Quantcast

Wireframe plot inside a function

Threaded

Wireframe plot inside a function

George Trojan - NOAA Federal
Consider the following example:

library("kdecopula")
library("mvtnorm")

pobs <- function(x) rank(x) / (length(x) + 1)

n <- 1000

sigma1 <- diag(x = 1, 2, 2)
x1 <- rmvnorm(n, sigma = sigma1)
xx1 <- apply(x1, 2, pobs)
cop1 <- kdecop(xx1)

eps <- 0.8
sigma2 <- matrix(c(1, eps, eps, 1), ncol = 2)
x2 <- rmvnorm(n, sigma = sigma2)
xx2 <- apply(x2, 2, pobs)
cop2 <- kdecop(xx2)

x11()
plot(cop1, main = "cop1 main")
x11()
plot(cop2, main = "cop2 main")

cplot <- function(cop1, cop2) {
  x11()
  plot(cop1, main = "cop1 function")
  x11()
  plot(cop2, main = "cop2 function")
}

cplot(cop1, cop2)

cat("Press <Enter> to quit")
readLines(file("stdin"), n
​ ​
=
​ ​
1)
quit()

When I run it with Rscript all four x11 windows pop up, however the one
that should display "cop1 function" is blank, the wireframe is not plotted.
This is R 3.3.1, on Fedora 20.
I see similar behaviour on Fedora 24, R 3.3.3 when I run the code from
RStudio (the most recent one).

George

Threaded

Re: Wireframe plot inside a function

Jeff Newmiller
FAQ 7.22
And don't send HTML email... you are the one making it difficult for us to read your question.

On April 21, 2017 8:27:20 AM PDT, George Trojan - NOAA Federal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Consider the following example:
>
>library("kdecopula")
>library("mvtnorm")
>
>pobs <- function(x) rank(x) / (length(x) + 1)
>
>n <- 1000
>
>sigma1 <- diag(x = 1, 2, 2)
>x1 <- rmvnorm(n, sigma = sigma1)
>xx1 <- apply(x1, 2, pobs)
>cop1 <- kdecop(xx1)
>
>eps <- 0.8
>sigma2 <- matrix(c(1, eps, eps, 1), ncol = 2)
>x2 <- rmvnorm(n, sigma = sigma2)
>xx2 <- apply(x2, 2, pobs)
>cop2 <- kdecop(xx2)
>
>x11()
>plot(cop1, main = "cop1 main")
>x11()
>plot(cop2, main = "cop2 main")
>
>cplot <- function(cop1, cop2) {
>  x11()
>  plot(cop1, main = "cop1 function")
>  x11()
>  plot(cop2, main = "cop2 function")
>}
>
>cplot(cop1, cop2)
>
>cat("Press <Enter> to quit")
>readLines(file("stdin"), n
>​ ​
>=
>​ ​
>1)
>quit()
>
>When I run it with Rscript all four x11 windows pop up, however the one
>that should display "cop1 function" is blank, the wireframe is not
>plotted.
>This is R 3.3.1, on Fedora 20.
>I see similar behaviour on Fedora 24, R 3.3.3 when I run the code from
>RStudio (the most recent one).
>
>George

Threaded

Re: Wireframe plot inside a function

George Trojan - NOAA Federal
Thanks. After changing the function to

cplot <- function(cop1, cop2) {
  x11()
  o <- plot(cop1, main = "cop1 function")
  print(o)
  x11()
  o <- plot(cop2, main = "cop2 function")
  print(o)
}

I see both plots. But, since "cop2 function" was plotted before, does
it mean it is plotted twice now? Looks as a strange design.

I did check the "Plain text mode" in Chrome, you should see only the text part.

George

On 21 April 2017 at 16:27, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FAQ 7.22
> And don't send HTML email... you are the one making it difficult for us to read your question.

