Why lmer() is not working, altough lme4 is installed?

Why lmer() is not working, altough lme4 is installed?

Petar Milin
I have installed lme4 library, but when I try something with lmer()
function, I receive error message. On the other hand, I can use lme()
function from the same library. Are those two the very same function or
not? I am a bit confused.

I am using:
$platform: "i386-pc-linux-gnu"
$arch: "i386"
$os: "linux-gnu"
$system: "i386, linux-gnu"

$major: "2"
$minor: "0.1"
$year: "2004"
$month: "11"
$day: "15"

Sincerely,
Petar Milin
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
University of Novi Sad
Serbia and Montenegro

Re: Why lmer() is not working, altough lme4 is installed?

Uwe Ligges
Petar Milin wrote:

> I have installed lme4 library, but when I try something with lmer()
> function, I receive error message. On the other hand, I can use lme()
> function from the same library. Are those two the very same function or
> not? I am a bit confused.

1. lme4 is a *package*, not a library
2. a function lme() is not part of recent versions of lme4. You told us
you are using an ancient version of R, but nothing about the version of
lme4 (which is porbably outdated as well, since new versions won't work
on such an ancient version of R, I believe).
3. Why do you conceal the error message of lmer()?
Please read the posting guide and send information that is helpful for
the helpers to help.

Uwe Ligges

> I am using:
> $platform: "i386-pc-linux-gnu"
> $arch: "i386"
> $os: "linux-gnu"
> $system: "i386, linux-gnu"
>
> $major: "2"
> $minor: "0.1"
> $year: "2004"
> $month: "11"
> $day: "15"
>
> Sincerely,
> Petar Milin
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Psychology
> University of Novi Sad
> Serbia and Montenegro

Re: Why lmer() is not working, altough lme4 is installed?

Henric Nilsson

On On, 2005-12-21, 12:51, Petar Milin skrev:

> I have installed lme4 library, but when I try something with lmer()
> function, I receive error message. On the other hand, I can use lme()
> function from the same library. Are those two the very same function or
> not? I am a bit confused.

At least in recent versions of the lme4 package there's no `lme' function,
and in fact there's no fitting functions for (G)LMMs whatsoever. These
have been transfered to the Matrix package during the development process
-- the function you're looking for is called `lmer'.

>From below, your R installation is seriously outdated. Matrix need R >=
2.2.0, so you must update (which is a good idea, anyway!).

HTH,
Henric