What is the default covariance structure in the glmmPQL function (MASS package)?

What is the default covariance structure in the glmmPQL function (MASS package)?

Gerda Börner
Hello,

currently I am trying to fit a generalized linear mixed model using the
glmmPQL function in the MASS package. I am working with the data
provided by the book from Heck, Thomas and Tabata (2012) -
https://www.routledge.com/Multilevel-Modeling-of-Categorical-Outcomes-Using-IBM-SPSS/Heck-Thomas-Tabata/p/book/9781848729568

I was wondering, which variance-covariance structure the glmmPQL
function is using by default and if it is possible to vary the
variance-covariance structure with the glmmPQL function. Unfortunately I
couldn't manage to find out myself.
If it is possible to change it, could someone tell me how to do so? I am
especially interested in a diagonal structure versus an unstructured
variance-covariance structure.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Gerda

Re: What is the default covariance structure in the glmmPQL function (MASS package)?

Bert Gunter-2
Suggestion:

Post your query on the r-sig-mixed-models list, which is (obviously)
focused on mixed models issues, and where you are likely to find both
greater interest and expertise on such matters.

Cheers,
Bert

and sticking things into it."