> On April 21, 2017 8:27:20 AM PDT, George Trojan - NOAA Federal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Consider the following example:
>>
>>library("kdecopula")
>>library("mvtnorm")
>>
>>pobs <- function(x) rank(x) / (length(x) + 1)
>>
>>n <- 1000
>>
>>sigma1 <- diag(x = 1, 2, 2)
>>x1 <- rmvnorm(n, sigma = sigma1)
>>xx1 <- apply(x1, 2, pobs)
>>cop1 <- kdecop(xx1)
>>
>>eps <- 0.8
>>sigma2 <- matrix(c(1, eps, eps, 1), ncol = 2)
>>x2 <- rmvnorm(n, sigma = sigma2)
>>xx2 <- apply(x2, 2, pobs)
>>cop2 <- kdecop(xx2)
>>
>>x11()
>>plot(cop1, main = "cop1 main")
>>x11()
>>plot(cop2, main = "cop2 main")
>>
>>cplot <- function(cop1, cop2) {
>>  x11()
>>  plot(cop1, main = "cop1 function")
>>  x11()
>>  plot(cop2, main = "cop2 function")
>>}
>>
>>cplot(cop1, cop2)
>>
>>cat("Press <Enter> to quit")
>>readLines(file("stdin"), n
>>
>>=
>>
>>1)
>>quit()
>>
>>When I run it with Rscript all four x11 windows pop up, however the one
>>that should display "cop1 function" is blank, the wireframe is not
>>plotted.
>>This is R 3.3.1, on Fedora 20.
>>I see similar behaviour on Fedora 24, R 3.3.3 when I run the code from
>>RStudio (the most recent one).
>>
>>George
>>
>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Threaded

Re: Wireframe plot inside a function

Jeff Newmiller
Your original function created the cop1 plot object but did nothing with it. It then created the cop2 plot and returned it from the function. Since you had invoked the cplot function from the interactive console, R printed that returned object automatically, which displayed the plot.

FYI: when you want to start presenting multiple plots and/or tables together you will find that something like knitr and RMarkdown are very helpful.

On April 21, 2017 11:59:28 AM PDT, George Trojan - NOAA Federal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Thanks. After changing the function to
>
>cplot <- function(cop1, cop2) {
>  x11()
>  o <- plot(cop1, main = "cop1 function")
>  print(o)
>  x11()
>  o <- plot(cop2, main = "cop2 function")
>  print(o)
>}
>
>I see both plots. But, since "cop2 function" was plotted before, does
>it mean it is plotted twice now? Looks as a strange design.
>
>I did check the "Plain text mode" in Chrome, you should see only the
>text part.
>
>George
>
>On 21 April 2017 at 16:27, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> FAQ 7.22
>> And don't send HTML email... you are the one making it difficult for
>us to read your question.
>>
>> --
>>
>> On April 21, 2017 8:27:20 AM PDT, George Trojan - NOAA Federal
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>Consider the following example:
>>>
>>>library("kdecopula")
>>>library("mvtnorm")
>>>
>>>pobs <- function(x) rank(x) / (length(x) + 1)
>>>
>>>n <- 1000
>>>
>>>sigma1 <- diag(x = 1, 2, 2)
>>>x1 <- rmvnorm(n, sigma = sigma1)
>>>xx1 <- apply(x1, 2, pobs)
>>>cop1 <- kdecop(xx1)
>>>
>>>eps <- 0.8
>>>sigma2 <- matrix(c(1, eps, eps, 1), ncol = 2)
>>>x2 <- rmvnorm(n, sigma = sigma2)
>>>xx2 <- apply(x2, 2, pobs)
>>>cop2 <- kdecop(xx2)
>>>
>>>x11()
>>>plot(cop1, main = "cop1 main")
>>>x11()
>>>plot(cop2, main = "cop2 main")
>>>
>>>cplot <- function(cop1, cop2) {
>>>  x11()
>>>  plot(cop1, main = "cop1 function")
>>>  x11()
>>>  plot(cop2, main = "cop2 function")
>>>}
>>>
>>>cplot(cop1, cop2)
>>>
>>>cat("Press <Enter> to quit")
>>>readLines(file("stdin"), n
>>>
>>>=
>>>
>>>1)
>>>quit()
>>>
>>>When I run it with Rscript all four x11 windows pop up, however the
>one
>>>that should display "cop1 function" is blank, the wireframe is not
>>>plotted.
>>>This is R 3.3.1, on Fedora 20.
>>>I see similar behaviour on Fedora 24, R 3.3.3 when I run the code
>from
>>>RStudio (the most recent one).
>>>
>>>George
>>>
>>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Threaded

