Who uses R?

Eleni Rapsomaniki
Dear R users,

I have started work in a Statistics government department and I am trying to
convince my bosses to install R on our computers (I can't do proper stats in
Excel!!). They asked me to prove that this is a widely used software (and not
just another free-source, bug infected toy I found on the web!) by suggesting
other big organisations that use it. Are you aware of any reputable places
(academic or not) that use R? (e.g. maybe you work for them)

I would be really grateful for any advice on this. Also suggestions on arguments
I could use to persuade them that R is so much better than Excel would be very
much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Eleni Rapsomaniki

Re: Who uses R?

Gesmann, Markus
Dear Eleni,

Maybe the participants of the useR conferences are a good start, see
e.g.
http://www.r-project.org/useR-2006/participants.html

Kind regards,

Markus Gesmann
FPMA
Lloyd's Market Analysis
Lloyd's * One Lime Street * London * EC3M 7HA
Telephone +44 (0)20 7327 6472
Fax       +44 (0)20 7327 5718
http://www.lloyds.com

SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT

Re: Who uses R?

Gustaf Rydevik
On 9/25/07, Eleni Rapsomaniki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I have started work in a Statistics government department and I am trying to
> convince my bosses to install R on our computers (I can't do proper stats in
> Excel!!). They asked me to prove that this is a widely used software (and not
> just another free-source, bug infected toy I found on the web!) by suggesting
> other big organisations that use it. Are you aware of any reputable places
> (academic or not) that use R? (e.g. maybe you work for them)
>
> I would be really grateful for any advice on this. Also suggestions on arguments
> I could use to persuade them that R is so much better than Excel would be very
> much appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks
> Eleni Rapsomaniki

The statistics section of the Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease
Control, where I work, use R about 70% of the time.
The MEB (medical epidemiology and biostatistics) department at
Karolinska Institutet, the nordic countries premiere medical
university, are also heavy R-users.

Best,

Gustaf

--
Gustaf Rydevik, M.Sci.
tel: +46(0)703 051 451

Re: Who uses R?

Simon Blomberg-4
See the "Members and Donors" section on the left-hand side of the R web
site.

Cheers,

Simon.

Note to self: Become a supporting member.

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 11:59 +0100, Gesmann, Markus wrote:

> Dear Eleni,
>
> Maybe the participants of the useR conferences are a good start, see
> e.g.
> http://www.r-project.org/useR-2006/participants.html
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Markus Gesmann
> FPMA
> Lloyd's Market Analysis
> Lloyd's * One Lime Street * London * EC3M 7HA
> Telephone +44 (0)20 7327 6472
> Fax       +44 (0)20 7327 5718
> http://www.lloyds.com
>
> SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.

Re: Who uses R?

Patrick Burns
Just speaking of the field I'm most familiar with, there
are now users of R in many of the largest financial
companies in the world.

http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/spreadsheet_addiction.html

is one place to look for arguments against Excel.
This was just updated to include an amusing numerical
bug in Excel 2007. Guess what 850 * 77.1 equals.

Patrick Burns
[hidden email]
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com

Eleni Rapsomaniki wrote:

>Dear R users,
>
>I have started work in a Statistics government department and I am trying to
>convince my bosses to install R on our computers (I can't do proper stats in
>Excel!!). They asked me to prove that this is a widely used software (and not
>just another free-source, bug infected toy I found on the web!) by suggesting
>other big organisations that use it. Are you aware of any reputable places
>(academic or not) that use R? (e.g. maybe you work for them)
>
>I would be really grateful for any advice on this. Also suggestions on arguments
>I could use to persuade them that R is so much better than Excel would be very
>much appreciated.
>
>Many Thanks
>Eleni Rapsomaniki

Re: Who uses R?

Prof Brian Ripley
That's a good answer, but the usage is very much wider.

As Pat Burns has just replied while I was composing this, many (maybe
most) major financial institutions use R, although they may not want that
to be taken as an endorsement.  Similarly for pharmaceuticals.

I would have thought a very convincing argument would be to point out all
the books which have been published that are about or depend on R.

Eleni's email address is the UK, so perhaps the 'Statistics government
department' is.  I hope not (as they should not need convincing), but
'University of Oxford' should suffice ....

