Sweave: trouble controlling Design package startup output

Sweave: trouble controlling Design package startup output

PaulJohnson32gmail
Hello, everybody:

I'm experimenting more with Sweave, R, and LyX. There's now an entry
in the LyX wiki on using R, so anybody can do it!

http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyxWithRThroughSweave

Now I notice this frustrating thing.  I think I've done everything
possible to make the Design library start up without any fanfare:

<<echo=F,quiet=T,print=F>>=
library(Design, verbose=F)
@

But in the output there is still one page of banner information, which
starts like this:

Hmisc library by Frank E Harrell Jr
Type library(help= Hmisc ), ?Overview, or ?Hmisc.Overview )
to see overall documentation.
NOTE:Hmisc no longer redefines [.factor to drop unused levels when
subsetting. To get the old behavior of Hmisc type dropUnusedLevels().
  Attaching package: Hmisc      The following object(s) are masked
from package:stats :
[and so forth]

Can you tell me how to make it stop?

I've seen this kind of output with a couple of other packages over the
past 2 months, but I can't find the files that produced them, so I
can't cite the examples.  But I don't think it is confined to Design.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Re: Sweave: trouble controlling Design package startup output

Frank Harrell
Paul Johnson wrote:

> Hello, everybody:
>
> I'm experimenting more with Sweave, R, and LyX. There's now an entry
> in the LyX wiki on using R, so anybody can do it!
>
> http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyxWithRThroughSweave
>
> Now I notice this frustrating thing.  I think I've done everything
> possible to make the Design library start up without any fanfare:
>

> <<echo=F,quiet=T,print=F>>=
> library(Design, verbose=F)
> @
>
> But in the output there is still one page of banner information, which
> starts like this:

> Hmisc library by Frank E Harrell Jr
> Type library(help= Hmisc ), ?Overview, or ?Hmisc.Overview )
> to see overall documentation.
> NOTE:Hmisc no longer redefines [.factor to drop unused levels when
> subsetting. To get the old behavior of Hmisc type dropUnusedLevels().
>   Attaching package: Hmisc      The following object(s) are masked
> from package:stats :
> [and so forth]
>
> Can you tell me how to make it stop?

options(Hverbose=FALSE) before library(Design)

Frank

> I've seen this kind of output with a couple of other packages over the
> past 2 months, but I can't find the files that produced them, so I
> can't cite the examples.  But I don't think it is confined to Design.
>
> --
> Paul E. Johnson
> Professor, Political Science
> 1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
> University of Kansas

Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chair           School of Medicine

Frank Harrell

Re: Sweave: trouble controlling Design package startup output

Dieter Menne
Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> <<echo=F,quiet=T,print=F>>=
> library(Design, verbose=F)
>  <at>
>
> But in the output there is still one page of banner information, which
> starts like this:

> Hmisc library by Frank E Harrell Jr
> Type library(help= Hmisc ), ?Overview, or ?Hmisc.Overview )
> to see overall documentation.

As an alternative to Frank's suggestion, try

<<init,echo=FALSE, results=hide>>=
library(nlme)
library(lattice)
library(Hmisc)