Yahoo Did not update

D Mack
All,  Did anyone notice that Yahoo did not update last night.  I have been running a Yahoo down  for a year and half and it did not update for the first time.   Did anyone else experience this?   I am using quantmod.

Thanks,  Dan

Re: Yahoo Did not update

Roger J. Bos
I saw some talk about Yahoo changing something that broke the package, but
for some it was still working in Rstudio, but don't quote me on that.  It
has been fixed on the latest version (probably on github, not sure about
CRAN).  Search some more and you will find the discussion.

On May 16, 2017 10:37 AM, "Daniel Mack" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,  Did anyone notice that Yahoo did not update last night.  I have been
> running a Yahoo down  for a year and half and it did not update for the
> first time.   Did anyone else experience this?   I am using quantmod.
>
> Thanks,  Dan

> should go.

Yahoo Did not update

R P Herrold
On Tue, 16 May 2017, Daniel Mack wrote:

> All, Did anyone notice that Yahoo did not update last night.
> I have been running a Yahoo down for a year and half and it
> did not update for the first time.  Did anyone else
> experience this?  I am using quantmod.

As to Yahoo changes recently, this thread in the pipermail
archive:
        https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-finance/2017q2/014274.html

I have been hitting some intermittent limits (i.e., failures
to get replies and getting error returns instead) at Yahoo
Finance as to multiple inquiries from the same IP the last
week or so

-- Russ herrold

Re: Yahoo Did not update

aschmid1
And now I cannot download from yahoo at all (it worked until 20 min ago):

trying URL 'http://chart.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=AAPL&a=5&b=01&c=2012&d=4&e=12&f=2017&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=AAPL&x=.csv'
download error, retrying ...

1: In download.file(url, destfile, method = method, quiet = quiet) :
  cannot open: HTTP status was '502 Connection refused'

Is it just me?
Thanks! Alec

On Tue, 16 May 2017, Alec Schmidt wrote:

> And now I cannot download from yahoo at all (it worked until 20 min ago):
>
> trying URL 'http://chart.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=AAPL&a=5&b=01&c=2012&d=4&e=12&f=2017&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=AAPL&x=.csv'
> download error, retrying ...
>
> 1: In download.file(url, destfile, method = method, quiet = quiet) :
>   cannot open: HTTP status was '502 Connection refused'
>
> Is it just me?

no -- looking in a web browser displays an outage message here

retrievals from them 'fell off a cliff and died' earlier
this afternoon

also, revising code and habits to use httpS rather than http
was kind of the point of the thread I mentioned earlier today

-- Russ herrold

Re: Yahoo Did not update

Ilya Kipnis
Can confirm. Having issues downloading from Yahoo, getting a 502 error.
Should I reinstall quantmod?

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:02 PM, R P Herrold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2017, Alec Schmidt wrote:
>
> > And now I cannot download from yahoo at all (it worked until 20 min ago):
> >
> > trying URL 'http://chart.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=AAPL&a=5&b=01&c=2012&d=
> 4&e=12&f=2017&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=AAPL&x=.csv'
> > download error, retrying ...
> >
> > 1: In download.file(url, destfile, method = method, quiet = quiet) :
> >   cannot open: HTTP status was '502 Connection refused'
> >
> > Is it just me?
>
> no -- looking in a web browser displays an outage message here
>
> retrievals from them 'fell off a cliff and died' earlier
> this afternoon
>
> also, revising code and habits to use httpS rather than http
> was kind of the point of the thread I mentioned earlier today
>
> -- Russ herrold

> should go.

Re: Yahoo Did not update

R P Herrold
On Tue, 16 May 2017, Ilya Kipnis wrote:

> Can confirm. Having issues downloading from Yahoo, getting a 502 error.
> Should I reinstall quantmod?

If your personal vehicle runs out of fuel, would you discard
it and purchase a new car?

Yahoo! Finance data is just fuel for quantmod in my analogy --
other data providers and vendors exist

        https://www.quandl.com/
        http://www.tickdata.com/html/downloads.shtml
        https://orats.com/
        http://www.nanex.net/
        https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/chart/data/1D/AAPL:US
        http://www.interactivebrokers.com/

Some on that list offer some data without charge

-- Russ herrold

Re: Yahoo Did not update

Roger J. Bos
Google still works

On May 16, 2017 4:25 PM, "R P Herrold" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2017, Ilya Kipnis wrote:
>
> > Can confirm. Having issues downloading from Yahoo, getting a 502 error.
> > Should I reinstall quantmod?
>
> If your personal vehicle runs out of fuel, would you discard
> it and purchase a new car?
>
> Yahoo! Finance data is just fuel for quantmod in my analogy --
> other data providers and vendors exist
>
>         https://www.quandl.com/
>         http://www.tickdata.com/html/downloads.shtml
>         https://orats.com/
>         http://www.nanex.net/
>         https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/chart/data/1D/AAPL:US
>         http://www.interactivebrokers.com/
>
> Some on that list offer some data without charge
>
> -- Russ herrold

> should go.

Re: Yahoo Did not update

aschmid1
Roger,
I'm getting nervous with yahoo outage. Google works indeed, but it provides only closing but not adjusted prices. Any way around?
Thanks, Alec

On May 16, 2017 4:25 PM, "R P Herrold" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2017, Ilya Kipnis wrote:
>
> > Can confirm. Having issues downloading from Yahoo, getting a 502 error.
> > Should I reinstall quantmod?
>
> If your personal vehicle runs out of fuel, would you discard
> it and purchase a new car?
>
> Yahoo! Finance data is just fuel for quantmod in my analogy --
> other data providers and vendors exist
>
>         https://www.quandl.com/
>         http://www.tickdata.com/html/downloads.shtml
>         https://orats.com/
>         http://www.nanex.net/
>         https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/chart/data/1D/AAPL:US
>         http://www.interactivebrokers.com/
>
> Some on that list offer some data without charge
>
> -- Russ herrold

> should go.

Re: Yahoo Did not update

Erol Biceroglu-2
Pasting
https://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=XLE&a=0&b=01&c=1998&d=11&e=30&f=2016&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=XLE&x=.csv
in a browser yields the following message from yahoo:

"Will be right back... Thank you for your patience. Our engineers are
working quickly to resolve the issue."

Is is possible that it's a temporary issue?

Erol Biceroglu
416-275-7970
*LinkedIn <http://ca.linkedin.com/in/erolbiceroglu> | Wordpress
<https://propfoliomanagement.wordpress.com/>*

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Alec Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Roger,
> I'm getting nervous with yahoo outage. Google works indeed, but it
> provides only closing but not adjusted prices. Any way around?
> Thanks, Alec

Re: Yahoo Did not update

Joshua Ulrich
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Erol Biceroglu
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Pasting
> https://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=XLE&a=0&b=01&c=1998&d=11&e=30&f=2016&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=XLE&x=.csv
> in a browser yields the following message from yahoo:
>
> "Will be right back... Thank you for your patience. Our engineers are
> working quickly to resolve the issue."
>
> Is is possible that it's a temporary issue?

Doubt it. Looks like they changed it to be more secure and harder to scrape.

> Erol Biceroglu
> 416-275-7970
> *LinkedIn <http://ca.linkedin.com/in/erolbiceroglu> | Wordpress
> <https://propfoliomanagement.wordpress.com/>*
>
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Alec Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Roger,
>> I'm getting nervous with yahoo outage. Google works indeed, but it
>> provides only closing but not adjusted prices. Any way around?
>> Thanks, Alec

Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com
R/Finance 2017 | www.rinfinance.com