best text editor for Linux?

Wade Wall
Hi all,

I know this question has been asked in the past, but I am wondering if
anyone running R on Linux has any guidance as to a text editor that works
well with R.  At the present time I am running R on Windows and using
TINN-R.  For a number of reasons I want to switch to Linux, but can't find
much in the way of a text editor in sync with R.  Any experiences,
recommendations would be appreciated.

Wade Wall

Re: best text editor for Linux?

Mark Kimpel
Wade,

I switched from R-Windows to R-Linux about 9 months ago and have had
great success with GNU-Emacs with the ESS add-on. Your distro should
have Emacs available for install, if it does not you can get the source at:
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/

ESS can be found at:
http://ess.r-project.org/

There is a special help-list for ESS at:
[hidden email]

Good Luck,
Mark

Mark W. Kimpel MD  ** Neuroinformatics ** Dept. of Psychiatry
Indiana University School of Medicine

15032 Hunter Court, Westfield, IN  46074

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile & VoiceMail
(317) 204-4202 Home (no voice mail please)

mwkimpel<at>gmail<dot>com

Wade Wall wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know this question has been asked in the past, but I am wondering if
> anyone running R on Linux has any guidance as to a text editor that works
> well with R.  At the present time I am running R on Windows and using
> TINN-R.  For a number of reasons I want to switch to Linux, but can't find
> much in the way of a text editor in sync with R.  Any experiences,
> recommendations would be appreciated.
>
> Wade Wall

Re: best text editor for Linux?

Shige Song
On Linux platform, nothing beats Emacs + ESS.

Shige

On Feb 2, 2008 11:06 AM, Wade Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know this question has been asked in the past, but I am wondering if
> anyone running R on Linux has any guidance as to a text editor that works
> well with R.  At the present time I am running R on Windows and using
> TINN-R.  For a number of reasons I want to switch to Linux, but can't find
> much in the way of a text editor in sync with R.  Any experiences,
> recommendations would be appreciated.
>
> Wade Wall

Re: best text editor for Linux?

Liviu Andronic
On 2/2/08, 宋时歌 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Linux platform, nothing beats Emacs + ESS.

Another text editor would be Bluefish. I believe it would lack
functionality compared to the Emacs + ESS.

Liviu

On 01/02/2008 11:49 PM, 宋时歌 wrote:
> On Linux platform, nothing beats Emacs + ESS.

This discussion may be relevant:

http://xkcd.com/378/

Re: best text editor for Linux?

Stefan Grosse-2
On Saturday 02 February 2008 04:06:38 am Wade Wall wrote:
WW> I know this question has been asked in the past, but I am wondering if
WW> anyone running R on Linux has any guidance as to a text editor that works
WW> well with R.

Beside the aforementioned emacs+ESS there exists another good editor. You
could use rkward which I would recommend over emacs if you are new to Linux:

http://rkward.sourceforge.net/

Fedora and Ubuntu both have rkward packaged in their repositories.

rkward look and feel is much closer to tinn-r (+ windows) world.

rkward has (in my opinion):
- a better highlightning,
- multiple tabs,
- it has auto-completition (of functions and objects),
- copy paste works also with ctrl+c/ctrl+v (in emacs its different),
- some common functions are offered via the menu's (for the non-purists),
- html help is supported.
- it allows editing data in a spreadsheet like environment
- you can browse R objects

(to avoid flaming: I know most of this is possible with emacs but maybe we
agree that it is for a beginner not that easy to learn/configure)

I was quite impressed of the advances rkward made during the last time so I
switched 2 weeks ago from emacs to rkward...

Cheers
Stefan

Re: best text editor for Linux?

chaogai
After to much windows contamination, my brain does not do the cryptic part of
Emacs+ESS C-x M-c M-headache. Eclipse is is currently my choice.
(But the installation instructions could be better)

Kees

On Saturday 02 February 2008 05:49:10 am 宋时歌 wrote:

> On Linux platform, nothing beats Emacs + ESS.
>
> Shige
>
> On Feb 2, 2008 11:06 AM, Wade Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I know this question has been asked in the past, but I am wondering if
> > anyone running R on Linux has any guidance as to a text editor that works
> > well with R.  At the present time I am running R on Windows and using
> > TINN-R.  For a number of reasons I want to switch to Linux, but can't
> > find much in the way of a text editor in sync with R.  Any experiences,
> > recommendations would be appreciated.
> >
> > Wade Wall
> >
> >        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: best text editor for Linux?

