cartograms in R?

Dan Kelley
Q: Has anyone implemented cartograms [**] in R? A search on the R
site turned up
        https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2005-December/000698.html
which led to
C8%A4%C3%A4%BF%C3%CF%BF%DE%C9%BD%BC%A8&word=Rmap#content_1_35

which has (one form of) a cartogram as a PNG, but which doesn't seem
to have code.  (The site is in Japanese, so I can't be sure on the
code availability.)

** A cartogram are geographical maps in which region boundaries are
distorted to represent some property of interest, e.g. population
density.  For an introduction, see
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartogram
and for some elegant examples for election results, see
        http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election

Dan E. Kelley, Assoc. Prof. phone:(902)494-1694
Dept. Oceanography fax:(902)494-2885
Dalhousie University mailto:[hidden email]
Halifax, NS, Canada B3H 4J1   http://www.phys.ocean.dal.ca/~kelley/
Kelley_Dan.html

Re: cartograms in R?

Robert Baer
 Dan E. Kelley writes:
> Q: Has anyone implemented cartograms [**] in R? A search on the R
> site turned up
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2005-December/000698.html

--snip--

> and for some elegant examples for election results, see
> http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election

I don't know about any R implementations, but perhaps someone on the
R-Sig-Geo has seen something.

Hopefully you noticed the CODE Gastner and Newman provide (through the site
you mention) along with a short tutorial.  The software is available as a
zip file from the link on: http://www.santafe.edu/~mgastner/

That site also provides links to Gastner and Newman's PNAS paper:
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/101/20/7499  or
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/101/20/7499

and links to a Windows executable,
http://www.jatrigis.com/cartogram/cartogram.htm, and java implementations,
http://people.cas.sc.edu/hardistf/cartograms/.

The MAPresso site may also be of interest:
http://people.cas.sc.edu/hardistf/cartograms/

Rob

Re: cartograms in R?

Robert Baer
> Dan E. Kelley writes:
>> Q: Has anyone implemented cartograms [**] in R? A search on the R
>> site turned up
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2005-December/000698.html
>
> --snip--
>
>> and for some elegant examples for election results, see
>> http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election
>

> I don't know about any R implementations, but perhaps someone on the
> R-Sig-Geo has seen something.
>
> Hopefully you noticed the CODE Gastner and Newman provide (through the
> site
> you mention) along with a short tutorial.  The software is available as a
> zip file from the link on: http://www.santafe.edu/~mgastner/
>
> That site also provides links to Gastner and Newman's PNAS paper:
> http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/101/20/7499  or
> http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/101/20/7499
>
> and links to a Windows executable,
> http://www.jatrigis.com/cartogram/cartogram.htm, and java implementations,
> http://people.cas.sc.edu/hardistf/cartograms/.
>
> The MAPresso site may also be of interest:
Sorry the correct MAPresso link should have been:
http://www.mapresso.com/