Quantcast

Where is gdata?

12

Where is gdata?

satimis
Hi folks,

Win 7 64 bit
R 32 bit

> install.packages("gregmisc")
Installing package(s) into ‘C:\Users\satimiswin764\Documents/R/win-library/2.12’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
also installing the dependency ‘gmodels’

trying URL
'http://cran.ms.unimelb.edu.au/bin/windows/contrib/2.12/gmodels_2.15.0.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 76016 bytes (74 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 74 Kb

trying URL
'http://cran.ms.unimelb.edu.au/bin/windows/contrib/2.12/gregmisc_2.1.1.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 97482 bytes (95 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 95 Kb

package 'gmodels' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package 'gregmisc' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded packages are in
        C:\Users\satimiswin764\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpP3dNfa\downloaded_packages

Installation went through without problem.

> library(gregmisc)

Attaching package: 'gplots'

The following object(s) are masked from 'package:stats':

    lowess

Warning message:

        The `gregmisc' *package* has converted into a *bundle*
        containing four sub-packages: gdata, gtools, gmodels, and gplots.
        Please load these packages directly.

> library(gdata)
> gdata
Error: object 'gdata' not found

> gdata()
Error: could not find function "gdata"

Please advise what mistake I have committed.  TIA

B.R.
Stephen L

Re: Where is gdata?

Liviu Andronic
On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Stephen Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> library(gdata)
>> gdata
> Error: object 'gdata' not found
>
>> gdata()
> Error: could not find function "gdata"
>

> Please advise what mistake I have committed.  TIA

Try
help(package=gdata)

Regards
Liviu

> B.R.
> Stephen L

Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm
Do you know how to write?

Re: Where is gdata?

Spencer Graves-2
Hi, Greg, Stephen, Liviu:

       I tried "install.packages('gregmisc')", which Stephen said he
had.  Then " help(pac=gdata)" seemed to work normally.  However, when I
then tried "library(gdata)", I got an error message from the the
operating system, saying "perl.exe has stopped working".  I cancelled
past that and got a message "gdata: Unable to load perl libaries needed
by read.xls() ... Run the function 'installXLSXsupport()'".  I tried
'installXLSXsupport()' and again perl stopped working.  I quit R and
tried "install.packages('gdata')" again, and it killed perl again.

       Before installing 'gregmisc', I had tried
install.packages('gdata') by itself.  That seemed to work.  Then I
manually removed it and tried 'gregmisc', as Stephen had, and got
problems I don't know how to solve.

       ???
       Thanks,
       Spencer

##############################

 > library(gdata)
gdata: Unable to load perl libaries needed by read.xls()
gdata: to support 'XLX' (Excel 97-2004) files.

gdata: Unable to load perl libaries needed by read.xls()
gdata: to support 'XLSX' (Excel 2007+) files.

gdata: Run the function 'installXLSXsupport()'
gdata: to automatically download and install the perl
gdata: libaries needed to support Excel XLS and XLSX formats.

####################################
 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] gdata_2.8.1

[1] gtools_2.6.2 tools_2.12.0

On 11/28/2010 4:22 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Stephen Liu<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> library(gdata)
>>> gdata
>> Error: object 'gdata' not found
>>
>>> gdata()
>> Error: could not find function "gdata"
>>

>> Please advise what mistake I have committed.  TIA
>>
> Try
> help(package=gdata)
>
> Regards
> Liviu
>

>> B.R.
>> Stephen L

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Operating Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126
ph:  408-655-4567

Re: Where is gdata?

