Quantcast

Where is the tcltk package?

12

Where is the tcltk package?

Rolf Turner

Perhaps I'm being even thicker than usual, but I can't find
the tcltk package on CRAN.  There is a tcltk2 package, which says
that it is a collection of supplements to tcltk, but I cannot
see a just-plain tcltk anywhere.

If I try to install tcltk2 (from the Linux command line, or using
install.packages() in R) it complains that it needs tcltk.

If I try to install tcltk using install.packages() it tells me that
this package is not available.

What is going on?

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner

Re: Where is the tcltk package?

Erik Iverson-3
Rolf,

What does

 > capabilities("tcltk")

return?

On 04/07/2011 07:15 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:

> Perhaps I'm being even thicker than usual, but I can't find
> the tcltk package on CRAN. There is a tcltk2 package, which says
> that it is a collection of supplements to tcltk, but I cannot
> see a just-plain tcltk anywhere.
>
> If I try to install tcltk2 (from the Linux command line, or using
> install.packages() in R) it complains that it needs tcltk.
>
> If I try to install tcltk using install.packages() it tells me that
> this package is not available.
>
> What is going on?
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner

Re: Where is the tcltk package?

Gabor Grothendieck
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:15 PM, Rolf Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps I'm being even thicker than usual, but I can't find
> the tcltk package on CRAN.  There is a tcltk2 package, which says
> that it is a collection of supplements to tcltk, but I cannot
> see a just-plain tcltk anywhere.
>
> If I try to install tcltk2 (from the Linux command line, or using
> install.packages() in R) it complains that it needs tcltk.
>
> If I try to install tcltk using install.packages() it tells me that
> this package is not available.
>
> What is going on?

In most distributions of R tcltk is already included.  Try

library(tcltk)

and see if you get it.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

Re: Where is the tcltk package?

Steven McKinney
Searching for tcltk on the BioConductor site yields

CRAN - Package tcltk2 - http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/tcltk2/
    CRAN - Package tcltk2 tcltk2: Tcl/Tk Additions A series of additional Tcl commands and Tk widgets with style and various functions (under Windows: DDE exchange, access to the registry

If you install tcltk2, is tcltk then available?

Steven McKinney

On 08/04/11 12:22, Erik Iverson wrote:
> Rolf,
>
> What does
>
>   >  capabilities("tcltk")
>
> return?

FALSE

On 08/04/11 12:30, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:15 PM, Rolf Turner<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Perhaps I'm being even thicker than usual, but I can't find
>> the tcltk package on CRAN.  There is a tcltk2 package, which says
>> that it is a collection of supplements to tcltk, but I cannot
>> see a just-plain tcltk anywhere.
>>
>> If I try to install tcltk2 (from the Linux command line, or using
>> install.packages() in R) it complains that it needs tcltk.
>>
>> If I try to install tcltk using install.packages() it tells me that
>> this package is not available.
>>
>> What is going on?
>>
> In most distributions of R tcltk is already included.  Try
>
> library(tcltk)
>
> and see if you get it.
I get:
> > library(tcltk)
> Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
>   Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
> Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'

My session info is:

> > sessionInfo()
> R version 2.12.2 (2011-02-25)
> Platform: i686-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)
>
> locale:
>  [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
>  [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
>  [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
>  [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
>  [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] datasets  utils     stats     graphics  grDevices methods   base
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] misc_0.0-13     gtools_2.6.2    spatstat_1.21-7 deldir_0.0-13
> [5] mgcv_1.7-3      fortunes_1.4-0  MASS_7.3-11

> [1] grid_2.12.2        lattice_0.19-17    Matrix_0.999375-46 nlme_3.1-98

     cheers,

         Rolf

On 08/04/11 12:31, Steven McKinney wrote:
> Searching for tcltk on the BioConductor site yields
>
> CRAN - Package tcltk2 - http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/tcltk2/
>      CRAN - Package tcltk2 tcltk2: Tcl/Tk Additions A series of additional Tcl commands and Tk widgets with style and various functions (under Windows: DDE exchange, access to the registry
>
> If you install tcltk2, is tcltk then available?

I ***can't*** install tcltk2, as I said in my original post.  It
requires that tcltk be available.

On 04/07/2011 07:32 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:

> On 08/04/11 12:22, Erik Iverson wrote:
>> Rolf,
>>
>> What does
>>
>> > capabilities("tcltk")
>>
>> return?
>
> FALSE

I believe R needs to be compiled with tcltk support for the package to work. Do
you compile your own version or use a package manager (e.g., on Ubuntu)?  If you
have TCL/TK installed in a "standard" location, all should be well I think.

See:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Tcl_002fTk

On my Ubuntu machine, I have both the "tcl" and the "tk" packages installed
through Synaptic (the package manager).

HTH,
Erik

> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner

Re: Where is the tcltk package?

Steven McKinney
D'oh!

Sorry for that noise.

You also need bwidget and Tktable installed on your linux system,
so you may need to reinstall R after getting bwidget and other
tcl/tk bits installed.  Are you using a tool such as "yum" to install
linux software, or installing yourself from source or binaries?

