Where is R installed on my Linux?

Mike Wojnowicz
I have successfully installed R on my AWS EC2 r3.8 box running Linux with
>sudo yum install -y R

However, I cannot find R anywhere (which I want for the sake of tar'ing it up and decompressing to make future installations easier.)  For example,

> rpm -ql R

Says there is nothing to show.

Does anyone have any ideas?

-Mike

Re: Where is R installed on my Linux?

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Mike,
Depending upon the flavor of Linux (looks like it's in the RedHat
family) it will usually start by running the command "R" in a
terminal. What does:

which R

say? Then look in the startup file (often in /usr/local/bin) for the
R_HOME directory.

Jim

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Mike Wojnowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have successfully installed R on my AWS EC2 r3.8 box running Linux with
>>sudo yum install -y R
>
> However, I cannot find R anywhere (which I want for the sake of tar'ing it up and decompressing to make future installations easier.)  For example,
>
>> rpm -ql R
>
> Says there is nothing to show.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> -Mike

Re: Where is R installed on my Linux?

Loris Bennett-2
Mike Wojnowicz <[hidden email]> writes:

> I have successfully installed R on my AWS EC2 r3.8 box running Linux with
>>sudo yum install -y R
>
> However, I cannot find R anywhere (which I want for the sake of
> tar'ing it up and decompressing to make future installations easier.)
> For example,
>
>> rpm -ql R
>
> Says there is nothing to show.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> -Mike

If you run

  yum info R

you'll find this description:

  This is a metapackage that provides both core R userspace and
  all R development components.

The metapackage consists of 'r-core' plus various other packages.  These
are the packages that 'rpm' sees.

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universit├Ąt Berlin         Email [hidden email]