Gabor Grothendieck
On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Spencer Graves
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>      I tried "install.packages('gregmisc')", which Stephen said he had.
>  Then " help(pac=gdata)" seemed to work normally.  However, when I then
> tried "library(gdata)", I got an error message from the the operating
> system, saying "perl.exe has stopped working".  I cancelled past that and
> got a message "gdata: Unable to load perl libaries needed by read.xls() ...
> Run the function 'installXLSXsupport()'".  I tried 'installXLSXsupport()'
> and again perl stopped working.  I quit R and tried
> "install.packages('gdata')" again, and it killed perl again.
>

>      Before installing 'gregmisc', I had tried install.packages('gdata') by
> itself.  That seemed to work.  Then I manually removed it and tried
> 'gregmisc', as Stephen had, and got problems I don't know how to solve.
>

>      ???
>      Thanks,
>      Spencer
>
> ##############################
>
>> library(gdata)
> gdata: Unable to load perl libaries needed by read.xls()
> gdata: to support 'XLX' (Excel 97-2004) files.
>
> gdata: Unable to load perl libaries needed by read.xls()
> gdata: to support 'XLSX' (Excel 2007+) files.
>
> gdata: Run the function 'installXLSXsupport()'
> gdata: to automatically download and install the perl
> gdata: libaries needed to support Excel XLS and XLSX formats.

Read ?installXLSXsupport

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

Re: Where is gdata?

Spencer Graves-2
Hello, All:

       Prof. Ripley suggested I remove RTools/perl from my path.  I did
that leaving Strawberry perl.  Then everything seemed to work
appropriately.

       Thanks to all.
       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Operating Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126
ph:  408-655-4567

Re: Where is gdata?

Spencer Graves-2
Hi, Stephen:

       What operating system do you have?  From the path you cite, I
assume you are using some version of Windows.

       Wikipedia on "perl" says there are two primary version of perl
for Windows"  Strawberry perl, which is free, open source, and
ActivePerl, which is free but not open source.  I've been using
Strawberry perl without any apparent problems due to the version.  When
I removed "~Rtools/perl" from my path, it still had Strawberry perl, and
'installXLSXsupport()' worked with my installation of Strawberry perl,
when it had not worked with "~Rtools/perl".  You can download Strawberry
perl from "http://strawberryperl.com".  However,
RSiteSearch('strawberry perl') produced 0 matches, while
RSiteSearch("ActivePerl") returned 2 matches and RSiteSearch("Active
Perl") found 10 matches.

        After downloading and installing one of these, if
'installXLSXsupport()' still does not work, you need to check the path:
If 'installXLSXsupport()' does not work with Strawberry perl as the
first perl in your path, then you may need to install an appropriate
package from CPAN.  More than that, I cannot answer.  However, if you
download and install one of these two versions of perl and still have
the problem, please report what you've done and they symptoms you get to
this list.  Also, please include "sessionInfo()" with your reply.

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Operating Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126
ph:  408-655-4567

Re: Where is gdata?

Gabor Grothendieck
On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Spencer Graves
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello, All:
>

>      Prof. Ripley suggested I remove RTools/perl from my path.  I did that
> leaving Strawberry perl.  Then everything seemed to work appropriately.

1. If you have the Rtools perl prior to any other perl on your path
then it does not use your path to find perl but rather it checks which
perl executable is associated with the .pl extension on your machine
and uses that.  Thus it should not be necessary to remove rtools from
your path if you have pl associated with perl.

2. If you have multiple versions of perl installed and you want
read.xls to use one which is not first on your path and you don't want
to change your system configuration you can use the perl= argument to
installXLSXsupport and to read.xls to specify the path to the perl.exe
that you do want to  use.

That being said its best not to have Rtools on your path, not only
because of its version of perl but also because it puts a find command
on your path which overrides Windows' own find command.  There is an
Rtools.bat command at http://batchtools.googlecode.com that will
temporarily put Rtools on your path in the current Windows console
session only so that you can normally keep it off your path and only
put it on your path in console sessions that need it.  You simply run
it without arguments, e.g.

Rtools
Rcmd build mypackage
etc.

email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

Re: Where is gdata?

satimis
Hi Spencer,

I don't have RTools installed.  Therefore I can't find RTools/perl

> library(RTools)
Error in library(RTools) : there is no package called 'RTools'

> library(Ecdat)
no complaint

> data()
The datasets on Ecdat are added to the big list.

