Struggling to compute marginal effects !

Struggling to compute marginal effects !

Willy Byamungu
Dear Oscar,
and any other R-project person,

Can you please help me to figure out the meaning of the following error
message in red ?

Error in eval(predvars, data, env) :
  numeric 'envir' arg not of length one

I computed ordered logit models using 'polr' in R (I just followed the
guidance a handout I found on princeton.edu about logit, probit and
multinomial logit models) . The summary results are obtained without any
problem. *However*, when I'm using the package 'erer' to compute the
marginal effects for the ordered logit models, I'm just getting the error
message above.

Please HELP !!!!

Willy

--
Willy Mulimbi B.
AEAB Grad Student & Fulbright Scholar

Re: Struggling to compute marginal effects !

Bert Gunter-2
You are more likely to get a useful answer if you read **and follow** the
posting guide linked below. In particular, show us the code that elicited
the error. A small reproducible example would be even better, though may
not be needed.

Cheers,
Bert

sticking things into it."

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Willy Byamungu <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear Oscar,
> and any other R-project person,
>
> Can you please help me to figure out the meaning of the following error
> message in red ?
>
> Error in eval(predvars, data, env) :
>   numeric 'envir' arg not of length one
>
> I computed ordered logit models using 'polr' in R (I just followed the
> guidance a handout I found on princeton.edu about logit, probit and
> multinomial logit models) . The summary results are obtained without any
> problem. *However*, when I'm using the package 'erer' to compute the
> marginal effects for the ordered logit models, I'm just getting the error
> message above.
>
> Please HELP !!!!
>
> Willy
>

> --
> Willy Mulimbi B.
> AEAB Grad Student & Fulbright Scholar
> Tel. (+1) 479-316-5981
> Fayetteville, AR

> posting-guide.html

Re: Struggling to compute marginal effects !

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Willy,
The error message may be due to passing an inappropriate environment.
I don't have the "erer" package, but if that function has a default
for the environment argument, perhaps passing just the "predvars" and
"data" arguments will work.

Jim

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 8:24 AM, Willy Byamungu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Oscar,
> and any other R-project person,
>
> Can you please help me to figure out the meaning of the following error
> message in red ?
>
> Error in eval(predvars, data, env) :
>   numeric 'envir' arg not of length one
>
> I computed ordered logit models using 'polr' in R (I just followed the
> guidance a handout I found on princeton.edu about logit, probit and
> multinomial logit models) . The summary results are obtained without any
> problem. *However*, when I'm using the package 'erer' to compute the
> marginal effects for the ordered logit models, I'm just getting the error
> message above.
>
> Please HELP !!!!
>
> Willy
>

> --
> Willy Mulimbi B.
> AEAB Grad Student & Fulbright Scholar
> Tel. (+1) 479-316-5981
> Fayetteville, AR

Re: Struggling to compute marginal effects !

Jim Lemon-4
In that case, I can't work out why the first model fails but not the
second. I would start looking at "Data" to see what it contains. if:

object2 <- polr(Inc ~ Training ,Data,Hess = T,method = "logistic" )

works, the problem may be with the "Adopt" variable.

Jim

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 10:55 AM, Willy Byamungu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Marginal effect for object2:
> ocME(object2)
> effect.Not_reliable_at_all effect.Less_reliable effect.Somehow_reliable
> effect.Very reliable
> Adopt                       -0.073               -0.057
> -0.064                0.193
> Training                    -0.283               -0.135
> -0.051                0.469
>

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 6:46 PM, Jim Lemon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Willy,
>> I had a look at the "erer" manual, and it looks like a (somewhat)
>> misleading error message. I don't know where "Inc_reliable_fromNTA"
>> may be, but it looks like the ocME function can't find it, which leads
>> to the "environment" error message. You have defined "Inc" as an
>> element of "Data" and when that is used in the model, the ocME
>> function works. I suspect that  "Inc_reliable_fromNTA" is not an
>> element of "Data" and this is why ocME cannot find it.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 10:26 AM, Willy Byamungu
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear Jim,
>> >
>> > Thank you very much for your help.
>> >
>> > My R-coding looks like this:
>> >
>> > Data$Inc <- ordered(Data$Inc =
>> > c("Not_reliable_at_all","Less_reliable","Somehow_reliable","Very
>> > reliable"))
>> >
>> > First model
>> > object1 <- polr(Inc_reliable_fromNTA ~ Adopt ,Data,Hess = T,method =
>> > "logistic")
>> >
>> > Marginal effect for object1:
>> > ocME(object1)
>> > Error in eval(predvars, data, env) :
>> >   numeric 'envir' arg not of length one
>> >
>> > Second model
>> > object2 <- polr(Inc ~ Adopt + Training ,Data,Hess = T,method =
>> > "logistic" )
>> >
>> > Marginal effect for object2:
>> > ocME(object2)
>> > effect.Not_reliable_at_all effect.Less_reliable effect.Somehow_reliable
>> > effect.Very reliable
>> > Adopt                       -0.073               -0.057
>> > -0.064                0.193
>> > Training                    -0.283               -0.135
>> > -0.051                0.469
>> >>

>> > The model computing requires package "MASS" and marginal effects require
>> > "ERER". As you can see above, in the first case it succeed to provide
>> > results but in the first case NO.
>> >
>> > What do you think? By the way, what do you mean by inappropriate
>> > environment
>> > and predvars?
>> >
>> > Looking forward to hearing from you.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Willy

>> > --
>> > Willy Mulimbi B.
>> > AEAB Grad Student & Fulbright Scholar
>> > Tel. (+1) 479-316-5981
>> > Fayetteville, AR
>

> --
> Willy Mulimbi B.
> AEAB Grad Student & Fulbright Scholar
> Tel. (+1) 479-316-5981
> Fayetteville, AR

Re: Struggling to compute marginal effects !

Thank you very much Jim.