Windows GUI package install annoyance

Bert Gunter
Folks:

A minor (R 2.2.0) Windows package install annoyance, but I can't figure out
how to fix it. If someone could tell me how or point me to the appropriate
docs, I would appreciate it.

I set my CRAN mirror in my Rprofile.site file. After startup, I get:

> getOption('repos')
                          CRAN
"http:/cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/"

However, when I then go to the GUI "Packages" menu item and click on
"Install packages..." I get:

> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http:/cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.2
Error in install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1], dependencies = TRUE, type =
type) :
        no packages were specified

However, If I now manually set my mirror (through the menu: "Set Cran
mirror" item, which invokes chooseCRANmirror()) , and now check my repos
option, I get again:

> getOption('repos')
                          CRAN
"http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu"

## but now the "install packages.." menu choice works!
Is there an easy way to avoid having to manually re-specify my CRAN mirror?

My apologies for wasted bandwidth if I have overlooked something obvious,
which I believe is the case.

Many thanks.

-- Bert

Bert Gunter
Genentech

Re: Windows GUI package install annoyance

Uwe Ligges
Berton Gunter wrote:

> Folks:
>
> A minor (R 2.2.0) Windows package install annoyance, but I can't figure out
> how to fix it. If someone could tell me how or point me to the appropriate
> docs, I would appreciate it.
>
> I set my CRAN mirror in my Rprofile.site file. After startup, I get:
>

>>getOption('repos')
>
>                           CRAN
> "http:/cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/"
>

> However, when I then go to the GUI "Packages" menu item and click on
> "Install packages..." I get:
>

>>utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
>
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http:/cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.2
> Error in install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1], dependencies = TRUE, type =
> type) :
>         no packages were specified
>

> However, If I now manually set my mirror (through the menu: "Set Cran
> mirror" item, which invokes chooseCRANmirror()) , and now check my repos
> option, I get again:
>

>>getOption('repos')
>
>                           CRAN
> "http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu"
>

> ## but now the "install packages.." menu choice works!
> Is there an easy way to avoid having to manually re-specify my CRAN mirror?

Yes: do not omit the second "/" after "http:" in
"http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/" .....

Uwe Ligges

> My apologies for wasted bandwidth if I have overlooked something obvious,
> which I believe is the case.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> -- Bert
>
> Bert Gunter
> Genentech

Re: Windows GUI package install annoyance

Bert Gunter

Thanks, Uwe. I knew it was something stupid, but I could have stared at it
forever and still missed it.

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA