Update data in text file with data in dataframe

Update data in text file with data in dataframe

Nic-2
Hello all,

I'm a novice R programmer and I don't have a clue as to how to approach
this. I have tried many different approaches only to fail and I can't
seem to wrap my head around it.  So I turn to the experts.

I have a text file with patient data that has incorrect dates of
service.  I need to update the dates of service in the text file with
data that's in a dataframe.

Data in the text file looks like this (call it PatRecs):

PatientID #:  12345
Date of Service:  8/1/2017
.

.

.

PatientID #:  12346
Date of Service: 8/2/2017

.

.

.

The dots are other data.  I'm just focused on the PatientID and DOS.

The data in the data frame (call it DF) looks like

Id2    DOS

12345, 8/3/2017
12346, 8/4/2017

etc.

The lists for both are longer than this.

I know that in programming for this that there should be readLines and
writeLines and greps - but I'm far too new to using R to figure out the
usage of these commands.

How can I update the text file (PatRecs) with the incorrect Date of
Service, with the correct DOS in the dataframe (DF)???

This is not a homework assignment, I promise.  This is just my attempt
to automate data quality using R, and so that I can learn something
new.  In any event, providing you with anything I've done so far would
be meaningless.  In an effort to minimize email space, please email me
directly.  If there is any interest I'll compile the responses and
forward them.  I humbly thank you all for any assistance with this.

Best,

Nic

Re: Update data in text file with data in dataframe

Jeff Newmiller
You might get someone on this last willing to invent something from scratch, but really this mailing list works best if you give very specific information, such as a verbatim copy of several records worth of your data file including all the stuff you want to skip over. Usually if someone is planning on inventing an example from scratch they make a blog post which you could find via search engine.  Helping you offline is also not preferred since multiple people can offer advice (or correct each other) if you keep the discussion on the list. And no, giving some of the code you have tried is indeed helpful, since it can highlight things you don't know that might seem obvious to us.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example

[2] http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Reproducibility.html

[3] https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/reprex/index.html (read the vignette)

On August 19, 2017 10:39:26 AM PDT, Nic <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm a novice R programmer and I don't have a clue as to how to approach
>
>this. I have tried many different approaches only to fail and I can't
>seem to wrap my head around it.  So I turn to the experts.
>
>I have a text file with patient data that has incorrect dates of
>service.  I need to update the dates of service in the text file with
>data that's in a dataframe.
>
>Data in the text file looks like this (call it PatRecs):
>
>PatientID #:  12345
>Date of Service:  8/1/2017
>.
>
>.
>
>.
>
>PatientID #:  12346
>Date of Service: 8/2/2017
>
>.
>
>.
>
>.
>
>The dots are other data.  I'm just focused on the PatientID and DOS.
>
>The data in the data frame (call it DF) looks like
>
>Id2    DOS
>
>12345, 8/3/2017
>12346, 8/4/2017
>
>etc.
>
>The lists for both are longer than this.
>
>I know that in programming for this that there should be readLines and
>writeLines and greps - but I'm far too new to using R to figure out the
>
>usage of these commands.
>
>How can I update the text file (PatRecs) with the incorrect Date of
>Service, with the correct DOS in the dataframe (DF)???
>
>This is not a homework assignment, I promise.  This is just my attempt
>to automate data quality using R, and so that I can learn something
>new.  In any event, providing you with anything I've done so far would
>be meaningless.  In an effort to minimize email space, please email me
>directly.  If there is any interest I'll compile the responses and
>forward them.  I humbly thank you all for any assistance with this.
>
>Best,
>
>Nic

Re: Update data in text file with data in dataframe

R help mailing list-2
I think we need a bit more info on the data layout and what decision rule you are using to update the Date of Service. Are you just updating a record to provide the most recent DoS or are you correcting errors?
Have a look at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example or
Reproducibility · Advanced R.for some susggestions on how to form a good question for R-help. Some of the details mentioned in those links can be of great help to R-help readers in trying to suggest approaches.

|  |
Reproducibility · Advanced R.

We probably should see some sample data both of the existing data set and the update data set.  Please supply it using dput()  ---discussed in the links above.  This is the best way to provide sample data as it ensures that we see exactly the same data as you see.
As Jeff says, it is best to keep all communications on the R-help list. It allows many people to see and hopefully contribute to a solution.
Welcome to R.  Most beginners spend much of their time pounding head on desk or wall but once you get a feel for the way it works it is an incredibly powerful tool.

On Saturday, August 19, 2017, 5:02:23 PM EDT, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>I know that in programming for this that there should be readLines and
>writeLines and greps - but I'm far too new to using R to figure out the
>
>usage of these commands.
>
>How can I update the text file (PatRecs) with the incorrect Date of
>Service, with the correct DOS in the dataframe (DF)???
>
>This is not a homework assignment, I promise.  This is just my attempt
>to automate data quality using R, and so that I can learn something
>new.  In any event, providing you with anything I've done so far would
>be meaningless.  In an effort to minimize email space, please email me
>directly.  If there is any interest I'll compile the responses and
>forward them.  I humbly thank you all for any assistance with this.
>
>Best,
>
>Nic

Re: Update data in text file with data in dataframe

Thanks, I'll take a look.