Quantcast

Trying to use chartSeries in quantmod

Adrian Berg
> colnames = c("date","price")
> data = read.csv(file="data.csv", sep=",", header=F, nrows=261, skip=5, col.names=colnames)
> library(quantmod)
> data
          date   price
1   2011-12-18 13.7825
2   2011-12-11 13.5500
259 2007-01-07 10.8256
260 2006-12-31 10.8531
261 2006-12-24 10.8169

# Here's where I would like to use chartSeries from quantmod, but I'm
stumped, so I try several different things

> chartSeries(date, price, data=data)
Error in try.xts(x, error = "chartSeries requires an xtsible object") :
  chartSeries requires an xtsible object
> ?chartSeries
> chartSeries(date, price, type="candlesticks", theme = chartTheme("black"))
Error in try.xts(x, error = "chartSeries requires an xtsible object") :
  chartSeries requires an xtsible object
> chartSeries(date, price, type="candlesticks", theme = chartTheme("black"), subset='2007::2008-01')
Error in try.xts(x, error = "chartSeries requires an xtsible object") :
  chartSeries requires an xtsible object

Help is appreciated very much!

Re: Trying to use chartSeries in quantmod

Adrian Berg
Thanks to mrflick on Freenode, I was able to get chartSeries to plot the data.

data$date<-strptime(data$date, format="%Y-%m-%d")
dataxts<-xts(data$price, order.by=data$date)
chartSeries(dataxts)

chartSeries(dataxts, type="candlesticks") plots the same graph though:
http://i.imgur.com/P0Jh0.png

Why is this?

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Adrian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> colnames = c("date","price")
>> data = read.csv(file="data.csv", sep=",", header=F, nrows=261, skip=5, col.names=colnames)
>> library(quantmod)
>> data
>          date   price
> 1   2011-12-18 13.7825
> 2   2011-12-11 13.5500
> 259 2007-01-07 10.8256
> 260 2006-12-31 10.8531
> 261 2006-12-24 10.8169
>
> # Here's where I would like to use chartSeries from quantmod, but I'm
> stumped, so I try several different things
>
>> chartSeries(date, price, data=data)
> Error in try.xts(x, error = "chartSeries requires an xtsible object") :
>  chartSeries requires an xtsible object
>> ?chartSeries
>> chartSeries(date, price, type="candlesticks", theme = chartTheme("black"))
> Error in try.xts(x, error = "chartSeries requires an xtsible object") :
>  chartSeries requires an xtsible object
>> chartSeries(date, price, type="candlesticks", theme = chartTheme("black"), subset='2007::2008-01')
> Error in try.xts(x, error = "chartSeries requires an xtsible object") :
>  chartSeries requires an xtsible object
>

> Help is appreciated very much!

Re: Trying to use chartSeries in quantmod

Adrian Berg
Both
> barChart(dataxts,bar.type='hlc')
> candleChart(dataxts)
give the same results as well.

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Adrian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks to mrflick on Freenode, I was able to get chartSeries to plot the data.
>
> data$date<-strptime(data$date, format="%Y-%m-%d")
> dataxts<-xts(data$price, order.by=data$date)
> chartSeries(dataxts)
>
> chartSeries(dataxts, type="candlesticks") plots the same graph though:
> http://i.imgur.com/P0Jh0.png
>
> Why is this?
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Adrian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> colnames = c("date","price")
>>> data = read.csv(file="data.csv", sep=",", header=F, nrows=261, skip=5, col.names=colnames)
>>> library(quantmod)
>>> data
>>          date   price
>> 1   2011-12-18 13.7825
>> 2   2011-12-11 13.5500
>> 259 2007-01-07 10.8256
>> 260 2006-12-31 10.8531
>> 261 2006-12-24 10.8169
>>
>> # Here's where I would like to use chartSeries from quantmod, but I'm
>> stumped, so I try several different things
>>
>>> chartSeries(date, price, data=data)
>> Error in try.xts(x, error = "chartSeries requires an xtsible object") :
>>  chartSeries requires an xtsible object
>>> ?chartSeries
>>> chartSeries(date, price, type="candlesticks", theme = chartTheme("black"))
>> Error in try.xts(x, error = "chartSeries requires an xtsible object") :
>>  chartSeries requires an xtsible object
>>> chartSeries(date, price, type="candlesticks", theme = chartTheme("black"), subset='2007::2008-01')
>> Error in try.xts(x, error = "chartSeries requires an xtsible object") :
>>  chartSeries requires an xtsible object
>>

>> Help is appreciated very much!

Re: Trying to use chartSeries in quantmod

Michael Weylandt
I believe (unchecked) that you need OHLC data for candlesticks. You can use to.TTT functions to make some from your daily data.

Michael

On Dec 21, 2011, at 11:52 PM, Adrian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Both
>> barChart(dataxts,bar.type='hlc')
>> candleChart(dataxts)
> give the same results as well.
>
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Adrian Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks to mrflick on Freenode, I was able to get chartSeries to plot the data.
>>
>> data$date<-strptime(data$date, format="%Y-%m-%d")
>> dataxts<-xts(data$price, order.by=data$date)
>> chartSeries(dataxts)
>>
>> chartSeries(dataxts, type="candlesticks") plots the same graph though:
>> http://i.imgur.com/P0Jh0.png
>>
>> Why is this?

>>>          date   price
>>> 1   2011-12-18 13.7825