Width of a text

Bogaso
Hi,

In HTML there is a way to measure the width of a Text before printing it on
screen as in https://www.w3schools.com/tags/canvas_measuretext.asp

In R we have nchar() function which just measures the number of letters in
a Text, but I wonder if we can measure the width of text as well.

I have a shiny app where I need to print a text in an Area onto the screen
which has a specific width, so some the texts are not showing within that
area (overflowing), where some are though all of them have the equal number
of letters.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Width of a text

Ben Tupper-2
Hi,

Does strwidth() do the trick?

https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/graphics/versions/3.5.1/topics/strwidth <https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/graphics/versions/3.5.1/topics/strwidth>

Ben

> On Dec 12, 2018, at 6:55 AM, Christofer Bogaso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> In HTML there is a way to measure the width of a Text before printing it on
> screen as in https://www.w3schools.com/tags/canvas_measuretext.asp
>
> In R we have nchar() function which just measures the number of letters in
> a Text, but I wonder if we can measure the width of text as well.
>
> I have a shiny app where I need to print a text in an Area onto the screen
> which has a specific width, so some the texts are not showing within that
> area (overflowing), where some are though all of them have the equal number
> of letters.
>
> Thanks for any input.

Ben Tupper
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
60 Bigelow Drive, P.O. Box 380
East Boothbay, Maine 04544
http://www.bigelow.org

Ecological Forecasting: https://eco.bigelow.org/

Re: Width of a text

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 12/12/2018 6:55 AM, Christofer Bogaso wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In HTML there is a way to measure the width of a Text before printing it on
> screen as in https://www.w3schools.com/tags/canvas_measuretext.asp
>
> In R we have nchar() function which just measures the number of letters in
> a Text, but I wonder if we can measure the width of text as well.
>
> I have a shiny app where I need to print a text in an Area onto the screen
> which has a specific width, so some the texts are not showing within that
> area (overflowing), where some are though all of them have the equal number
> of letters.

Since Shiny displays in a web browser, it will be up to the web browser
to measure the text.  (How would R know the font, magnification, etc?)
You'll have to do this in Javascript.

If your R code needs to know the answer, Shiny provides a way to send
the result back to R.  It's not trivial, but you can read how to do it
here:  <https://shiny.rstudio.com/articles/js-send-message.html>.

Duncan Murdoch