Some problems while reading Diethelm Würtz's Portfolio Optimization with R book

Some problems while reading Diethelm Würtz's Portfolio Optimization with R book

Rmetrics mailing list
Hello
I am reading Diethelm Würtz's Portfolio Optimization with R book. I encountered a problem at "17.2 How to Compute a Minimum Risk Efficient Portfolio" part. I entered the commands:

> minriskSpec <- portfolioSpec()> targetReturn <- getTargetReturn(ewPortfolio@portfolio)["mean"]> setTargetReturn(minriskSpec) <- targetReturn
> minriskPortfolio <- efficientPortfolio(data = lppData,spec = minriskSpec,constraints = "LongOnly")> print(minriskPortfolio)

But I got the following output:

Title: MV Efficient Portfolio  Estimator:         covEstimator  Solver:            solveRquadprog  Optimize:          minRisk  Constraints:       LongOnly
Portfolio Weights:SBI SPI SII LMI MPI ALT   0   0   0   0   0   0
Covariance Risk Budgets:SBI SPI SII LMI MPI ALT
Target Returns and Risks:mean  Cov CVaR  VaR    0    0    0    0

As you notice R does not compute Portfolio Weights, Target Returns and Risks... etc.
I also tried to run the code at "17.3 How to Compute the Global Minimum Variance Portfolio" which is:

> globminSpec <- portfolioSpec()> globminPortfolio <- minvariancePortfolio(data = lppData,spec = globminSpec,constraints = "LongOnly")> print(globminPortfolio)

But I got the following output:

Title:
 MV Minimum Variance Portfolio
 Estimator:         covEstimator
 Solver:            solveRquadprog
 Optimize:          minRisk
 Constraints:       LongOnly

Portfolio Weights:
SBI SPI SII LMI MPI ALT
  0   0   0   0   0   0

Covariance Risk Budgets:
SBI SPI SII LMI MPI ALT

Target Returns and Risks:
mean  Cov CVaR  VaR
   0    0    0    0

 Sun Aug 27 16:12:21 2017 by user: win7120

As you see R does not make computations again.

I also tried to run the code at "17.4 How to Compute the Tangency Portfolio" which is:

> tgSpec <- portfolioSpec()> setRiskFreeRate(tgSpec) <- 0

> tgPortfolio <- tangencyPortfolio(data = lppData,spec = tgSpec,constraints = "LongOnly")

This time I got the following error:

Error in if (STATUS != 0) { : argument is of length zero

What may be the problem? Could you help?
Thanks

Re: Some problems while reading Diethelm Würtz's Portfolio Optimization with R book

braverock
Regrettably, Diethelm died in a car accident last year.  He is missed by
many in this community who appreciated his advice, openness, and
fostering of the community.

fPortfolio has not been updated for some time.  I would suggest looking
at Berhard Pfaff's excellent risk and portfolio management book, as well
as at packages such as PortfolioAnalytics for actually doing portfolio
optimization in R.

I still refer to Diethelm's book for ideas and visualizations, but I do
not use that code.

Regards,

Brian

On 08/27/2017 08:35 AM, Baki UNAL via R-SIG-Finance wrote:

> Hello
> I am reading Diethelm Würtz's Portfolio Optimization with R book. I encountered a problem at "17.2 How to Compute a Minimum Risk Efficient Portfolio" part. I entered the commands:
>
>> minriskSpec <- portfolioSpec()> targetReturn <- getTargetReturn(ewPortfolio@portfolio)["mean"]> setTargetReturn(minriskSpec) <- targetReturn
>> minriskPortfolio <- efficientPortfolio(data = lppData,spec = minriskSpec,constraints = "LongOnly")> print(minriskPortfolio)
>

