HUDAP  (Hebrew University Data Analysis Package) which may/ not
>>> be compatible with R (or GNU/Linux for that matter).
>>>
>>> Does anyone have information on how to do SSA using R?
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>>

>>>     [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Smallest Space Analysis (SSA) in R

Andy Wolfe
Ha! Even better - thank you. Plenty here for me to play around with.

Many thanks
Andrew

On 23/09/18 15:22, Michael Friendly wrote:

> On 9/22/2018 6:49 AM, Andrew wrote:
>> Hi Michael
>>
>> This looks like it could be really helpful in moving my project
>> forwards thank you.
>>
>> I remember many years ago using (proprietary) software from the
>> University of Liverpool which did a nice job of allowing regions to
>> be defined, and then for the space to be rotated to obtain visual
>> inspection of relative distance from different angles. I appreciate
>> that smacof will not do that, but as long as the analysis allows for
>> the graph to be plotted and analysed, that's what's important.
>
> You need not rely on the plots provided directly by a given package.
> Just roll your own using standard plotting libraries.
> Here is just the first Google hit on "R MDS 3D plot"
>
> http://omnilogia.blogspot.com/2014/05/basic-2d-3d-multi-dimensional-scaling.html
>

> which shows a rotating 3D plot, colored by a grouping variable. Here
> is another:
>
> http://whatzcookinlab.blogspot.com/2013/05/spinning-3d-mds-plot.html
>
> The vegan and ade4 packages also have a variety of plots and related
> methods.
>

> -Michael
>

>> Thank you again, and to all of those who responded.
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Andrew
>>

>> On 21/09/18 14:07, Michael Friendly wrote:
>>> Smallest space analysis (SSA) is just the name given to software
>>> developed by Guttman & Lingoes around the time the various versions
>>> of multidimensional scaling were being developed.  Call it Israeli MDS
>>> or Falafel MDS if you prefer. The reason you encountered it in your
>>> course is presumably that the instructor was trained in that.
>>>
>>> There are several variants of MDS-like algorithms for embedding
>>> points representing objects in a space, using data representing
>>> similarities or distances among objects -- metric (cmdscale)
>>> and non-metric (MASS::isoMDS), using only rank order information,
>>> and a variety of
>>> measures of goodness-of-fit ("stress").  I don't recall the details
>>> of the SSA programs, but that should matter little conceptually.
>>>
>>> The smacof package offers the widest array of possibilities.
>>>
>>> -Michael

Re: Smallest Space Analysis (SSA) in R

Gasper Cankar