Timeliness of precompiled binaries--R-2.2.1 still not available as RPM

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Timeliness of precompiled binaries--R-2.2.1 still not available as RPM

Waichler, Scott R

R-2.2.1 is still not available for Redhat Linux as an RPM on CRAN.  It
is available as an SRPM.  Can someone fill me in on why it takes so long
to make RPMs available?  I would be happy to help make the RPMs for el4
and el3 if such help is needed.

Regards,
Scott Waichler
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
scott.waichler _at_ pnl.gov

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Timeliness of precompiled binaries--R-2.2.1 still not available as RPM

Gavin Simpson
On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 08:38 -0800, Waichler, Scott R wrote:
> R-2.2.1 is still not available for Redhat Linux as an RPM on CRAN.  It
> is available as an SRPM.  Can someone fill me in on why it takes so long
> to make RPMs available?  I would be happy to help make the RPMs for el4
> and el3 if such help is needed.

Because someone has to volunteer their time to create such things -
these are not automatically built by R-Core members. Martyn Plummer has
done this for as long as I've been using R...

...Mores the point, though, which CRAN mirror were you looking at? R
2.2.1 was in all the EL3/4 and FC3/4 i386 and x86_64 directories I could
be bothered to look at on the UK Bristol mirror for example.

G

> Regards,
> Scott Waichler
> Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
> scott.waichler _at_ pnl.gov

--
%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%
Gavin Simpson                     [T] +44 (0)20 7679 5522
ENSIS Research Fellow             [F] +44 (0)20 7679 7565
ENSIS Ltd. & ECRC                 [E] gavin.simpsonATNOSPAMucl.ac.uk
UCL Department of Geography       [W] http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfagls/cv/
26 Bedford Way                    [W] http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfagls/
London.  WC1H 0AP.
%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Timeliness of precompiled binaries--R-2.2.1 still not available as RPM

Peter Dalgaard
Gavin Simpson <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 08:38 -0800, Waichler, Scott R wrote:
> > R-2.2.1 is still not available for Redhat Linux as an RPM on CRAN.  It
> > is available as an SRPM.  Can someone fill me in on why it takes so long
> > to make RPMs available?  I would be happy to help make the RPMs for el4
> > and el3 if such help is needed.
>
> Because someone has to volunteer their time to create such things -
> these are not automatically built by R-Core members. Martyn Plummer has
> done this for as long as I've been using R...
>
> ...Mores the point, though, which CRAN mirror were you looking at? R
> 2.2.1 was in all the EL3/4 and FC3/4 i386 and x86_64 directories I could
> be bothered to look at on the UK Bristol mirror for example.

Not in EL4 on CRAN master, as far as I can see...

It's not only volunteer time that matters. They also need access to a
machine that runs the OS version in question, which I suspect could be
the issue here.


--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Ă˜ster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
  c/ /'_ --- Dept. of Biostatistics     PO Box 2099, 1014 Cph. K
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark          Ph:  (+45) 35327918
~~~~~~~~~~ - ([hidden email])                  FAX: (+45) 35327907

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Timeliness of precompiled binaries--R-2.2.1 still not available as RPM

Gavin Simpson
On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 18:53 +0100, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> Gavin Simpson <[hidden email]> writes:
<snip>
> > ...Mores the point, though, which CRAN mirror were you looking at? R
> > 2.2.1 was in all the EL3/4 and FC3/4 i386 and x86_64 directories I could
> > be bothered to look at on the UK Bristol mirror for example.
>
> Not in EL4 on CRAN master, as far as I can see...

Time to visit the opticians me thinks...

--
%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%
Gavin Simpson                     [T] +44 (0)20 7679 5522
ENSIS Research Fellow             [F] +44 (0)20 7679 7565
ENSIS Ltd. & ECRC                 [E] gavin.simpsonATNOSPAMucl.ac.uk
UCL Department of Geography       [W] http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfagls/cv/
26 Bedford Way                    [W] http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfagls/
London.  WC1H 0AP.
%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Timeliness of precompiled binaries--R-2.2.1 still not available as RPM

Martyn Plummer-2
In reply to this post by Peter Dalgaard
On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 18:53 +0100, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Gavin Simpson <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 08:38 -0800, Waichler, Scott R wrote:
> > > R-2.2.1 is still not available for Redhat Linux as an RPM on CRAN.  It
> > > is available as an SRPM.  Can someone fill me in on why it takes so long
> > > to make RPMs available?  I would be happy to help make the RPMs for el4
> > > and el3 if such help is needed.
> >
> > Because someone has to volunteer their time to create such things -
> > these are not automatically built by R-Core members. Martyn Plummer has
> > done this for as long as I've been using R...
> >
> > ...Mores the point, though, which CRAN mirror were you looking at? R
> > 2.2.1 was in all the EL3/4 and FC3/4 i386 and x86_64 directories I could
> > be bothered to look at on the UK Bristol mirror for example.
>
> Not in EL4 on CRAN master, as far as I can see...
>
> It's not only volunteer time that matters. They also need access to a
> machine that runs the OS version in question, which I suspect could be
> the issue here.

What Peter said.  I do have a volunteer to create RHEL4 binaries but,
they needed to install RHEL4 on a new machine first. I sent a reminder
and I hope we shall have RHEL4 binaries on CRAN soon.

Martyn



-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message and its attachments are strictly confidential. ...{{dropped}}

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html