Upgrade R 3.2 to 3.3 using tar.gz file on Ubuntu 16.04

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Upgrade R 3.2 to 3.3 using tar.gz file on Ubuntu 16.04

Luigi
Dear all,
I am working on Linux Ubuntu 16.04 and I have installed R 3.2. I need
to upgrade to R 3.3 and I tried several options available online with
no success. I downloaded the tar.gz file for R 3.3 and I would like to
ask how can I use this file in order to accomplish the upgrade.
Many thanks,
Luigi

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade R 3.2 to 3.3 using tar.gz file on Ubuntu 16.04

Loris Bennett-2
Luigi Marongiu <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear all,
> I am working on Linux Ubuntu 16.04 and I have installed R 3.2. I need
> to upgrade to R 3.3 and I tried several options available online with
> no success. I downloaded the tar.gz file for R 3.3 and I would like to
> ask how can I use this file in order to accomplish the upgrade.
> Many thanks,
> Luigi
>

Have you looked here:

https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#Installing-R-under-Unix_002dalikes

?

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email [hidden email]

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade R 3.2 to 3.3 using tar.gz file on Ubuntu 16.04

Marc Schwartz-3
In reply to this post by Luigi

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 8:00 AM, Luigi Marongiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
> I am working on Linux Ubuntu 16.04 and I have installed R 3.2. I need
> to upgrade to R 3.3 and I tried several options available online with
> no success. I downloaded the tar.gz file for R 3.3 and I would like to
> ask how can I use this file in order to accomplish the upgrade.
> Many thanks,
> Luigi


There is a dedicated e-mail list for R on Debian and derivatives like Ubuntu:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-debian

You should subscribe to that list and then post your query there.

The answer to your question will depend, to a large extent, on how you installed R in the first place.

There are pre-compiled binaries available for R on Debian and derivatives, thanks to extensive efforts on the part of Dirk and others to maintain those repositories.

The R-SIG-Debian subscribers can help you, but be sure to indicate how you installed the version of R that you are currently using when you post there.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade R 3.2 to 3.3 using tar.gz file on Ubuntu 16.04

Jeff Newmiller
In reply to this post by Loris Bennett-2
For this query I would rather recommend [1] as reference, though Marc's suggestion to switch mailing lists is best.

[1] https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
--
Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

On September 13, 2016 6:44:29 AM PDT, Loris Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Luigi Marongiu <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>> I am working on Linux Ubuntu 16.04 and I have installed R 3.2. I need
>> to upgrade to R 3.3 and I tried several options available online with
>> no success. I downloaded the tar.gz file for R 3.3 and I would like
>to
>> ask how can I use this file in order to accomplish the upgrade.
>> Many thanks,
>> Luigi
>>
>
>Have you looked here:
>
>https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#Installing-R-under-Unix_002dalikes
>
>?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Loris
>
>--
>Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
>ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email
>[hidden email]
>
>______________________________________________
>[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
>https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>PLEASE do read the posting guide
>http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
>and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade R 3.2 to 3.3 using tar.gz file on Ubuntu 16.04

Loris Bennett-2
Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> writes:

> For this query I would rather recommend [1] as reference, though
> Marc's suggestion to switch mailing lists is best.
>
> [1] https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

But doesn't this merely describe how to install the version of R
packaged for his version of Ubuntu?  As I understood the OP, he has
already installed this version, which is 3.2.3, but would like to
install 3.3.1, which he will have to install from the sources.

If this is the case, then there is no point reposting to r-sig-debian,
since he just has to do a generic unix-like install.

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email [hidden email]

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade R 3.2 to 3.3 using tar.gz file on Ubuntu 16.04

Alain Guillet-2
In reply to this post by Luigi
Dear Luigi,

You have to modify the /etc/apt/source.list file in order to add a new
depot to get a new R version. Everything is explained on the page
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/ .

Alain


On 13/09/16 15:00, Luigi Marongiu wrote:

> Dear all,
> I am working on Linux Ubuntu 16.04 and I have installed R 3.2. I need
> to upgrade to R 3.3 and I tried several options available online with
> no success. I downloaded the tar.gz file for R 3.3 and I would like to
> ask how can I use this file in order to accomplish the upgrade.
> Many thanks,
> Luigi
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
> .
>

--
Alain Guillet
Statistician and Computer Scientist

SMCS - IMMAQ - Université catholique de Louvain
http://www.uclouvain.be/smcs

Bureau c.316
Voie du Roman Pays, 20 (bte L1.04.01)
B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Belgium

Tel: +32 10 47 30 50

Accès: http://www.uclouvain.be/323631.html

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade R 3.2 to 3.3 using tar.gz file on Ubuntu 16.04

Jeff Newmiller
In reply to this post by Loris Bennett-2
No, the default Ubuntu version is behind but that link tells how to properly install the current version using the packaging system, which makes it more easily maintained than a custom compile would be.  (Thanks, Dirk, Michael and Vincent!) Anyway, still OT here.
--
Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

On September 13, 2016 10:57:52 PM PDT, Loris Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> For this query I would rather recommend [1] as reference, though
>> Marc's suggestion to switch mailing lists is best.
>>
>> [1] https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
>
>But doesn't this merely describe how to install the version of R
>packaged for his version of Ubuntu?  As I understood the OP, he has
>already installed this version, which is 3.2.3, but would like to
>install 3.3.1, which he will have to install from the sources.
>
>If this is the case, then there is no point reposting to r-sig-debian,
>since he just has to do a generic unix-like install.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Loris
>
>--
>Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
>ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email
>[hidden email]
>
>______________________________________________
>[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
>https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>PLEASE do read the posting guide
>http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
>and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.