Where does ' Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C" ' come from? 2

Where does ' Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C" ' come from? 2

Christian Hoffmann-3
Hi,

I am fighting to get rid of the messages like:

During startup - Warning messages:
Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"

This is annoying, because when building a package using R CMD, This
message keeps cropping up.

Here my R:
Sys.getlocale()
[1] "C"

Executing

     Open Terminal
     Write or paste in: defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG
en_US.UTF-8
     Close Terminal
     Start R

as suggested on the Net, did not help :-(

Pointers are welcome
C.

--
Christian Hoffmann
Rigiblickstrasse 15b

Re: Where does ' Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C" ' come from? 2

Jeff Newmiller
I an sorry that I cannot answer your question, but you don't seem to be very effective in your use of this resource.

While sometimes you might get responses to this kind of question here, you really ought to read the Posting Guide:

"Questions likely to prompt discussion unintelligible to non-programmers should rather go to R-devel than R-help. Questions about package development, however, e.g., passing R CMD check should go to R-package-devel rather than R-devel." You might also consider R-sig-mac... this might be related to your development environment.

... and re starting a new thread with exactly the same question is poor nettiquette in any forum. Reply-all to previous messages on the same topic to maintain the subject thread.

Oh, and offering "the net" as a reference source is a joke in poor taste... that was from the R for Mac OS FAQ which is another clue that your problem might need more specialized help.

On July 16, 2018 11:32:49 PM PDT, Christian <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am fighting to get rid of the messages like:
>
>During startup - Warning messages:
>Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
>Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"
>
>This is annoying, because when building a package using R CMD, This
>message keeps cropping up.
>
>Here my R:
>Sys.getlocale()
>[1] "C"
>
>Executing
>
>     Open Terminal
>     Write or paste in: defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG
>en_US.UTF-8
>     Close Terminal
>     Start R
>
>as suggested on the Net, did not help :-(
>
>Pointers are welcome
>C.

Where does ' Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C" ' come from? 2

Christian Hoffmann-3
Another try, I am sorry.

On 17.07.18 14:46, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> I an sorry that I cannot answer your question, but you don't seem to be very effective in your use of this resource.
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am fighting to get rid of the messages like:
>>
>> During startup - Warning messages:
>> Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
>> Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"
>>
>> This is annoying, because when building a package using R CMD, This
>> message keeps cropping up.
>>
>> Here my R:
>> Sys.getlocale()
>> [1] "C"
>>
>> Executing
>>
>>      Open Terminal
>>      Write or paste in: defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG
>> en_US.UTF-8
>>      Close Terminal
>>      Start R
>>
>> as suggested on

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9689104/installing-r-on-mac-warning-messages-setting-lc-ctype-failed-using-c,

  did not help :-(

Pointers are welcome
C.

--
Christian Hoffmann
Rigiblickstrasse 15b
CH-8915 Hausen am Albis
Switzerland
Telefon +41-(0)44-7640853

Re: Where does ' Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C" ' come from? 2

David Winsemius

> On Jul 17, 2018, at 7:36 AM, Christian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Another try, I am sorry.
>
> On 17.07.18 14:46, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>> I an sorry that I cannot answer your question, but you don't seem to be very effective in your use of this resource.
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am fighting to get rid of the messages like:
>>>
>>> During startup - Warning messages:
>>> Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
>>> Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"
>>>
>>> This is annoying, because when building a package using R CMD, This
>>> message keeps cropping up.
>>>
>>> Here my R:
>>> Sys.getlocale()
>>> [1] "C"
>>>
>>> Executing
>>>
>>>     Open Terminal
>>>     Write or paste in: defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG
>>> en_US.UTF-8
>>>     Close Terminal
>>>     Start R
>>>
>>> as suggested on
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9689104/installing-r-on-mac-warning-messages-setting-lc-ctype-failed-using-c,
>
> did not help :-(

Sigh, claiming that something "did not help" usually ...does not help. You need a clear unambigous description of everything that was in place and exactly what was being done when the unexpected behavior occurred.

And you need to post that description in the right venue which you have already been advised is not rhelp. I see that you have (probably unsuccessfully) attempted cross-posting to the right venue, r-sig-mac. Cross-posting to multiple r lists is deprecated by the Posting Guide which you should now read.

Then you should subscribe to r-sig-mac using the web interface and only afterwards post to the correct venue: [hidden email]. As always with first time posting you will see your first post held up in the queue for moderation, so don't send any additional queries until your post appears in that list's archive: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/

> Pointers are welcome
> C.
>
> --
> Christian Hoffmann
> Rigiblickstrasse 15b
> CH-8915 Hausen am Albis
> Switzerland
> Telefon +41-(0)44-7640853

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: Where does ' Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C" ' come from? 2

Peter Dalgaard-2

>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9689104/installing-r-on-mac-warning-messages-setting-lc-ctype-failed-using-c,
>>
>> did not help :-(
>
> Sigh, claiming that something "did not help" usually ...does not help. You need a clear unambigous description of everything that was in place and exactly what was being done when the unexpected behavior occurred.

Hm, well, seen worse...

However, some detective works seems required.

C: (a) Can you at this point do the equivalent of the following (in a Terminal window):

Peter-Dalgaards-MacBook-Air:~ pd$ defaults read org.R-project.R force.LANG
en_US.UTF-8

If not, then the "defaults write...." stuff has been entered incorrectly or didn't work for some reason.

-åd

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501