command line fails

Michael Ashton-3
Hi - Think this is quick help. Not sure how to trap what is causing my simple script to run fine in R, but fail immediately when called from rscript. I can put all sorts of traps in the script itself, but when called from the command line the r window simply flashes and closes.

There's probably a way to find out why rscript is failing, but I don't know it and can't seem to find it online. To be clear, I'm not really trying to save the OUTPUT of the file...it never even executes as far as I can tell. I'm calling it with C:\Program Files\R\R-3.4.3\bin\Rscript.exe "P:\Investments\Trading Tools\RV Tools\myfile.r" And again, it executes perfectly if I open the GUI first and then run it within R.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Michael Ashton, CFA
Managing Principal

Enduring Investments LLC
W: 973.457.4602
C: 551.655.8006

Re: command line fails

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 02/02/2018 7:52 AM, Michael Ashton wrote:
> Hi - Think this is quick help. Not sure how to trap what is causing my simple script to run fine in R, but fail immediately when called from rscript. I can put all sorts of traps in the script itself, but when called from the command line the r window simply flashes and closes.
>
> There's probably a way to find out why rscript is failing, but I don't know it and can't seem to find it online. To be clear, I'm not really trying to save the OUTPUT of the file...it never even executes as far as I can tell. I'm calling it with C:\Program Files\R\R-3.4.3\bin\Rscript.exe "P:\Investments\Trading Tools\RV Tools\myfile.r" And again, it executes perfectly if I open the GUI first and then run it within R.

I'd try using forward slashes in the path, i.e. "P:/Investments/Trading
Tools/RV Tools/myfile.r"  I don't remember if R processes the path to
the script or whether it's done entirely by the shell, but they
shouldn't hurt.

Spaces in file paths sometimes cause trouble.  If you put the script in
a path with no spaces does that help?  If so, you can probably escape
that space, but I can't remember what the escape sequence is.  (Escapes
in Windows can be processed by the command shell or Rscript.exe or both,
so it's hard to get them right.)  Another alternative might be to change
directory to that path and then use a relative path for the R script.

Re: command line fails

Michael Ashton-3
I don't think it's the path or the slashes. I run other files in this same manner, with the same path to the script itself, and they go off without a hitch. Although this is the first time I am using 3.4.3, and the only script I am using that version of R for at the moment.

Having said that, I did TRY reversing the slashes and got the same result. :-)

Michael Ashton, CFA
Managing Principal

Enduring Investments LLC
W: 973.457.4602

On 02/02/2018 8:20 AM, Michael Ashton wrote:
> I don't think it's the path or the slashes. I run other files in this same manner, with the same path to the script itself, and they go off without a hitch. Although this is the first time I am using 3.4.3, and the only script I am using that version of R for at the moment.
>
> Having said that, I did TRY reversing the slashes and got the same result. :-)

I'd try to determine if anything works with 3.4.3.  If nothing does,
maybe you need to back out to the older version.  If some scripts work
and some don't, then it shouldn't take long to find the offending line
by bisection:  comment out the last half of the script, if it works,
that's where the problem is, so comment only the last quarter, etc.

Duncan Murdoch

> Michael Ashton, CFA
> Managing Principal
>
> Enduring Investments LLC
> W: 973.457.4602

Re: command line fails

Michael Ashton-3
Fascinating. The script runs fine in 3.2.5, but won't run in 3.4.3 even with ALL lines commented out.

I have no idea what that means. I can't imagine I found a 3.4.3 bug no one knows about.

Michael Ashton, CFA
Managing Principal

Enduring Investments LLC
W: 973.457.4602
On 02/02/2018 8:20 AM, Michael Ashton wrote:
> I don't think it's the path or the slashes. I run other files in this same manner, with the same path to the script itself, and they go off without a hitch. Although this is the first time I am using 3.4.3, and the only script I am using that version of R for at the moment.
>
> Having said that, I did TRY reversing the slashes and got the same
> result. :-)

I'd try to determine if anything works with 3.4.3.  If nothing does, maybe you need to back out to the older version.  If some scripts work and some don't, then it shouldn't take long to find the offending line by bisection:  comment out the last half of the script, if it works, that's where the problem is, so comment only the last quarter, etc.

Duncan Murdoch

> Michael Ashton, CFA
> Managing Principal
>
> Enduring Investments LLC
> W: 973.457.4602

Re: command line fails

Enrico Schumann-2

Quoting Michael Ashton <[hidden email]>:

> Fascinating. The script runs fine in 3.2.5, but won't run in 3.4.3
> even with ALL lines commented out.
>
> I have no idea what that means. I can't imagine I found a 3.4.3 bug
> no one knows about.
>
> Michael Ashton, CFA
> Managing Principal
>
> Enduring Investments LLC
> W: 973.457.4602
> C: 551.655.8006

Just a guess: Could you try the patched version?

There was some discussion concerning 3.4.3 and command-line
arguments on Windows:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2017-December/075194.html

Kind regards
     Enrico

Enrico Schumann
Lucerne, Switzerland
http://enricoschumann.net

Re: command line fails

Enrico Schumann-2
On Fri, 02 Feb 2018, Michael Ashton writes:

> Where can I get the patch? I've never installed a patch for R...usually just upgrade.
>
> Michael Ashton, CFA
> Managing Principal
>
> Enduring Investments LLC
> W: 973.457.4602
> C: 551.655.8006

The patched build (i.e. a complete version, not just
the patch) is available from the same CRAN site at
which you find the official release; just further
below.

--
Enrico Schumann
Lucerne, Switzerland

Re: command line fails

Daniel Nordlund-3
On 2/2/2018 4:52 AM, Michael Ashton wrote:

> Hi - Think this is quick help. Not sure how to trap what is causing my simple script to run fine in R, but fail immediately when called from rscript. I can put all sorts of traps in the script itself, but when called from the command line the r window simply flashes and closes.
>
> There's probably a way to find out why rscript is failing, but I don't know it and can't seem to find it online. To be clear, I'm not really trying to save the OUTPUT of the file...it never even executes as far as I can tell. I'm calling it with C:\Program Files\R\R-3.4.3\bin\Rscript.exe "P:\Investments\Trading Tools\RV Tools\myfile.r" And again, it executes perfectly if I open the GUI first and then run it within R.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Mike
>
> Michael Ashton, CFA
> Managing Principal
>
> Enduring Investments LLC
> W: 973.457.4602
> C: 551.655.8006

Mike,

on Windows, anytime you send a path that contains a space to the command
line it needs to be enclosed in double quotes.  Try a call like

"C:/Program Files/R/R-3.4.3/bin/Rscript.exe" "P:/Investments/Trading
Tools/RV Tools/myfile.r"

I don't know how rscript handles the '\' character (i.e. as an escape or
not) so I changed the '\' to '/' just to be safe.  And note, the program
pathname and the file being passed need to be quoted separately.

Hope this helps,

Dan

--
Daniel Nordlund
Port Townsend, WA  USA

Re: command line fails

Michael Ashton-3
Thans Dan. It seems that it may be an issue with 3.4.3...I'm going to attempt a patch this weekend. The code works fine from the command line in 3.2.5!

Michael Ashton, CFA
Managing Principal

Enduring Investments LLC
W: 973.457.4602