However
> data(package='Ecdat')
displays the datasets list of Ecdat

B.R.
Stephen L

________________________________

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Stephen Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Spencer,
>
> I don't have RTools installed.  Therefore I can't find RTools/perl
>
>> library(RTools)
> Error in library(RTools) : there is no package called 'RTools'

Rtools is not an R package. Its a collection of UNIX-like windows
software and other software such as perl.   It is used by R package
authors to supply the additional tools that are needed on Windows to
build R packages from source.  If you don't need to build R packages
(that is you are content to use the Windows binaries) then you don't
need Rtools.  Also I don't think this or my other comments have
anything to do with your problem.  My comments were primarily in
response to Spencer's comments.

Regarding your question about gdata,

1. if gdata did not get installed then just do this from within R:

install.packages("gdata")

(or use the Packages | Install Package(s) menu to accomplish same).
If that still does not result in gdata being installed then try a
different mirror.

2. there is no gdata() function in the gdata package so your line
which tries to call it would be expected to return an error even if
gdata were present.

email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

Re: Where is gdata?

Spencer Graves-2
Hi, Stephen:

       RTools is not a standard R package.  It is a collection of
software tools for building R packages.  If you use R much, I highly
recommend you learn about R package development, because I believe doing
so can increase your software development productivity.

       However, for this, you do NOT need RTools.  For now, please
ignore RTools, and install either Strawberry perl or ActivePerl.  I
suggest you go to "http://strawberryperl.com
<http://strawberryperl.com/>" and click on "Download Strawberry Perl
5.12.1.0".  This is the version I have.  Then do the obvious things to
install it.  If it fixed your problem, great.  Otherwise, please report
to this list what you've tried, the error you got, and sessionInfo().

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Operating Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126
ph:  408-655-4567

Re: Where is gdata?

Gabor Grothendieck
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:06 AM, Gabor Grothendieck
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Regarding your question about gdata,
>
> 1. if gdata did not get installed then just do this from within R:
>
> install.packages("gdata")
>
> (or use the Packages | Install Package(s) menu to accomplish same).
> If that still does not result in gdata being installed then try a
> different mirror.
>
> 2. there is no gdata() function in the gdata package so your line
> which tries to call it would be expected to return an error even if
> gdata were present.

3. If you are not sure whether or not you have gdata installed try:

library(gdata)

If that works (i.e. you get no error message) then you have gdata
installed and you can get help like this:

library(help = gdata)

and for each topic listed you can get help like this:

?read.xls

and so on.

email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

Re: Where is gdata?

satimis
Hi Gabor,

> library(gdata)
no complaint

> library(help = gdata)
It works.  Thanks

> ?read.xls
I must run ??read.xls

All the topics I tested must use ??topic_name

B.R.
Stephen L

________________________________

email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

Re: Where is gdata?

Liviu Andronic
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Stephen Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ?read.xls
> I must run ??read.xls

Not if you
> library(gdata)

first. Then
> ?read.xls

should work.

Regards
Liviu

Re: Where is gdata?

Spencer Graves-2
Hi, Liviu:

       Doesn't he need a version of perl installed with a particular
perl package for read.xls to work properly?

       Spencer

On 11/28/2010 10:40 PM, Liviu Andronic wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Stephen Liu<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> ?read.xls
>> I must run ??read.xls
>>
> Not if you
>> library(gdata)
> first. Then
>> ?read.xls
> should work.
>
> Regards
> Liviu

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Operating Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126
ph:  408-655-4567

Re: Where is gdata?

Liviu Andronic
Dear Spencer

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Spencer Graves
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>      Doesn't he need a version of perl installed with a particular perl
> package for read.xls to work properly?