Steven McKinney

On 08/04/11 12:31, Steven McKinney wrote:
> Searching for tcltk on the BioConductor site yields
>
> CRAN - Package tcltk2 - http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/tcltk2/
>      CRAN - Package tcltk2 tcltk2: Tcl/Tk Additions A series of additional Tcl commands and Tk widgets with style and various functions (under Windows: DDE exchange, access to the registry
>
> If you install tcltk2, is tcltk then available?

I ***can't*** install tcltk2, as I said in my original post.  It
requires that tcltk be available.

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner

Re: Where is the tcltk package?

plangfelder
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Rolf Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/04/11 12:22, Erik Iverson wrote:
>>
>> Rolf,
>>
>> What does
>>
>>  >  capabilities("tcltk")
>>
>> return?
>
> FALSE

As others have indicated, your R was compiled without Tcl/Tk support.
Most likely because Tcl/Tk was/is not installed on your system, or
perhaps it is in a non-standard location where the configure script
cannot find it.

Peter

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Rolf Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/04/11 12:22, Erik Iverson wrote:
>>
>> Rolf,
>>
>> What does
>>
>>  >  capabilities("tcltk")
>>
>> return?
>
> FALSE
>
>    cheers,

Try re-installng R using these instructions:

http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html

email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

On 08/04/11 12:40, Erik Iverson wrote:

> On 04/07/2011 07:32 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:
>> On 08/04/11 12:22, Erik Iverson wrote:
>>> Rolf,
>>>
>>> What does

>>> return?
>> FALSE
> I believe R needs to be compiled with tcltk support for the package to work. Do
> you compile your own version or use a package manager (e.g., on Ubuntu)?  If you
> have TCL/TK installed in a "standard" location, all should be well I think.

I installed R from source; couldn't figure out how to get a Ubuntu binary.
I forget the details (it was a while ago) but nothing seemed to work.

I think I have the tcl/tk stuff in a ``standard location'':

     /usr/lib/libtcl8.4.so.0
     /usr/lib/libtcl8.5.so.0
     /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0
     /usr/lib/libtk8.5.so.0
     /usr/share/tcltk/tcl8.4
     /usr/share/tcltk/tcl8.5
     /usr/share/tcltk/tk8.4
     /usr/share/tcltk/tk8.5
> See:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Tcl_002fTk
>
> On my Ubuntu machine, I have both the "tcl" and the "tk" packages installed
> through Synaptic (the package manager).
I don't grok ``Synaptic''.  I have installed various stuff using
``sudo apt-get install ....'' --- that's about as far as my capabilities
extend.

On 04/07/2011 07:55 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:

> On 08/04/11 12:40, Erik Iverson wrote:

>>> FALSE
>> I believe R needs to be compiled with tcltk support for the package to work. Do
>> you compile your own version or use a package manager (e.g., on Ubuntu)? If you
>> have TCL/TK installed in a "standard" location, all should be well I think.
>
> I installed R from source; couldn't figure out how to get a Ubuntu binary.
> I forget the details (it was a while ago) but nothing seemed to work.
>
> I think I have the tcl/tk stuff in a ``standard location'':
<snip>

>> On my Ubuntu machine, I have both the "tcl" and the "tk" packages installed
>> through Synaptic (the package manager).
> I don't grok ``Synaptic''. I have installed various stuff using
> ``sudo apt-get install ....'' --- that's about as far as my capabilities extend.

Synaptic is just a front end to "sudo apt-get" type installs, so same thing. You
probably need the tcl-dev and tk-dev (or similarly named) for your version of
tcltk to compile.  Those contain the development headers needed to compile
programs against the tcltk library.  You can look in the config.log file created
by the R "configure" process and grep for "tcl" to see what might have gone
wrong, but my guess is tcl.h or something like that couldn't be found.

So once you install those dev packages, you could rebuild R and check that tcltk
will work, the results of "configure" should tell you that before you even compile.

Or just install the Ubuntu packages per:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

assuming that's your distro.

HTH,
erik

Re: Where is the tcltk package?

Rolf Turner

In view of various bits of advice I've received I tried:

(1) sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev

The result:

> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> r-base is already the newest version.
> r-base-dev is already the newest version.
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
>   linux-headers-2.6.32-28-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-28
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.

No improvement in the situation; capabilities("tcltk") still returns FALSE.

(2) re-installing R from source, first doing

     ./configure --with-tcltk

Again no improvement; capabilities("tcltk") still returns FALSE.