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Simon Blomberg wrote:

> See the "Members and Donors" section on the left-hand side of the R web
> site.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.
>
> Note to self: Become a supporting member.
>
> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 11:59 +0100, Gesmann, Markus wrote:
>> Dear Eleni,
>>
>> Maybe the participants of the useR conferences are a good start, see
>> e.g.
>> http://www.r-project.org/useR-2006/participants.html
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Markus Gesmann
>> FPMA
>> Lloyd's Market Analysis
>> Lloyd's * One Lime Street * London * EC3M 7HA
>> Telephone +44 (0)20 7327 6472
>> Fax       +44 (0)20 7327 5718
>> http://www.lloyds.com
>>
>> SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT

Re: Who uses R?

wl2776
You could provide examples of errors, which Excel gives in computations, in comparison to R.
Excel could not calculate inverse matrix for my task, so I was to find something better, and I've found R (it was version 1.2, as far as I remember).

My another problem was scripting (R is more convenient, but harder to learn).

You can also notice the publication quality graphics.

e.rapsomaniki wrote
Dear R users,

I have started work in a Statistics government department and I am trying to
convince my bosses to install R on our computers (I can't do proper stats in
Excel!!). They asked me to prove that this is a widely used software (and not
just another free-source, bug infected toy I found on the web!) by suggesting
other big organisations that use it. Are you aware of any reputable places
(academic or not) that use R? (e.g. maybe you work for them)

I would be really grateful for any advice on this. Also suggestions on arguments
I could use to persuade them that R is so much better than Excel would be very
much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Eleni Rapsomaniki

Re: Who uses R?

Ted.Harding-2
On 25-Sep-07 10:46:17, Eleni Rapsomaniki wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I have started work in a Statistics government department
> and I am trying to convince my bosses to install R on our
> computers (I can't do proper stats in Excel!!). They asked
> me to prove that this is a widely used software (and not
> just another free-source, bug infected toy I found on the
> web!) by suggesting other big organisations that use it.
> Are you aware of any reputable places (academic or not)
> that use R? (e.g. maybe you work for them)
>
> I would be really grateful for any advice on this. Also
> suggestions on arguments I could use to persuade them that
> R is so much better than Excel would be very much appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks
> Eleni Rapsomaniki

Dear Eleni,

You deserve all the support we can give you!

As well as the many other cogent suggestions you will get
(and I hope there will be plenty of citations of articles
published in prestigious journals), the following may also
be helpful:

Pat Altham (now retired) developed extensive teaching (and
other) materials in R at the Cambridge University Statistical
Laboratory. From her personal web page:

  "Some of the computer languages I have had to try to
   learn since graduating in 1964: Cambridge autocode,
   algol, phoenix, machine-code, Fortran, BBC-Basic,
   GLIM, GENSTAT, Linux, S-Plus and finally (probably
   the best so far!) R."

See http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~pat/ for more details
and for links to her R material.

Good luck!
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[hidden email]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 25-Sep-07                                       Time: 12:40:36

Re: Who uses R?

Ted.Harding-2
On 25-Sep-07 11:11:44, Patrick Burns wrote:
> Just speaking of the field I'm most familiar with, there
> are now users of R in many of the largest financial
> companies in the world.
>
> http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/spreadsheet_addiction.html
>
> is one place to look for arguments against Excel.
> This was just updated to include an amusing numerical
> bug in Excel 2007. Guess what 850 * 77.1 equals.

What a nasty little puzzle to set, Patrick! I had to turn
to OpenOffice Calc, which told me that the answer is 65535.
Is that right, Patrick? Should I check it on Excel?

Best wishes,

Date: 25-Sep-07                                       Time: 12:45:11

Re: Who uses R?

