Tranferring R results to word prosessors

12

Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Tom Backer Johnsen
I have just started looking at R, and are getting more and more irritated
at myself for not having done that before.

However, one of the things I have not found in the documentation is some
way of preparing output from R for convenient formatting into something
like MS Word.  An example:  If you use summary(lm(....)) you get nice
output.  However, if you try to paste that output into the word processor,
all the text elements are separated by blanks, and that is not optimal for
the creation of a table (in the word processing sense).

Is there an option to generate tab-separated output in R ? That would solve
the problem.

Tom

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Doran, Harold
Well, I don't know if it can be used with Word or not, but you might
consider Sweave for use with LaTeX. Maybe if you use the sink() command
this might work, but I haven't tried it.

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Gabor Grothendieck
In Word use a fixed font such as Courier rather than a proportional
font and it will look ok.

On 2/9/06, Tom Backer Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have just started looking at R, and are getting more and more irritated
> at myself for not having done that before.
>
> However, one of the things I have not found in the documentation is some
> way of preparing output from R for convenient formatting into something
> like MS Word.  An example:  If you use summary(lm(....)) you get nice
> output.  However, if you try to paste that output into the word processor,
> all the text elements are separated by blanks, and that is not optimal for
> the creation of a table (in the word processing sense).
>
> Is there an option to generate tab-separated output in R ? That would solve
> the problem.
>
> Tom

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Romain François
Le 09.02.2006 15:41, Tom Backer Johnsen a écrit :

>I have just started looking at R, and are getting more and more irritated
>at myself for not having done that before.
>
>However, one of the things I have not found in the documentation is some
>way of preparing output from R for convenient formatting into something
>like MS Word.  An example:  If you use summary(lm(....)) you get nice
>output.  However, if you try to paste that output into the word processor,
>all the text elements are separated by blanks, and that is not optimal for
>the creation of a table (in the word processing sense).
>
>Is there an option to generate tab-separated output in R ? That would solve
>the problem.
>
>Tom

Hi ,

One way could be to output in html format from R (with the R2HTML
package) and then read back the html from your word processor

Romain

--
visit the R Graph Gallery : http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques
mixmod 1.7 is released : http://www-math.univ-fcomte.fr/mixmod/index.php

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Sebastian P. Luque
Tom Backer Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

> However, one of the things I have not found in the documentation is some
> way of preparing output from R for convenient formatting into something
> like MS Word.

In case you're not talking about table-like output exclusively, reading
?Devices describes all the available kinds of graphical output.  Most of
these can then easily be included in MS Word.

Sebastian P. Luque

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Rau, Roland

If you go along the HTML path, the package xtable might be also your
friend:

library(xtable)
mymat <- matrix(1:9, ncol=3)
print.xtable(xtable(mymat), type="HTML")

Hope this is useful for you,
Roland

+++++
This mail has been sent through the MPI for Demographic Rese...{{dropped}}

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Philippe Grosjean
I have added several convenient methods for sending data directly from R
to Microsoft Word (report() function) in the svViews package (SciViews
bundle). However, I still have to upload it to CRAN. I do it right now.
It should be available in a couple of days.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean

Romain Francois wrote:

> Le 09.02.2006 15:41, Tom Backer Johnsen a écrit :
>

>>I have just started looking at R, and are getting more and more irritated
>>at myself for not having done that before.
>>
>>However, one of the things I have not found in the documentation is some
>>way of preparing output from R for convenient formatting into something
>>like MS Word.  An example:  If you use summary(lm(....)) you get nice
>>output.  However, if you try to paste that output into the word processor,
>>all the text elements are separated by blanks, and that is not optimal for
>>the creation of a table (in the word processing sense).
>>
>>Is there an option to generate tab-separated output in R ? That would solve
>>the problem.
>>
>>Tom
>>

> Hi ,
>
> One way could be to output in html format from R (with the R2HTML
> package) and then read back the html from your word processor
>
> Romain

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Adaikalavan Ramasamy
I agree that this is the best way.

I often use Courier font with font size 10 that gives very good results.