I really don't know. I assume that, if the package was installed and
could be loaded, the object 'read.xls' would  be present in the
environment along with the associated ?read.xls help page. It felt as
if the original poster failed to load the package before trying to
access the help pages. The question didn't pertain to the actual
functionality of read.xls().

Best regards
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm
Do you know how to write?

Re: Where is gdata?

satimis
Hi Liviu,

> Not if you
> library(gdata)
> first. Then
> ?read.xls

> should work.

Yes, I did.

I found something strange here which I can't explain.

Win 7 64bit
R 32/64 bit

Just rebooted Win 7 and R

> library(gdata)
gdata: Unable to locate valid perl interpreter
gdata:
gdata: read.xls() will be unable to read Excel XLS and XLSX files
gdata: unless the 'perl=' argument is used to specify the location of a
gdata: valid perl intrpreter.
gdata:
gdata: (To avoid display of this message in the future, please ensure
gdata: perl is installed and available on the executable search path.)
gdata: Unable to load perl libaries needed by read.xls()
gdata: to support 'XLX' (Excel 97-2004) files.

gdata: Unable to load perl libaries needed by read.xls()
gdata: to support 'XLSX' (Excel 2007+) files.

gdata: Run the function 'installXLSXsupport()'
gdata: to automatically download and install the perl
gdata: libaries needed to support Excel XLS and XLSX formats.

Attaching package: 'gdata'

The following object(s) are masked from 'package:utils':

    object.size

It complains.

> ?read.xls
starting httpd help server ... done

"Read Excel files"

Both 32 and 64 bit R worked.

If there is NO complaint on running;

> library(gdata)

Then
> ?read.xls

can't work.

Perl seems has been installed.  But I can't recall, when and how;

C:\>dir C:\Users\satimiswin764\Documents\R\win-library\2.12\gdata\
11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          perl
11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          R
11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          unitTests
11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          xls

>dir "C:\Users\satimiswin764\My Documents\R\win-library\2.12\gdata\perl"

11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          .
11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          ..
11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          Archive
11/22/2010  10:44 AM               418 install_modules.pl
11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          IO
11/22/2010  10:44 AM             2,710 module_tools.pl
11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          OLE
11/22/2010  10:44 AM             2,019 sheetCount.pl
11/22/2010  10:44 AM             2,019 sheetNames.pl
11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          Spreadsheet
11/22/2010  10:44 AM               550 supportedFormats.pl
11/22/2010  10:44 AM               114 VERSIONS
11/22/2010  10:44 AM             5,512 xls2csv.pl
11/22/2010  10:44 AM             5,512 xls2tab.pl
11/22/2010  10:44 AM             5,512 xls2tsv.pl
               9 File(s)         24,366 bytes
               6 Dir(s)  16,776,032,256 bytes free

B.R.
Stephen L

________________________________

Re: Where is gdata?

Spencer Graves-2
Hi, Stephen:

       The directory "C:\Users\satimiswin764\My
Documents\R\win-library\2.12\gdata\perl" is NOT the perl interpreter but
only perl code in the gdata package for R, invoked by certain R
commands.  You need to install something like "Strawberry perl", as I've
previously stated.

       Spencer

On 11/29/2010 12:44 AM, Stephen Liu wrote:

> [...]
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM<DIR>           unitTests
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM<DIR>           xls
>

>> dir "C:\Users\satimiswin764\My Documents\R\win-library\2.12\gdata\perl"
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM<DIR>           .
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM<DIR>           ..
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM<DIR>           Archive
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM               418 install_modules.pl
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM<DIR>           IO
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM             2,710 module_tools.pl
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM<DIR>           OLE
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM             2,019 sheetCount.pl
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM             2,019 sheetNames.pl
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM<DIR>           Spreadsheet
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM               550 supportedFormats.pl
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM               114 VERSIONS
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM             5,512 xls2csv.pl
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM             5,512 xls2tab.pl
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM             5,512 xls2tsv.pl

Download and install Strawberry perl from "http://strawberryperl.com"

Installation went through without problem.

