Time series plotting trouble

Notaprogrammer2119
Hi, I'm very new to R. I'm dealing with a large excel time series dataset containing monthly averages (12 readings per year) of population of a species of plankton from 1958-2015. I imported the data into R after converting it into a ".csv". But before I can make my plot of annual average vs the above-mentioned years, I have to calculate the annual averages for each year. Do I have to manually create individual separate objects for each year? Or is there a better way?