Vincent Goulet
Le sam. 02 févr. à 05:49, 宋时歌 a écrit :

> On Linux platform, nothing beats Emacs + ESS.

To me, an added bonus of Emacs + ESS is that you can remove the "On
Linux platform", above. Emacs is one of the very few (only?)
programmer's text editor with a good R mode that runs on all platforms
where R runs: Unix/Linux, Windows (http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/emacs)
and MacOS (http://aquamacs.org). On whatever platform I need to work,
I can use the same tools. Furthermore, M-w and C-y are the *correct*
keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste! :-D

See also Section 6 of the R FAQ:

        http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#R-and-Emacs

Wade, when you write: "I want to switch to Linux, but can't find much
in the way of a text editor in sync with R", you didn't look very
hard, now did you? ;-)

HTH

Vincent

> Shige
>
> On Feb 2, 2008 11:06 AM, Wade Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I know this question has been asked in the past, but I am wondering
>> if
>> anyone running R on Linux has any guidance as to a text editor that
>> works
>> well with R.  At the present time I am running R on Windows and using
>> TINN-R.  For a number of reasons I want to switch to Linux, but
>> can't find
>> much in the way of a text editor in sync with R.  Any experiences,
>> recommendations would be appreciated.
>>
>> Wade Wall
>>
>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

---
   Vincent Goulet, Associate Professor
   École d'actuariat
   Université Laval, Québec
   [hidden email]   http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca

Re: best text editor for Linux?

Frank Harrell
Stefan Grosse wrote:

> On Saturday 02 February 2008 04:06:38 am Wade Wall wrote:
> WW> I know this question has been asked in the past, but I am wondering if
> WW> anyone running R on Linux has any guidance as to a text editor that works
> WW> well with R.
>
> Beside the aforementioned emacs+ESS there exists another good editor. You
> could use rkward which I would recommend over emacs if you are new to Linux:
>
> http://rkward.sourceforge.net/
>
> Fedora and Ubuntu both have rkward packaged in their repositories.

I have tried installing rkward on three different ubuntu systems and
have never gotten past this error:

rkward
/usr/bin/rkward.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/rkward.bin: undefined
symbol: R_LastvalueSymbol

Frank Harrell

> rkward look and feel is much closer to tinn-r (+ windows) world.
>
> rkward has (in my opinion):
> - a better highlightning,
> - multiple tabs,
> - it has auto-completition (of functions and objects),
> - copy paste works also with ctrl+c/ctrl+v (in emacs its different),
> - some common functions are offered via the menu's (for the non-purists),
> - html help is supported.
> - it allows editing data in a spreadsheet like environment
> - you can browse R objects
>
> (to avoid flaming: I know most of this is possible with emacs but maybe we
> agree that it is for a beginner not that easy to learn/configure)
>
> I was quite impressed of the advances rkward made during the last time so I
> switched 2 weeks ago from emacs to rkward...
>
> Cheers
> Stefan

Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chair           School of Medicine

Frank Harrell

On Saturday 02 February 2008 03:21:24 pm Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:
FE> I have tried installing rkward on three different ubuntu systems and
FE> have never gotten past this error:
FE>
FE> rkward
FE> /usr/bin/rkward.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/rkward.bin: undefined
FE> symbol: R_LastvalueSymbol

Hm. I am on fedora 8 and the installation was flawless. My last ubuntu trial
was quite some time ago.

Have you tried the deb files from the projects downloads?

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50231

(try 0.4.9)

Stefan

On Saturday 02 February 2008 07:51:00 pm you wrote:
FE> I'm using the standard Ubuntu debian repositories.
FE> Frank

Try the 0.4.9 etch package from the project:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50231&package_id=43758&release_id=568604

for gutsy the latest package is 0.4.7 which is rather old. In 0.4.8 was
following fixed:

"fixed: would not work with R 2.6" (maybe that is the problem)

That is what I do not like about ubuntu, they do not make version updates even
when some big problems are solved by the updates.

alternatively you could use the hardy (next ubuntu version) repository either
via synaptic or the package (for the 0.4.9 package):

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/math/rkward

download and then double click should be enough...

Hope that helps
Stefan

Re: best text editor for Linux?