Start R
> library(gdata)
gdata: read.xls support for 'XLS' (Excel 97-2004) files ENABLED.
gdata: read.xls support for 'XLSX' (Excel 2007+) files ENABLED.
Attaching package: 'gdata'
The following object(s) are masked from 'package:utils':
    object.size

> ?read.xls
starts "Read Excel files".  Thanks

B.R.
Stephen L

________________________________

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 3:44 AM, Stephen Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Liviu,
>
>> Not if you
>> library(gdata)
>> first. Then
>> ?read.xls
>
>> should work.
>
> Yes, I did.
>

> I found something strange here which I can't explain.
>
> Win 7 64bit
> R 32/64 bit
>
> Just rebooted Win 7 and R
>
>> library(gdata)
> gdata: Unable to locate valid perl interpreter
> gdata:
> gdata: read.xls() will be unable to read Excel XLS and XLSX files
> gdata: unless the 'perl=' argument is used to specify the location of a
> gdata: valid perl intrpreter.
> gdata:
> gdata: (To avoid display of this message in the future, please ensure
> gdata: perl is installed and available on the executable search path.)
> gdata: Unable to load perl libaries needed by read.xls()
> gdata: to support 'XLX' (Excel 97-2004) files.
>
> gdata: Unable to load perl libaries needed by read.xls()
> gdata: to support 'XLSX' (Excel 2007+) files.
>
> gdata: Run the function 'installXLSXsupport()'
> gdata: to automatically download and install the perl
> gdata: libaries needed to support Excel XLS and XLSX formats.
>
> Attaching package: 'gdata'
>
> The following object(s) are masked from 'package:utils':
>
>     object.size

This is just a message that it can't find perl.  If you don't need to
use read.xls then you don't need perl so you can  ignore the message.
If you do need to use read.xls then install perl and once you have
done that then run installXLSXsupport().

> It complains.
>

>> ?read.xls
> starting httpd help server ... done
>
> "Read Excel files"
>

> Both 32 and 64 bit R worked.
>

> If there is NO complaint on running;
>
>> library(gdata)
>
> Then
>> ?read.xls
>
> can't work.

Can you clarify when ?read.xls works for you and when it does not?

> Perl seems has been installed.  But I can't recall, when and how;
>
> C:\>dir C:\Users\satimiswin764\Documents\R\win-library\2.12\gdata\
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          perl
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          R
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          unitTests
> 11/22/2010  10:44 AM    <DIR>          xls

The gdata\perl folder contains perl libraries that come with gdata.
Perl itself is not distributed with gdata and you don't need perl at
all to use gdata except for read.xls and related functions.

My understanding is that this question has nothing to do with perl nor
with read.xls and that the problem is that you seem to be able to run
this:

library(gdata)
?read.xls

and sometimes it works and at other times it does not work.  Is that
right?  Does it occur with any other package?  How about removing
gdata and reinstalling it?

remove.packages("gdata")
... exit R and check if gdata has been removed ...
... restart R ...
install.packages("gdata")

email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

Re: Where is gdata?

satimis
Hi Gabor,

- snip -
..
> > The following object(s) are masked from 'package:utils':
>
> >:     object.size
>This is just a message that it can't find perl.  If you don't need to
> use read.xls then you don't need perl so you can  ignore the message.
> If you do need to use read.xls then install perl and once you have
> done that then run installXLSXsupport().

After having installed Strawberry perl the warning disappears.

library(gdata)
?read.xls
works starting "Read Excel files"

I haven't run installXLSXsupport() afterwards.

Just did it without success.

> installXLSXsupport()
Error: could not find function "installXLSXsupport"

Couldn't proceed further.

I can't resolve follows;

1)
library(AER)
data()
starts the datasets of AER

2)
library(gdata)
data()
gdata is added to the list of master dataset package ?

B.R.
Stephen L

email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

12