Timezone problem with 3.4.2

Fisher Dennis
Colleagues

I just installed 3.4.2 on a Mac running High Sierra.

I encountered the following:

R version 3.4.2 (2017-09-28) -- "Short Summer"
Copyright (C) 2017 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> Sys.Date()
[1] "2017-12-01"
Warning message:
In as.POSIXlt.POSIXct(Sys.time()) :
  unknown timezone 'zone/tz/2017c.1.0/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles'

There is nothing odd about the date/time settings on the computer.

I then tried:
> Sys.timezone()
[1] NA

Previously, there was not a problem with timezones.

Can I override this?

Any thoughts?

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
Phone / Fax: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
www.PLessThan.com

Re: Timezone problem with 3.4.2

R. Mark Sharp-3
From Peter Dalgaard announcement earlier today.

CHANGES IN R 3.4.3:

 INSTALLATION on a UNIX-ALIKE:

   * A workaround has been added for the changes in location of
     time-zone files in macOS 10.13 'High Sierra' and again in
     10.13.1, so the default time zone is deduced correctly from the
     system setting when R is configured with --with-internal-tzcode
     (the default on macOS).

R. Mark Sharp, Ph.D.
Data Scientist and Biomedical Statistical Consultant
7526 Meadow Green St.
San Antonio, TX 78251
mobile: 210-218-2868
[hidden email]

> On Nov 30, 2017, at 8:37 PM, Dennis Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Colleagues
>
> I just installed 3.4.2 on a Mac running High Sierra.
>
> I encountered the following:
>
> R version 3.4.2 (2017-09-28) -- "Short Summer"
> Copyright (C) 2017 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
>
> R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
> Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.
>
>  Natural language support but running in an English locale
>
> R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
> Type 'contributors()' for more information and
> 'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.
>
> Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
> 'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
> Type 'q()' to quit R.
>
>> Sys.Date()
> [1] "2017-12-01"
> Warning message:
> In as.POSIXlt.POSIXct(Sys.time()) :
>  unknown timezone 'zone/tz/2017c.1.0/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles'
>
> There is nothing odd about the date/time settings on the computer.
>
> I then tried:
>> Sys.timezone()
> [1] NA
>
> Previously, there was not a problem with timezones.
>
> Can I override this?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Dennis
>
> Dennis Fisher MD
> P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
> Phone / Fax: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
> www.PLessThan.com

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files and/or attachments transmitted, may contain privileged and confidential information and is intended solely for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and/or attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender stating that this transmission was misdirected; return the e-mail to sender; destroy all paper copies and delete all electronic copies from your system without disclosing its contents.

Re: Timezone problem with 3.4.2

Fisher Dennis
Mark

Thanks for pointing this out.  I did a default installation of R.  Does this mean that I need to reinstall from the command line?

www.PLessThan.com <http://www.plessthan.com/>

> [...]
>>
>> Dennis
>>
>> Dennis Fisher MD
>> P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
>> Phone / Fax: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
>> www.PLessThan.com

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files and/or attachments transmitted, may contain privileged and confidential information and is intended solely for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and/or attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender stating that this transmission was misdirected; return the e-mail to sender; destroy all paper copies and delete all electronic copies from your system without disclosing its contents.

Dennis,

Brian Ripley pointed out shortly after 3.4.2 was released that the timezone was not being set correctly because of last minute changes to MacOS. You will have to install 3.4.3. I am waiting for the native installer, which will likely be out within a few days.

Mark