> But I got the following output:
>

> Title: MV Efficient Portfolio  Estimator:         covEstimator  Solver:            solveRquadprog  Optimize:          minRisk  Constraints:       LongOnly
> Portfolio Weights:SBI SPI SII LMI MPI ALT   0   0   0   0   0   0
> Covariance Risk Budgets:SBI SPI SII LMI MPI ALT
> Target Returns and Risks:mean  Cov CVaR  VaR    0    0    0    0
>
> As you notice R does not compute Portfolio Weights, Target Returns and Risks... etc.
> I also tried to run the code at "17.3 How to Compute the Global Minimum Variance Portfolio" which is:
>
>> globminSpec <- portfolioSpec()> globminPortfolio <- minvariancePortfolio(data = lppData,spec = globminSpec,constraints = "LongOnly")> print(globminPortfolio)
>
> But I got the following output:
>
> Title:
>   MV Minimum Variance Portfolio
>   Estimator:         covEstimator
>   Solver:            solveRquadprog
>   Optimize:          minRisk
>   Constraints:       LongOnly
>
> Portfolio Weights:
> SBI SPI SII LMI MPI ALT
>    0   0   0   0   0   0
>
> Covariance Risk Budgets:
> SBI SPI SII LMI MPI ALT
>

> Target Returns and Risks:
> mean  Cov CVaR  VaR
>     0    0    0    0

>   Sun Aug 27 16:12:21 2017 by user: win7120
>

> As you see R does not make computations again.
>
> I also tried to run the code at "17.4 How to Compute the Tangency Portfolio" which is:
>
>> tgSpec <- portfolioSpec()> setRiskFreeRate(tgSpec) <- 0
>
>> tgPortfolio <- tangencyPortfolio(data = lppData,spec = tgSpec,constraints = "LongOnly")
>
> This time I got the following error:
>

> Error in if (STATUS != 0) { : argument is of length zero
>
> What may be the problem? Could you help?
> Thanks

Brian G. Peterson
http://braverock.com/brian/
Ph: 773-459-4973
IM: bgpbraverock

Re: Some problems while reading Diethelm Würtz's Portfolio Optimization with R book

Oliver.J.Herrmann
Two or three follow up questions to your reply:

1.  package PortfolioAnalytics date is 2015, so does not seem to have been updated for a while too. But still the package to go for optimization?
2. I am currently looking for a good package for backtesting strategies. I am still working through the recommended packages from the list in view "empirical finance" (excellent overview btw). Which package(s) would you recommend for backtesting?

My (prelimenary) assessment of

1. package "backtest": not to be used because not many functions, only basics of backtesting are covered.

2. package: "STI" : not to be used because difficult to install, almost no documentation, last update in 2012

3. package: "TTR" : very useful!

4. package: "quantstrat" : very useful

Any experience and/or evaluation of the following packages (that I still have on my work through list) would be highly appreciated:

package: "portfolioSim"
package: "pbo"
package: "portfolio":
package: "factorAnalytics"

It seems to me that "quantstrat" is the package to go for. However, documentation is sparse and spread around various sites. Any suggestions for additional sources (outside Guy Yollin) are welcome too.

Cheers,
Oliver

Gesendet: Sonntag, 27. August 2017 um 15:41 Uhr
Von: "Brian G. Peterson" <[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [R-SIG-Finance] Some problems while reading Diethelm Würtz's Portfolio Optimization with R book
Regrettably, Diethelm died in a car accident last year. He is missed by
many in this community who appreciated his advice, openness, and
fostering of the community.

fPortfolio has not been updated for some time. I would suggest looking
at Berhard Pfaff's excellent risk and portfolio management book, as well
as at packages such as PortfolioAnalytics for actually doing portfolio
optimization in R.

I still refer to Diethelm's book for ideas and visualizations, but I do
not use that code.