Thomas Adams
Eleni,

FWIW, there are a number of us in the U.S. NOAA/National Weather Service
and at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) (who wrote
the 'Verification' package) who use R for verification of meteorological
and hydrologic forecasts, aiding in the calibration of distributed
hydrologic models, and in the analysis of radar estimated precipitation
biases, and more…

Regards,
Tom

Eleni Rapsomaniki wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I have started work in a Statistics government department and I am trying to
> convince my bosses to install R on our computers (I can't do proper stats in
> Excel!!). They asked me to prove that this is a widely used software (and not
> just another free-source, bug infected toy I found on the web!) by suggesting
> other big organisations that use it. Are you aware of any reputable places
> (academic or not) that use R? (e.g. maybe you work for them)
>
> I would be really grateful for any advice on this. Also suggestions on arguments
> I could use to persuade them that R is so much better than Excel would be very
> much appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks
> Eleni Rapsomaniki

Thomas E Adams
National Weather Service
Ohio River Forecast Center
1901 South State Route 134
Wilmington, OH 45177

EMAIL: [hidden email]

VOICE: 937-383-0528
FAX: 937-383-0033

Re: Who uses R?

John Kane-2

--- Eleni Rapsomaniki
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear R users,
>
> I have started work in a Statistics government
> department and I am trying to
> convince my bosses to install R on our computers (I
> can't do proper stats in
> Excel!!).
> I would be really grateful for any advice on this.
> Also suggestions on arguments
> I could use to persuade them that R is so much
> better than Excel would be very
> much appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks
> Eleni Rapsomaniki

Here are some of the arguments for not using Excel (&
other spread sheets) for statistical analysis.

Problems With Using Microsoft Excel for Statistics
 Microsoft Excel for Statistics
http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jcryer/JSMTalk2001.pdf

Spread sheet addiction
http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/spreadsheet_addiction.html
Using Excel for survey analysis ( by J. Cryer)
http://www.audiencedialogue.org/excel1.html
Is Microsoft Excel an Adequate Statistics Package?
http://www.practicalstats.com/Pages/excelstats.html

Use of Excel for Statistical Analysis
http://www.agresearch.co.nz/Science/Statistics/exceluse1.htm

Should Microsoft Excel Software Be Used For
Statistical Analysis Or Graphics? ( J. Cryer)
http://gcrc.ucsd.edu/biostatistics/Excel.pdf

Statistical analysis using Microsoft Excel
http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~jsimonof/classes/1305/pdf/excelreg.pdf

Statistical flaws in Excel
http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/~nhunt/pottel.pdf

NOTE X: USE OF EXCEL IN STATISTICS COURSES AND
LABORATORIES - SOME PROS AND CONS
http://www.daheiser.info/excel/notes/notex.pdf

Using Excel for Statistics :Tips and Warnings
http://www.reading.ac.uk/ssc/publications/guides/xfs.pdf

Doing statistics with a speadsheet -Perhaps not a good
idea? (J. Kane)
http://groups.google.ca/group/sci.stat.edu/browse_thread/thread/b2e6def39c6b8ef4/1f6bbe4e398a1e0d?q=John+Kane+Excel&rnum=1#1f6bbe4e398a1e0d

Re: Who uses R?

On 9/25/2007 7:45 AM, (Ted Harding) wrote:

> On 25-Sep-07 11:11:44, Patrick Burns wrote:
>> Just speaking of the field I'm most familiar with, there
>> are now users of R in many of the largest financial
>> companies in the world.
>>
>> http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/spreadsheet_addiction.html
>>
>> is one place to look for arguments against Excel.
>> This was just updated to include an amusing numerical
>> bug in Excel 2007. Guess what 850 * 77.1 equals.
>
> What a nasty little puzzle to set, Patrick! I had to turn
> to OpenOffice Calc, which told me that the answer is 65535.
> Is that right, Patrick? Should I check it on Excel?

Since Excel is the government approved gold standard, you should.  OO
Calc got it wrong.  The correct Excel answer is 100000.  (Only in 2007;
Office 97 and 2003 had the same bug as OO Calc, and give 65535.)

Re: Who uses R?