Re: Wireframe plot inside a function

George Trojan - NOAA Federal
I see. So, if I don't care about the plot object itself,  the proper
incantation is

plot(plot(cop1, main = "cop1 function"))

Thanks again.

On 21 April 2017 at 20:32, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your original function created the cop1 plot object but did nothing with it. It then created the cop2 plot and returned it from the function. Since you had invoked the cplot function from the interactive console, R printed that returned object automatically, which displayed the plot.
>
> FYI: when you want to start presenting multiple plots and/or tables together you will find that something like knitr and RMarkdown are very helpful.
>
> On April 21, 2017 11:59:28 AM PDT, George Trojan - NOAA Federal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Thanks. After changing the function to
>>
>>cplot <- function(cop1, cop2) {
>>  x11()
>>  o <- plot(cop1, main = "cop1 function")
>>  print(o)
>>  x11()
>>  o <- plot(cop2, main = "cop2 function")
>>  print(o)
>>}
>>
>>I see both plots. But, since "cop2 function" was plotted before, does
>>it mean it is plotted twice now? Looks as a strange design.
>>
>>I did check the "Plain text mode" in Chrome, you should see only the
>>text part.
>>
>>George
>>
>>On 21 April 2017 at 16:27, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
>>wrote:
>>> FAQ 7.22
>>> And don't send HTML email... you are the one making it difficult for
>>us to read your question.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

>>one
>>from

Threaded

Re: Wireframe plot inside a function

Jeff Newmiller
No... it is

print(plot(cop1, main = "cop1 function"))

On April 21, 2017 1:56:00 PM PDT, George Trojan - NOAA Federal <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I see. So, if I don't care about the plot object itself,  the proper
>incantation is
>
>plot(plot(cop1, main = "cop1 function"))
>
>Thanks again.
>
>On 21 April 2017 at 20:32, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> Your original function created the cop1 plot object but did nothing
>with it. It then created the cop2 plot and returned it from the
>function. Since you had invoked the cplot function from the interactive
>console, R printed that returned object automatically, which displayed
>the plot.
>>
>> FYI: when you want to start presenting multiple plots and/or tables
>together you will find that something like knitr and RMarkdown are very
>helpful.
>> --
>>
>> On April 21, 2017 11:59:28 AM PDT, George Trojan - NOAA Federal
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>Thanks. After changing the function to
>>>
>>>cplot <- function(cop1, cop2) {
>>>  x11()
>>>  o <- plot(cop1, main = "cop1 function")
>>>  print(o)
>>>  x11()
>>>  o <- plot(cop2, main = "cop2 function")
>>>  print(o)
>>>}
>>>
>>>I see both plots. But, since "cop2 function" was plotted before, does
>>>it mean it is plotted twice now? Looks as a strange design.
>>>
>>>I did check the "Plain text mode" in Chrome, you should see only the
>>>text part.
>>>
>>>George

>for
>>>us to read your question.

>>>one
>>>from

Threaded

Re: Wireframe plot inside a function

George Trojan - NOAA Federal
But it works ;-). According to print.trellis help, 'plot' is an alias
for 'print'.

IMO, this is an abuse of overloading: same method name does totally
different things.