The code itself disappears after starting to execute the for loop

The code itself disappears after starting to execute the for loop

Maram SAlem-2
Hi all,

I've a question concerning the R 3.3.1 version. I have a long code that I used to run on versions earlier to the 3.3.1 version, and when I copied the code to the R console, I can still see the code while the loop is executing , along with the output printed after each iteration of the loop.

Now, on the 3.3.1 version, after I copy the code to the console, it disappears and I only see the printed output of only one iteration at a time, that is, after the first iteration the printed output disappears ( though it's only 6 lines, just giving me some guidance, not a long output).
This is causing me some problems, so I don't know if there is a general option for R that enables me to still see the code and the output of all the iterations till the loop is over, as was the case with earlier R versions.

I didn't include the code as it's a long one.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Maram

Sent from my iPhone

Re: The code itself disappears after starting to execute the for loop

jholtman
A little more information would help.  How exactly are out creating the
output to the console?  Are you using 'print', 'cat' or something else?  Do
you have buffered output checked on the GUI (you probably don't want it
checked or you output will be delayed till the buffer is full -- this might
be the cause of your problem.

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Maram SAlem <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've a question concerning the R 3.3.1 version. I have a long code that I
> used to run on versions earlier to the 3.3.1 version, and when I copied the
> code to the R console, I can still see the code while the loop is executing
> , along with the output printed after each iteration of the loop.
>
> Now, on the 3.3.1 version, after I copy the code to the console, it
> disappears and I only see the printed output of only one iteration at a
> time, that is, after the first iteration the printed output disappears (
> though it's only 6 lines, just giving me some guidance, not a long output).
> This is causing me some problems, so I don't know if there is a general
> option for R that enables me to still see the code and the output of all
> the iterations till the loop is over, as was the case with earlier R
> versions.
>
> I didn't include the code as it's a long one.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
>
> Maram
>

> Sent from my iPhone
> posting-guide.html

Re: The code itself disappears after starting to execute the for loop

Maram SAlem-2
Thanks for helping Jim.

I'm actually using the pbapply function together with the print function within a loop. In earlier versions, the progress bar and the output of the print function used to appear after each iteration of the loop. But with the 3.3.1. Version nothing appears, instead the console turns white and the cursor turns blue ( busy) and I know nothing about the progress of the running code.

I just want to see the bar and the output of the print function as I used to, any help?

Thanks in advance.
Maram Salem

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 3, 2016, at 8:30 PM, jim holtman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A little more information would help.  How exactly are out creating the output to the console?  Are you using 'print', 'cat' or something else?  Do you have buffered output checked on the GUI (you probably don't want it checked or you output will be delayed till the buffer is full -- this might be the cause of your problem.
>

> Jim Holtman
> Data Munger Guru
>
> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.
>
>> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Maram SAlem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've a question concerning the R 3.3.1 version. I have a long code that I used to run on versions earlier to the 3.3.1 version, and when I copied the code to the R console, I can still see the code while the loop is executing , along with the output printed after each iteration of the loop.
>>
>> Now, on the 3.3.1 version, after I copy the code to the console, it disappears and I only see the printed output of only one iteration at a time, that is, after the first iteration the printed output disappears ( though it's only 6 lines, just giving me some guidance, not a long output).
>> This is causing me some problems, so I don't know if there is a general option for R that enables me to still see the code and the output of all the iterations till the loop is over, as was the case with earlier R versions.
>>
>> I didn't include the code as it's a long one.
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance,
>>
>> Maram
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: The code itself disappears after starting to execute the for loop

Bert Gunter-2
In addition to Jim's comments, which you have not yet satisfactorily
addressed (buffering in GUI??),

1. Show your code!

2. Show ouput of sessionInfo()

3. Upgrade to the latest R version maybe

4. Perhaps write to package maintainer (see ?maintainer) if nothing or
no one helps.

Cheers,
Bert

and sticking things into it."

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Maram SAlem <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for helping Jim.
>
> I'm actually using the pbapply function together with the print function within a loop. In earlier versions, the progress bar and the output of the print function used to appear after each iteration of the loop. But with the 3.3.1. Version nothing appears, instead the console turns white and the cursor turns blue ( busy) and I know nothing about the progress of the running code.
>
> I just want to see the bar and the output of the print function as I used to, any help?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Maram Salem
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 3, 2016, at 8:30 PM, jim holtman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A little more information would help.  How exactly are out creating the output to the console?  Are you using 'print', 'cat' or something else?  Do you have buffered output checked on the GUI (you probably don't want it checked or you output will be delayed till the buffer is full -- this might be the cause of your problem.
>>