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 09:47 -0500, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> In Word use a fixed font such as Courier rather than a proportional
> font and it will look ok.
>
> On 2/9/06, Tom Backer Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have just started looking at R, and are getting more and more irritated
> > at myself for not having done that before.
> >
> > However, one of the things I have not found in the documentation is some
> > way of preparing output from R for convenient formatting into something
> > like MS Word.  An example:  If you use summary(lm(....)) you get nice
> > output.  However, if you try to paste that output into the word processor,
> > all the text elements are separated by blanks, and that is not optimal for
> > the creation of a table (in the word processing sense).
> >
> > Is there an option to generate tab-separated output in R ? That would solve
> > the problem.
> >
> > Tom

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

barry rowlingson
Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
> I have just started looking at R, and are getting more and more irritated
> at myself for not having done that before.
>
> However, one of the things I have not found in the documentation is some
> way of preparing output from R for convenient formatting into something
> like MS Word.

  Well whatever you do, don't start looking at LaTeX, because that will
get you even more irritated at yourself for not having done it before.

  LaTeX is to Word as R is to what? SPSS?

  I've still not seen a pretty piece of mathematics - or even text - in
Word.

Barry

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Marc Schwartz (via MN)
In follow up to Harold's thought of using LaTeX, I have an approach when
the use of nicely formatted tables is required in a document where LaTeX
is not being used for the entire document. In other words, where you
need to use Word, OO.org's Writer or similar application for the
majority of the document body.

This involves outputting R results to LaTeX table code in a text file,
processing the file with 'latex' and 'dvips' and creating an EPS file.
Of course, the LaTeX text file is fully complete with preamble, etc.

One can then import the EPS file to a page in the document processor
file. The most recent versions of the aforementioned applications will
generate a bitmapped preview of the table content to aid in placement
and review.

You can then print the document to a PS printer or file for subsequent
use. OO.org's Writer can also use Ghostscript to print to a PDF file
using a "PDF Converter" in the printer selection dialog. This,
importantly, is different than the "Export to PDF" function. The latter
does not properly print embedded EPS images and prints the bitmapped
preview instead.

The advantage of this approach is that you don't have to mess around in
the word processing program doing a 'text to table' conversion and then
go through the formatting of the resultant columns, borders, etc.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 09:47 -0500, Doran, Harold wrote:

> Well, I don't know if it can be used with Word or not, but you might
> consider Sweave for use with LaTeX. Maybe if you use the sink() command
> this might work, but I haven't tried it.

Roger J. Bos
Yeah, but I don't understand LaTeX at all.  Can you point me to a good
beginners guide?

Thanks,

Roger

On 2/9/06, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
> > I have just started looking at R, and are getting more and more
> irritated
> > at myself for not having done that before.
> >
> > However, one of the things I have not found in the documentation is some
> > way of preparing output from R for convenient formatting into something
> > like MS Word.
>
> Well whatever you do, don't start looking at LaTeX, because that will
> get you even more irritated at yourself for not having done it before.
>
> LaTeX is to Word as R is to what? SPSS?
>
> I've still not seen a pretty piece of mathematics - or even text - in
> Word.
>
> Barry

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Francisco J. Zagmutt
Take a look at the facilities to write HTML output in library(R2HTML).  If
you write an HTML file, you can then easily copy and paste it into your Word
document, or from MS Word you can use the Insert menu. i.e.

library(R2HTML)
x=ftable(Titanic, row.vars = 1:3)
HTML(x,"Titanic.html")

Then from MS Word use Insert-> File and select Titanic.html and see the
results.

I hope this helps

Francisco

>From: Tom Backer Johnsen <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: [R] Tranferring R results to word prosessors
>Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:41:09 +0100
>
>I have just started looking at R, and are getting more and more irritated
>at myself for not having done that before.
>
>However, one of the things I have not found in the documentation is some
>way of preparing output from R for convenient formatting into something
>like MS Word.  An example:  If you use summary(lm(....)) you get nice
>output.  However, if you try to paste that output into the word processor,
>all the text elements are separated by blanks, and that is not optimal for
>the creation of a table (in the word processing sense).
>
>Is there an option to generate tab-separated output in R ? That would solve
>the problem.
>
>Tom

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Frank Harrell
Marc Schwartz (via MN) wrote:

> In follow up to Harold's thought of using LaTeX, I have an approach when
> the use of nicely formatted tables is required in a document where LaTeX
> is not being used for the entire document. In other words, where you
> need to use Word, OO.org's Writer or similar application for the
> majority of the document body.
>
> This involves outputting R results to LaTeX table code in a text file,
> processing the file with 'latex' and 'dvips' and creating an EPS file.
> Of course, the LaTeX text file is fully complete with preamble, etc.
>
> One can then import the EPS file to a page in the document processor
> file. The most recent versions of the aforementioned applications will
> generate a bitmapped preview of the table content to aid in placement
> and review.
>
> You can then print the document to a PS printer or file for subsequent
> use. OO.org's Writer can also use Ghostscript to print to a PDF file
> using a "PDF Converter" in the printer selection dialog. This,
> importantly, is different than the "Export to PDF" function. The latter
> does not properly print embedded EPS images and prints the bitmapped
> preview instead.
>
> The advantage of this approach is that you don't have to mess around in
> the word processing program doing a 'text to table' conversion and then
> go through the formatting of the resultant columns, borders, etc.
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc Schwartz

In addition to Marc's nice idea, I have had luck with Linux programs
latex2rtf (.tex to .rtf) and hevea (.tex to .html).  Most often I use
hevea and let Word users quickly convert from .html to .doc.  Of course
doing everything in LaTeX is far better, using either Sweave or
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/StatReport .  Personal productivity
with LaTeX is amazingly greater than with Word.

Frank

> On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 09:47 -0500, Doran, Harold wrote:
>
>>Well, I don't know if it can be used with Word or not, but you might
>>consider Sweave for use with LaTeX. Maybe if you use the sink() command
>>this might work, but I haven't tried it.

Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chair           School of Medicine

Frank Harrell

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Marc Schwartz (via MN)
There is some documentation online at:

http://www.latex-project.org/guides/

which would be a good starting place.

If you prefer a good book, The LaTeX Companion (aka TLC) is the place to
begin:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201362996

There is also a boxed set (expensive) of several books (including TLC)
available:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321269446

Finally, for dealing with EPS (or PDF) graphics (ie. R plots), the
online document "Using Imported Graphics in LaTeX and pdfLaTeX" is
excellent:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/epslatex.pdf

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 12:33 -0500, roger bos wrote:

> Yeah, but I don't understand LaTeX at all.  Can you point me to a good
> beginners guide?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roger
>

> On 2/9/06, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
> > > I have just started looking at R, and are getting more and more
> > irritated
> > > at myself for not having done that before.
> > >
> > > However, one of the things I have not found in the documentation is some
> > > way of preparing output from R for convenient formatting into something
> > > like MS Word.
> >
> > Well whatever you do, don't start looking at LaTeX, because that will
> > get you even more irritated at yourself for not having done it before.
> >
> > LaTeX is to Word as R is to what? SPSS?
> >
> > I've still not seen a pretty piece of mathematics - or even text - in
> > Word.
> >
> > Barry

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Patrick Burns
One approach is to use LyX (http://www.lyx.org/).
This is a lot like using Word or other word processors
but it creates LaTeX.  You probably won't need to
know anything about TeX for a long time unless you
are doing really weird things.

Patrick Burns
[hidden email]
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com

roger bos wrote:

>Yeah, but I don't understand LaTeX at all.  Can you point me to a good
>beginners guide?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Roger
>

>On 2/9/06, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
>>

>>>I have just started looking at R, and are getting more and more
>>>

>>irritated
>>

>>>at myself for not having done that before.
>>>
>>>However, one of the things I have not found in the documentation is some
>>>way of preparing output from R for convenient formatting into something
>>>like MS Word.
>>>

>>Well whatever you do, don't start looking at LaTeX, because that will
>>get you even more irritated at yourself for not having done it before.
>>
>>LaTeX is to Word as R is to what? SPSS?
>>
>>I've still not seen a pretty piece of mathematics - or even text - in
>>Word.
>>
>>Barry

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Peter Flom
>>> roger bos <[hidden email]> 2/9/2006 12:33 pm >>> wrote
<<<
Yeah, but I don't understand LaTeX at all.  Can you point me to a good
beginners guide?