Ted.Harding-2
On 25-Sep-07 12:34:47, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 9/25/2007 7:45 AM, (Ted Harding) wrote:
>> On 25-Sep-07 11:11:44, Patrick Burns wrote:
>>> Just speaking of the field I'm most familiar with, there
>>> are now users of R in many of the largest financial
>>> companies in the world.
>>>
>>> http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/spreadsheet_addiction.html
>>>
>>> is one place to look for arguments against Excel.
>>> This was just updated to include an amusing numerical
>>> bug in Excel 2007. Guess what 850 * 77.1 equals.
>>
>> What a nasty little puzzle to set, Patrick! I had to turn
>> to OpenOffice Calc, which told me that the answer is 65535.
>> Is that right, Patrick? Should I check it on Excel?
>
> Since Excel is the government approved gold standard, you should.
> OO Calc got it wrong.  The correct Excel answer is 100000.
> (Only in 2007; Office 97 and 2003 had the same bug as OO Calc,
> and give 65535.)
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Thanks, Duncan! It's good to be sure! Sadly, this has shaken
my faith in R. But now I know where to turn.

Date: 25-Sep-07                                       Time: 13:51:00

Re: Who uses R?

Daniel Malter
Hi, although this is a guess, I would dare to say that it is probably used
in at least some schools/departments of any research university. Yet,
universities/schools often have a plethora
of statistical softwares available (in our school, for instance, SAS, Stata,
SPSS, S-Plus) so it is not THE only statistical software. But R is one of
them and especially the guys at the forefront of statistical modeling are
using it because of its flexibility in programming.

Cheers,
Daniel

University of Maryland

-------------------------
cuncta stricte discussurus
-------------------------

(Ted Harding) wrote:

>On 25-Sep-07 12:34:47, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>>>What a nasty little puzzle to set, Patrick! I had to turn
>>>to OpenOffice Calc, which told me that the answer is 65535.
>>>Is that right, Patrick? Should I check it on Excel?
>>>

>>Since Excel is the government approved gold standard, you should.
>>OO Calc got it wrong.  The correct Excel answer is 100000.
>>(Only in 2007; Office 97 and 2003 had the same bug as OO Calc,
>>and give 65535.)
>>
>>Duncan Murdoch
>>

>Thanks, Duncan! It's good to be sure! Sadly, this has shaken
>my faith in R. But now I know where to turn.
>Best wishes,
>Ted.

Sadly I'm deprived of Excel 2007 myself, but apparently
this discussion so far doesn't fully acknowledge Excel's
innovation in quantum computing. It seems that both 100,000
and 65,535 are possible answers, which one you get depends
on which slit is open at the moment.

Pat

>E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[hidden email]>
>Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
>Date: 25-Sep-07                                       Time: 13:51:00

Re: Who uses R?

Bjørn-Helge Mevik
(Ted Harding) wrote:

> Pat Altham (now retired) developed extensive teaching (and
> other) materials in R at the Cambridge University Statistical
> Laboratory. From her personal web page:
>
>   "Some of the computer languages I have had to try to
>    learn since graduating in 1964: Cambridge autocode,
>    algol, phoenix, machine-code, Fortran, BBC-Basic,
>    GLIM, GENSTAT, Linux, S-Plus and finally (probably
>    the best so far!) R."

Well, calling Linux a computer language will probably not add too much
credibility to the quote(r). :-)

--
Bjørn-Helge Mevik

Re: Who uses R?

Gabor Grothendieck
As has been pointed out on the net its a display problem
and Excel's internal value is correct.  We can check this
by creating an Excel 2007 spreadsheet with
A1 = A2-1  gives 65534
A2 =850 * 77.1 gives 100000
A3 = A2+1 gives 100001
A4 = A2+2 gives 65537

and then running this code from R on the spreadsheet
to examine the internal values that Excel has stored:

library(RDCOMClient)
xls <- COMCreate("Excel.Application")
xls[["Workbooks"]]$Open("C:\\tmp2\\badcalc.xlsx")
rng <- xls[["ActiveSheet"]]$Range("A1:A4")
x <- rng[["Value"]]

When I run that I get this showing the internal
values are correct:

> xls <- COMCreate("Excel.Application")
> xls[["Workbooks"]]$Open("C:\\tmp2\\badcalc.xlsx")
An object of class "COMIDispatch"
Slot "ref":
<pointer: 0x001e7b94>

> rng <- xls[["ActiveSheet"]]$Range("A1:A4")
> x <- rng[["Value"]]
[[1]]
[1] 65534

[1] 65535