WTF?  Why do these things always happen to ***me***? :-)

On 08/04/11 13:23, Erik Iverson wrote:

> On 04/07/2011 07:55 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:

>>> I believe R needs to be compiled with tcltk support for the package to work. Do
>>> you compile your own version or use a package manager (e.g., on Ubuntu)? If you
>>> have TCL/TK installed in a "standard" location, all should be well I think.
>> I installed R from source; couldn't figure out how to get a Ubuntu binary.
>> I forget the details (it was a while ago) but nothing seemed to work.
>>
>> I think I have the tcl/tk stuff in a ``standard location'':
> <snip>
>
>>> On my Ubuntu machine, I have both the "tcl" and the "tk" packages installed
>>> through Synaptic (the package manager).
>> I don't grok ``Synaptic''. I have installed various stuff using
>> ``sudo apt-get install ....'' --- that's about as far as my capabilities extend.
> Synaptic is just a front end to "sudo apt-get" type installs, so same thing. You
> probably need the tcl-dev and tk-dev (or similarly named) for your version of
> tcltk to compile.  Those contain the development headers needed to compile
> programs against the tcltk library.  You can look in the config.log file created
> by the R "configure" process and grep for "tcl" to see what might have gone
> wrong, but my guess is tcl.h or something like that couldn't be found.
>
> So once you install those dev packages, you could rebuild R and check that tcltk
> will work, the results of "configure" should tell you that before you even compile.
     So how the <expletive deleted> do I ``install those dev packages''?
> Or just install the Ubuntu packages per:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
>
> assuming that's your distro.

     I don't follow this; went to that URL; nothing there about tcltk.

         cheers,

             Rolf Turner

Re: Where is the tcltk package?

Rolf Turner
On 08/04/11 13:23, Erik Iverson wrote:

<SNIP>
> You probably need the tcl-dev and tk-dev (or similarly named) for your version of
> tcltk to compile.  Those contain the development headers needed to compile
> programs against the tcltk library.  You can look in the config.log file created
> by the R "configure" process and grep for "tcl" to see what might have gone
> wrong, but my guess is tcl.h or something like that couldn't be found.
<SNIP>

Grep/groping around I found:

> configure:31311: checking for tclConfig.sh
> configure:31344: result: no
> configure:31353: checking for tclConfig.sh in library (sub)directories
> configure:31374: result: no
> configure:31386: checking for tkConfig.sh
> configure:31419: result: no
> configure:31428: checking for tkConfig.sh in library (sub)directories
> configure:31449: result: no
> configure:31547: checking for tcl.h
> conftest.c:201:17: error: tcl.h: No such file or directory
> configure:31571: result: no

So your conjecture would appear to be spot on.  But what do I ***do***
about it?

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner

Re: Where is the tcltk package?

Phil Spector
Rolf -
    In order for R to build with tcltk support, the tcl/tk development
packages need to be available when R is configured.  This command

apt-get install tcl8.5-dev tk8.5-dev

will install the necessary development packages, but you'll need to
reconfigure and rebuild R in order to get tcltk support,
                                                  - Phil

On 08/04/11 13:49, Phil Spector wrote:
> Rolf -
>      In order for R to build with tcltk support, the tcl/tk development
> packages need to be available when R is configured.  This command
>
> apt-get install tcl8.5-dev tk8.5-dev
>
> will install the necessary development packages, but you'll need to
> reconfigure and rebuild R in order to get tcltk support,

Ah-ha!  I think that is the answer I was looking for.

Thanks Phil.

     cheers,

         Rolf

Re: Where is the tcltk package? --- Summary

Rolf Turner

Summary of what I've learned:

(1) The tcltk package ***comes with R***; one does not install it from CRAN.

(2) In order for it to work, you need to have the *development* version of
tcltk installed on your system.

(3) Under Ubuntu Linux you can obtain the aforesaid development version by:

     sudo apt-get install tcl8.5-dev tk8.5-dev

(I still don't know what one does if that number 8.5 changes --- as new
releases come about.  How does one find out the number of the latest
release of tcl/tk?)

I hope that this may be of use to someone in the future.

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner

P. S.  Another thing I learned over the course of this inquiry is that I can
get the binary of R for Ubuntu (and save a bit of time and effort over
the process of installing from source) via

     sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev

         R. T.

Re: Where is the tcltk package? --- Summary

Prof Brian Ripley
On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Rolf Turner wrote:

> Summary of what I've learned:
>
> (1) The tcltk package ***comes with R***; one does not install it from CRAN.
>
> (2) In order for it to work, you need to have the *development* version of
> tcltk installed on your system.
>
> (3) Under Ubuntu Linux you can obtain the aforesaid development version by:
>
>    sudo apt-get install tcl8.5-dev tk8.5-dev
>
> (I still don't know what one does if that number 8.5 changes --- as new
> releases come about.  How does one find out the number of the latest
> release of tcl/tk?)

Happens about once a decade, so nothing much to worry about.  But the
short answer is the install the -dev packages matching those packages
you already have installed.

[Tcl/Tk 8.6 is in beta, and has had no progress for 18 months.]

> I hope that this may be of use to someone in the future.

Following the current manual is likely to be more useful to them.
Let's see: Appendix A:

Remember that some package management systems (such as RPM and deb)
make a distinction between the user version of a package and the
development version. The latter usually has the same name but with the
extension `-devel' or `-dev': you need both versions installed.

The tcltk package needs Tcl/Tk >= 8.4 installed: the sources are
available at http://www.tcl.tk/.

12