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 2 February 2008 at 20:15, Stefan Grosse wrote:
| On Saturday 02 February 2008 07:51:00 pm you wrote:
| FE> I'm using the standard Ubuntu debian repositories.
| FE> Frank
| FE>
|
| Try the 0.4.9 etch package from the project:
| http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50231&package_id=43758&release_id=568604
|
| for gutsy the latest package is 0.4.7 which is rather old. In 0.4.8 was
| following fixed:
|
| "fixed: would not work with R 2.6" (maybe that is the problem)
|
| That is what I do not like about ubuntu, they do not make version updates even
| when some big problems are solved by the updates.

I suspect you misunderstand their promise of stability in-between bi-annual
release.  It's a compromise. If you need current updates, use Debian
unstable, or testing.

As a middle ground, I like Ubuntu and use it at work.  A similar question
came up on the Open MPI users list this week and I wrote this (indented three
spaces here):

   On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:13:28AM -0500, Sang Chul Choi wrote:
   > I am wondering which version of open mpi I should install. I am using the
   > latest version of Ubuntu. Is debian package 1.1-2.5 the relatively latest
   > version of open mpi?

   No -- and a simple way of getting selected packages from Debian
   up-to-date on Ubuntu is to

              a) add a deb-src entry to /etc/apt/sources.list that points
                 to Debian unstable (or testing)

              b) apt-get update && apt-get source $packageYouWant

              c) make the changes you need to make, it any

              d) rebuild, eg via 'dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -tc -rfakeroot'

   which is what I do on the Ubuntu machines at work.

   Steps b) to d) can be combined by adding --compile to the apt-get
   source invocation, but I like to at least mark the local build in the
   changelog / version number.

   Hope this helps,

   Dirk (one of the Debian Open MPI maintainers)

Your approach of picking from the Ubuntu release is of course also valid. I
happy to be more familiar with Debian, so I go there for things that I may
miss in Ubuntu.  And generally speaking, it is not that many things.

Dirk

Stefan Grosse wrote:
> On Saturday 02 February 2008 07:51:00 pm you wrote:
> FE> I'm using the standard Ubuntu debian repositories.
> FE> Frank
> FE>
>
> Try the 0.4.9 etch package from the project:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=50231&package_id=43758&release_id=568604

That requires R before or at 2.4.9

> for gutsy the latest package is 0.4.7 which is rather old. In 0.4.8 was
> following fixed:
>
> "fixed: would not work with R 2.6" (maybe that is the problem)
>
> That is what I do not like about ubuntu, they do not make version updates even
> when some big problems are solved by the updates.

That has not been a problem for me.

> alternatively you could use the hardy (next ubuntu version) repository either
> via synaptic or the package (for the 0.4.9 package):
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/math/rkward

The hardy release has major dependency problems for gutsy users.

So there is no version of rkward that is made for Ubuntu gutsy for users
with current versions or R.

Thanks for trying though
Frank

--
Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chair           School of Medicine

Frank Harrell

Re: best text editor for Linux?

Bill.Venables
Two small points for this discussion.

Emacs + ESS is brilliant, but it does require some investment of time for people to become comfortable with it.  You really need to grok Emacs first.  It is protable across platforms, as pointed out below, but if you are trying to get a neophyte class on side in quick time, it is not a viable option.

A little bird tells me that a Linux port of Tinn-R is being developed now.  In the longer term, this would give a great portable solution, but I have no information on progress or anticipated release date.  (And no, I won't say who is doing it...)

Anyway, just as real programmers use Linux, real neophytes use Windows, don't they?

Bill.

> On Linux platform, nothing beats Emacs + ESS.

To me, an added bonus of Emacs + ESS is that you can remove the "On
Linux platform", above. Emacs is one of the very few (only?)
programmer's text editor with a good R mode that runs on all platforms
where R runs: Unix/Linux, Windows (http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/emacs)
and MacOS (http://aquamacs.org). On whatever platform I need to work,
I can use the same tools. Furthermore, M-w and C-y are the *correct*
keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste! :-D

See also Section 6 of the R FAQ:

        http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#R-and-Emacs

Wade, when you write: "I want to switch to Linux, but can't find much
in the way of a text editor in sync with R", you didn't look very
hard, now did you? ;-)