I like Math into LaTeX, by Gratzer.
For a real beginners guide, there's one called first steps in LaTeX.
You might also want to look at issues of the PracTEX journal, many of which are for beginners (It's an online journal)

Peter

Peter L. Flom, PhD
Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research
National Development and Research Institutes
71 W. 23rd St
http://cduhr.ndri.org
www.peterflom.com
New York, NY 10010
(212) 845-4485 (voice)
(917) 438-0894 (fax)

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Peter Flom
>>> "Marc Schwartz (via MN)" <[hidden email]> 2/9/2006
<<<
If you prefer a good book, The LaTeX Companion (aka TLC) is the place
to begin:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201362996

Peter L. Flom, PhD
Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research
National Development and Research Institutes
71 W. 23rd St
http://cduhr.ndri.org
www.peterflom.com
New York, NY 10010
(212) 845-4485 (voice)
(917) 438-0894 (fax)

I respectfully disagree.  TLC is a great book.  Absolutely.  But I
think it is overwhelming for a beginner.

Peter

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Adaikalavan Ramasamy
As much as I love LaTeX, I would be cautious on recommending it for
someone with a short term objective or does not really need to write
equations etc.

Part of the reason is the initial step of getting the different
softwares required to make LaTeX work properly can be difficult.
However, I think this webpage does a good job of explaining it
http://www.math.aau.dk/~dethlef/Tips/introduction.html

WinEdt (http://www.winedt.com/) might also be worth checking out.

Regards, Adai

At 11:42 10.02.2006 -0300, CENDOYA, Maria Gabriela wrote:

>Hi Tom:
>
>               May be I didn't understand your question but, what I do to cut
>and paste results from say summary.lm, in a word processors without losing
>the nice shape of the R Console, is to choose the same type of letter in
>both,

That works -- to some extent.  But, that means that the formatting of the
table is completely dependent on the number of spaces between the
elements.  It is essentially the same kind of formatting of tables I did on
my first typewriter about 40 years ago.  Any nontrivial change is
troublesome, and you have to stick to fixed size fonts like
Courier.  Modern editors have moved far beyond that point.

This is about generating a table in a text document from R type
output.  This type of table increases flexibility in respect to formatting.

>               I mean, in my R Gui preferences I use Courier New size 10,
>then if I choose that type of letter in my word processors, I see the same
>in both windows.

Yes.

Tom

Re: Tranferring R results to word prosessors

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
I started using LyX; it is very straightforward. Then, I started exporting to
LaTeX and playing around with the LaTeX file (I found it faster than using
LyX, and could take my file anywhere they had something that could manipulate
text ---emacs, vim, nedit, whatever).

Googling you'll find _many_ LaTeX tutorials. Which one is best probably
depends a lot on your preferences and learning style.

As for books, I find "Guide to LaTeX" by Kopka & Daly (I think now in its
fourth edition) far easier to use (to learn and for reference) than the
series of LaTeX books by Goossens et al. and Lamport. (And I only need to
haul around a single book, not 2 to 5). But then, again, this is surely a
matter of personal taste.

HTH,

R.

On Thursday 09 February 2006 20:08, Patrick Burns wrote:

> One approach is to use LyX (http://www.lyx.org/).
> This is a lot like using Word or other word processors
> but it creates LaTeX.  You probably won't need to
> know anything about TeX for a long time unless you
> are doing really weird things.
>
> Patrick Burns
> [hidden email]
> +44 (0)20 8525 0696
> http://www.burns-stat.com
> (home of S Poetry and "A Guide for the Unwilling S User")
>
> roger bos wrote:
> >Yeah, but I don't understand LaTeX at all.  Can you point me to a good
> >beginners guide?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Roger

> >>irritated

> >>Well whatever you do, don't start looking at LaTeX, because that will
> >>get you even more irritated at yourself for not having done it before.
> >>
> >>LaTeX is to Word as R is to what? SPSS?
> >>
> >>I've still not seen a pretty piece of mathematics - or even text - in
> >>Word.
> >>
> >>Barry

Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics Unit
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO)
(Spanish National Cancer Center)
Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3
28029 Madrid (Spain)
Fax: +-34-91-224-6972
Phone: +-34-91-224-6900

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en s...{{dropped}}

12