apply

Threaded

apply

Diego Peroni
Hi everybody,

I'm running last quantstrat build from a couple of days on a CentOS
server (128GB ram, 6 core XEON):

Version: *0.9.1739*| Last change: *2016-04-17 20:25:28+02*| Rev.: *1748

**Using:

**library(doMC)
registerDoMC(cores=detectCores())
results = apply.paramset(my.strategy, paramset.label = "OPT",
                           portfolio=my.strategy, account=my.strategy,
nsamples=0, calc='slave', audit=NULL, verbose=FALSE)
*
*This new release crashes in few minutes with just 500 combinations
because memory allocation ***increases *of each single process very very
fast.

**It never happened to me with this simple strategy before quantstrat
upgrade.*
*
Someone can help me?*
*
Thanks*
*Diego
*

Threaded

Re: apply

Joshua Ulrich
On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Diego Peroni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm running last quantstrat build from a couple of days on a CentOS
> server (128GB ram, 6 core XEON):
>
> Version: *0.9.1739*| Last change: *2016-04-17 20:25:28+02*| Rev.: *1748

That is not the last quantstrat build.  You're using the last commit
from R-Forge, but quantstrat moved from R-Forge to GitHub in May 2016.
https://github.com/braverock/quantstrat

> **Using:
>
> **library(doMC)
> registerDoMC(cores=detectCores())
> results = apply.paramset(my.strategy, paramset.label = "OPT",
>                            portfolio=my.strategy, account=my.strategy,
> nsamples=0, calc='slave', audit=NULL, verbose=FALSE)
> *
> *This new release crashes in few minutes with just 500 combinations
> because memory allocation ***increases *of each single process very very
> fast.
>
> **It never happened to me with this simple strategy before quantstrat
> upgrade.*
> *
> Someone can help me?*
> *
It's going to be very difficult for people to help you with so little
information about the strategy.

It would also be helpful to know the versions of R and all relevant
packages both *before* and after this issue occurred.  You think the
issue is with quantstrat because you're trying to run a strategy, but
quantstrat depends on a lot of other packages and an issue in one of
them could be causing this issue.

> Thanks*
> *Diego
> *

Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com
R/Finance 2017 | www.rinfinance.com

Threaded

Re: apply

Diego Peroni
Hi Joshua,

thanks for your answer!

I'm going to download and test last version from GitHub first and I'll
check if my problem persists...

Diego

On 27/01/2017 19:13, Joshua Ulrich wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Diego Peroni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I'm running last quantstrat build from a couple of days on a CentOS
>> server (128GB ram, 6 core XEON):
>>
>> Version: *0.9.1739*| Last change: *2016-04-17 20:25:28+02*| Rev.: *1748
>>
> That is not the last quantstrat build.  You're using the last commit
> from R-Forge, but quantstrat moved from R-Forge to GitHub in May 2016.
> https://github.com/braverock/quantstrat
>
>> **Using:
>>
>> **library(doMC)
>> registerDoMC(cores=detectCores())
>> results = apply.paramset(my.strategy, paramset.label = "OPT",
>>                             portfolio=my.strategy, account=my.strategy,
>> nsamples=0, calc='slave', audit=NULL, verbose=FALSE)
>> *
>> *This new release crashes in few minutes with just 500 combinations
>> because memory allocation ***increases *of each single process very very
>> fast.
>>
>> **It never happened to me with this simple strategy before quantstrat
>> upgrade.*
>> *
>> Someone can help me?*
>> *
> It's going to be very difficult for people to help you with so little
> information about the strategy.
>
> It would also be helpful to know the versions of R and all relevant
> packages both *before* and after this issue occurred.  You think the
> issue is with quantstrat because you're trying to run a strategy, but
> quantstrat depends on a lot of other packages and an issue in one of
> them could be causing this issue.
>
>> Thanks*
>> *Diego
>> *
>>
>>          [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> -- Also note that this is not the r-help list where general R questions should go.

Threaded

Re: apply

Diego Peroni
Hi Joshua,

I've found the same problem (fast memory increse until swap and crash)
using last quantstrat release from GitHub (0.10.0).

I'm running a very simple demo strategy (in attach to this email) based
on ES 2006 x minute data (163MB).
The strategy do just few trades per case to run to the end of
combinations quickly.
It seems to me that at each new case the memory increases because old
data are not dropped from memory.
I didn't had this problem using quantstrat 0.9.1709

My configuration is the following:

- CentOS server (128GB ram, 6 core XEON)
- RStudio Server Version 0.99.484
- R version 3.2.2 (2015-08-14)
- TTR 0.23.1
- quantmod 0.4.7
- blotter 0.9.1741
- PerformanceAnalytics 1.4.3662

I'm sending to you (in private) a link to download the data
(ES_2006.RData) that the strategy uses:

Thanks in advance for your time and let me know if I've missed important
information for you.

Regards

Diego

strategy.R (2K) Download Attachment