appeal --- add sd to summary for univariates

appeal --- add sd to summary for univariates

ivo welch-2
just a short beg for the next R 2.3 version:

I know it is easy to add the sd into summary() in the source bowels of
R---but everytime R is updated, my change disappears.  :-(.  I do not
believe that R has an easy extension mechanism for univariate
summaries, short of a function rewrite here.  Could this please be
added into R 2.3?

Aside, a logical ordering might also be:
   mean sd min q1 med q3 max
rather than have mean buried in between order statistics.

regards,

/iaw

Re: appeal --- add sd to summary for univariates

RKoenker

On Feb 6, 2006, at 2:34 PM, ivo welch wrote:

> Aside, a logical ordering might also be:
>    mean sd min q1 med q3 max
> rather than have mean buried in between order statistics.

                Just where it belongs, IMHO....

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    [hidden email]            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820

Re: appeal --- add sd to summary for univariates

Patricia Hawkins

iw> just a short beg for the next R 2.3 version:
iw> I know it is easy to add the sd into summary() in the source bowels of
iw> R---but everytime R is updated, my change disappears.  :-(.  I do not
iw> believe that R has an easy extension mechanism for univariate
iw> summaries, short of a function rewrite here.  Could this please be
iw> added into R 2.3?

Surely this is the sort of change one puts in a profile file,
presumably .RProfile?  Or is there a reason against that?

--
Patricia J. Hawkins
Hawkins Internet Applications