HTH

Vincent

> Shige
>
> On Feb 2, 2008 11:06 AM, Wade Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I know this question has been asked in the past, but I am wondering
>> if
>> anyone running R on Linux has any guidance as to a text editor that
>> works
>> well with R.  At the present time I am running R on Windows and using
>> TINN-R.  For a number of reasons I want to switch to Linux, but
>> can't find
>> much in the way of a text editor in sync with R.  Any experiences,
>> recommendations would be appreciated.
>>
>> Wade Wall
>>
>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

---
   Vincent Goulet, Associate Professor
   École d'actuariat
   Université Laval, Québec
   [hidden email]   http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca

Re: best text editor for Linux?

dusadrian
On Saturday 02 February 2008, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> Stefan Grosse wrote:
> [...]
> > alternatively you could use the hardy (next ubuntu version) repository
> > either via synaptic or the package (for the 0.4.9 package):
> >
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/math/rkward
>
> The hardy release has major dependency problems for gutsy users.
>
> So there is no version of rkward that is made for Ubuntu gutsy for users
> with current versions or R.
I'm using Gutsy and managed to install rkward. It does have some dependencies
which need some upgrades, but it wasn't such a hassle.

The only package it really complained was libgfortran, but I found this fix on
the Internet:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgfortran.so.2 /usr/lib/libgfortran.so

After that, it worked like a charm and must say I'm pretty impressed. It they
keep developing it like that, I might actually switch (for the moment I use
the good old jEdit).

Hope it helps,
Adrian

--
Adrian Dusa
Romanian Social Data Archive

Re: best text editor for Linux?

Jarek Jasiewicz
Wade Wall wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know this question has been asked in the past, but I am wondering if
> anyone running R on Linux has any guidance as to a text editor that works
> well with R.  At the present time I am running R on Windows and using
> TINN-R.  For a number of reasons I want to switch to Linux, but can't find
> much in the way of a text editor in sync with R.  Any experiences,
> recommendations would be appreciated.
>
> Wade Wall

I can suggest also JGR package which give yo very good standalone
interface (you cannot start terminal) with color syntax for all
installed packages, active tips after typing funcion name, runnig any
fragment of code directly from editor, obiect brownser etc. very nice
tool... but.....

It is java-dependend and there are lots of problems with installing it -
like most of the java dependend tools. For example I installed it
without problem on one machine, beside on other almost the same I recive
error. No one can tell me why (i.e why it is differend). Addationally
like all others java programs it is extremly slow and resorce consumed.
Jarek

Re: best text editor for Linux?

Simon Blomberg-4
Many Linux/Unix users (including me) recommend running R in Emacs, using
ESS http://ess.r-project.org/ . You can also run R through Emacs/ESS on
Windows.

Simon.

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 07:35 +0100, Jarek Jasiewicz wrote:

> Wade Wall wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I know this question has been asked in the past, but I am wondering if
> > anyone running R on Linux has any guidance as to a text editor that works
> > well with R.  At the present time I am running R on Windows and using
> > TINN-R.  For a number of reasons I want to switch to Linux, but can't find
> > much in the way of a text editor in sync with R.  Any experiences,
> > recommendations would be appreciated.
> >
> > Wade Wall

> I can suggest also JGR package which give yo very good standalone
> interface (you cannot start terminal) with color syntax for all
> installed packages, active tips after typing funcion name, runnig any
> fragment of code directly from editor, obiect brownser etc. very nice
> tool... but.....
>
> It is java-dependend and there are lots of problems with installing it -
> like most of the java dependend tools. For example I installed it
> without problem on one machine, beside on other almost the same I recive
> error. No one can tell me why (i.e why it is differend). Addationally
> like all others java programs it is extremly slow and resorce consumed.
> Jarek

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
http://www.uq.edu.au/~uqsblomb
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.

Re: best text editor for Linux?

Shige Song
Based on my own experience, the difficulty of installation is mainly
Linux-specific (especially SuSE), should not be a problem on Windows
platform. As computer hardware getting better each day, the resource problem
associated with Java seems to be less and less relevant. My complain about
JGR is that the text editor is too simple and does not have many advanced
functions one often see in "real" editors such as Emacs, Vim, Ultraedit, and
Jedit. I wish the developer can put more effort on that. Other than this,
JGR is a very nice and pleasant environment to work with, even for a Emacs +
ESS lover such as myself.

Shige