Warnings using SuperLearner?

Kan Gianattasio
 Hello,

I'm using the CV.SuperLearner to model a binary outcome using a set of
predictors, specifying family=binomial(), method = "method.AUC", and
SL.library = c("SL.glmnet", "SL.glm", "SL.randomForest", "SL.gam",
"SL.polymars", "SL.mean").

I'm getting a number of warning messages (copied below), and have not been
able to find anything about what they imply, or how to address them. Any
insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

---

I get the following warnings as the models are being run (many times over):

step half ouch...
step half ouch...
warning - model size was reduced
warning - model size was reduced
step half ouch...
step half ouch...
step half ouch...
step half ouch...
warning - model size was reduced
step half ouch...
warning - model size was reduced

At the very end, I'm also getting the following:

1: In method$computeCoef(Z = Z, Y = Y, libraryNames = libraryNames,  :
  optim didn't converge when estimating the super learner coefficients,
reason (see ?optim):  52  optim message:  ERROR:
ABNORMAL_TERMINATION_IN_LNSRCH
2: In method$computeCoef(Z = Z, Y = Y, libraryNames = libraryNames,  :
  optim didn't converge when estimating the super learner coefficients,
reason (see ?optim):  52  optim message:  ERROR:
ABNORMAL_TERMINATION_IN_LNSRCH
3: In method$computeCoef(Z = Z, Y = Y, libraryNames = libraryNames,  :
  optim didn't converge when estimating the super learner coefficients,
reason (see ?optim):  52  optim message:  ERROR:
ABNORMAL_TERMINATION_IN_LNSRCH
4: In method$computeCoef(Z = Z, Y = Y, libraryNames = libraryNames,  :
  optim didn't converge when estimating the super learner coefficients,
reason (see ?optim):  52  optim message:  ERROR:
ABNORMAL_TERMINATION_IN_LNSRCH
5: In method$computeCoef(Z = Z, Y = Y, libraryNames = libraryNames,  :
  optim didn't converge when estimating the super learner coefficients,
reason (see ?optim):  52  optim message:  ERROR:
ABNORMAL_TERMINATION_IN_LNSRCH
6: In method$computeCoef(Z = Z, Y = Y, libraryNames = libraryNames,  :
  optim didn't converge when estimating the super learner coefficients,
reason (see ?optim):  52  optim message:  ERROR:
ABNORMAL_TERMINATION_IN_LNSRCH
7: In method$computeCoef(Z = Z, Y = Y, libraryNames = libraryNames,  :
  optim didn't converge when estimating the super learner coefficients,
reason (see ?optim):  52  optim message:  ERROR:
ABNORMAL_TERMINATION_IN_LNSRCH

Re: Warnings using SuperLearner?

Bert Gunter-2
A guess:

It sounds like you are overspecifying models leading to numerical issues
during the various optimizations being performed. Try simplifying your
model (reducing the number of predictors).  Without more details on your
data and model, it may be difficult to diagnose beyond such a guess, though
there are certainy wiser folks than I out there.

Also, this is a plain text maiing list. Please post in plain text, not HTML.

Cheers,
Bert

sticking things into it."