>> Jim Holtman
>> Data Munger Guru
>>
>> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
>> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.
>>
>>> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Maram SAlem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've a question concerning the R 3.3.1 version. I have a long code that I used to run on versions earlier to the 3.3.1 version, and when I copied the code to the R console, I can still see the code while the loop is executing , along with the output printed after each iteration of the loop.
>>>
>>> Now, on the 3.3.1 version, after I copy the code to the console, it disappears and I only see the printed output of only one iteration at a time, that is, after the first iteration the printed output disappears ( though it's only 6 lines, just giving me some guidance, not a long output).
>>> This is causing me some problems, so I don't know if there is a general option for R that enables me to still see the code and the output of all the iterations till the loop is over, as was the case with earlier R versions.
>>>
>>> I didn't include the code as it's a long one.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot in advance,
>>>
>>> Maram
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: The code itself disappears after starting to execute the for loop

Maram SAlem-2
Thanks a lot Bert , will check out your suggestions.

I've unchecked the buffer output option in GUI but still have the same problem.

Thanks for your time and concern.

Maram Salem

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 23, 2016, at 5:55 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In addition to Jim's comments, which you have not yet satisfactorily
> addressed (buffering in GUI??),
>
> 1. Show your code!
>
> 2. Show ouput of sessionInfo()
>
> 3. Upgrade to the latest R version maybe
>
> 4. Perhaps write to package maintainer (see ?maintainer) if nothing or
> no one helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Bert
>

> Bert Gunter

> and sticking things into it."
>

>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Maram SAlem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks for helping Jim.
>>
>> I'm actually using the pbapply function together with the print function within a loop. In earlier versions, the progress bar and the output of the print function used to appear after each iteration of the loop. But with the 3.3.1. Version nothing appears, instead the console turns white and the cursor turns blue ( busy) and I know nothing about the progress of the running code.
>>
>> I just want to see the bar and the output of the print function as I used to, any help?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Maram Salem
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Nov 3, 2016, at 8:30 PM, jim holtman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> A little more information would help.  How exactly are out creating the output to the console?  Are you using 'print', 'cat' or something else?  Do you have buffered output checked on the GUI (you probably don't want it checked or you output will be delayed till the buffer is full -- this might be the cause of your problem.
>>>

>>> Jim Holtman
>>> Data Munger Guru
>>>
>>> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
>>> Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.

Re: The code itself disappears after starting to execute the for loop

Jon Skoien
I don't have a solution to this problem, but as I have also struggled
with what I think is the same problem, I tried to find a small
reproducible example.
The problem seems indeed to be with the progress bar, which will clear
the console after x iterations when the progress bar is called in a
function which is wrapped in a loop. In the example below, this happened
for me every ~44th iteration. Interestingly, it seems that reduction of
the sleep times in this function increases the number of iterations
before clearing.

testit <- function(x = sort(runif(20)), ...)
{
   pb <- txtProgressBar(...)
   for(i in c(0, x, 1)) {Sys.sleep(0.2); setTxtProgressBar(pb, i)}
   Sys.sleep(1)
   close(pb)
}

iter = 0
while (TRUE) {testit(style = 3); iter = iter + 1; print(paste("done",
iter))}

Is this only a problem for a few, or is it reproducible? Any hints to
what the problem could be? I have seen this in some versions of R, and
could also reproduce on a freshly installed 3.3.2.

Best wishes,
Jon

R version 3.3.2 (2016-10-31)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 8.1 x64 (build 9600)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods base

On 11/23/2016 5:22 PM, Maram SAlem wrote:

> Thanks a lot Bert , will check out your suggestions.
>
> I've unchecked the buffer output option in GUI but still have the same problem.
>
> Thanks for your time and concern.
>
> Maram Salem
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 23, 2016, at 5:55 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In addition to Jim's comments, which you have not yet satisfactorily
>> addressed (buffering in GUI??),
>>
>> 1. Show your code!
>>
>> 2. Show ouput of sessionInfo()
>>
>> 3. Upgrade to the latest R version maybe
>>
>> 4. Perhaps write to package maintainer (see ?maintainer) if nothing or
>> no one helps.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bert
>>

>> Bert Gunter
>>
>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>> and sticking things into it."
>>

>>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Maram SAlem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks for helping Jim.
>>>
>>> I'm actually using the pbapply function together with the print function within a loop. In earlier versions, the progress bar and the output of the print function used to appear after each iteration of the loop. But with the 3.3.1. Version nothing appears, instead the console turns white and the cursor turns blue ( busy) and I know nothing about the progress of the running code.
>>>
>>> I just want to see the bar and the output of the print function as I used to, any help?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> Maram Salem
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPhone

Jon Olav Skøien
Joint Research Centre - European Commission
Institute for Space, Security & Migration
Disaster Risk Management Unit

Via E. Fermi 2749, TP 122,  I-21027 Ispra (VA), ITALY

[hidden email]
Tel:  +39 0332 789205

Disclaimer: Views expressed in this email are those of the individual and do not necessarily represent official views of the European Commission.