Regards,

Brian

On 08/27/2017 08:35 AM, Baki UNAL via R-SIG-Finance wrote:
> Hello
> I am reading Diethelm Würtz's Portfolio Optimization with R book. I encountered a problem at "17.2 How to Compute a Minimum Risk Efficient Portfolio" part. I entered the commands:
>
>> minriskSpec <- portfolioSpec()> targetReturn <- getTargetReturn(ewPortfolio@portfolio)["mean"]> setTargetReturn(minriskSpec) <- targetReturn
>> minriskPortfolio <- efficientPortfolio(data = lppData,spec = minriskSpec,constraints = "LongOnly")> print(minriskPortfolio)
>

> But I got the following output:
>

> Title: MV Efficient Portfolio Estimator: covEstimator Solver: solveRquadprog Optimize: minRisk Constraints: LongOnly
> Portfolio Weights:SBI SPI SII LMI MPI ALT 0 0 0 0 0 0
> Covariance Risk Budgets:SBI SPI SII LMI MPI ALT
> Target Returns and Risks:mean Cov CVaR VaR 0 0 0 0
>
> As you notice R does not compute Portfolio Weights, Target Returns and Risks... etc.
> I also tried to run the code at "17.3 How to Compute the Global Minimum Variance Portfolio" which is:
>
>> globminSpec <- portfolioSpec()> globminPortfolio <- minvariancePortfolio(data = lppData,spec = globminSpec,constraints = "LongOnly")> print(globminPortfolio)
>
> But I got the following output:
>
> Title:
> MV Minimum Variance Portfolio
> Estimator: covEstimator
> Solver: solveRquadprog
> Optimize: minRisk
> Constraints: LongOnly
>
> Portfolio Weights:
> SBI SPI SII LMI MPI ALT
> 0 0 0 0 0 0
>
> Covariance Risk Budgets:
> SBI SPI SII LMI MPI ALT
>

> Target Returns and Risks:
> mean Cov CVaR VaR
> 0 0 0 0

> Sun Aug 27 16:12:21 2017 by user: win7120
>

> As you see R does not make computations again.
>
> I also tried to run the code at "17.4 How to Compute the Tangency Portfolio" which is:
>
>> tgSpec <- portfolioSpec()> setRiskFreeRate(tgSpec) <- 0
>
>> tgPortfolio <- tangencyPortfolio(data = lppData,spec = tgSpec,constraints = "LongOnly")
>
> This time I got the following error:
>

> Error in if (STATUS != 0) { : argument is of length zero
>
> What may be the problem? Could you help?
> Thanks

Brian G. Peterson
http://braverock.com/brian/
Ph: 773-459-4973
IM: bgpbraverock

Re: Some problems while reading Diethelm Würtz's Portfolio Optimization with R book

Ross Bennett
Although the last release to CRAN was in 2015 for PortfolioAnalytics, it is
still in active use and we are committed to maintaining it. In my opinion,
PortfolioAnalytics is the goto package for portfolio optimization... I am a
coauthor of the package so my opinion is biased.

For a backtesting package, I highly recommend quantstrat. It was built by
and is used by professional traders. The demos are a good place to start
for learning how to use the package.

Regards,

Ross

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 5:27 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I also tried to run the code at "17.4 How to Compute the Tangency
> Portfolio" which is:
> >
> >> tgSpec <- portfolioSpec()> setRiskFreeRate(tgSpec) <- 0
> >
> >> tgPortfolio <- tangencyPortfolio(data = lppData,spec =
> tgSpec,constraints = "LongOnly")
> >
> > This time I got the following error:
> >

> > Error in if (STATUS != 0) { : argument is of length zero
> >
> > What may be the problem? Could you help?
> > Thanks

> > -- Also note that this is not the r-help list where general R questions
> should go.
> >

> --
> Brian G. Peterson
> http://braverock.com/brian/
> Ph: 773-459-4973 <(773)%20459-4973>
> IM: bgpbraverock

> should go.

Re: Some problems while reading Diethelm Würtz's Portfolio Optimization with R book

Good morning all,

I agree with the prior message on all counts but I am also a big fan of SIT package.
Here are the steps to install SIT, with the repo sit file (248 KB) attached below.

# https://github.com/systematicinvestor/SIT
install.packages('C:/Dropbox/QUANTstudio/R/sit', repos = NULL, type='source')
?`SIT-package`

Regards,
Darius