config.status: error: cannot find input file: `po/Makefile.in'

config.status: error: cannot find input file: `po/Makefile.in'

Matt Dowle
Hi,

Does anyone else see the following or is it just me?  It usually works
fine. I checked latest R-devel commits and couldn't see anything very
recently changed or fixed w.r.t. po/ or Makefile.

wget https://stat.ethz.ch/R/daily/R-devel.tar.gz
tar xvf R-devel.tar.gz
cd R-devel
./configure --without-recommended-packages
config.status: error: cannot find input file: `po/Makefile.in'

$ lsb_release -a
Release:        18.04
Codename:       bionic

Best, Matt

Re: config.status: error: cannot find input file: `po/Makefile.in'

Martin Maechler

    > Hi,
    > Does anyone else see the following or is it just me?  It usually works
    > fine. I checked latest R-devel commits and couldn't see anything very
    > recently changed or fixed w.r.t. po/ or Makefile.

    > wget https://stat.ethz.ch/R/daily/R-devel.tar.gz
    > tar xvf R-devel.tar.gz
    > cd R-devel
    > ./configure --without-recommended-packages
    > config.status: error: cannot find input file: `po/Makefile.in'

Hmm, I can easily reproduce also with last night's tar ball.

The tar ball is missing 90% of the source files.
If you use replace
     R-devel.tar.gz
by   R-devel_2018-09-03.tar.gz

it works... but of course you want the daily latest version, and
I'll have a look on what causes the problem, and will fix it.

Best,
Martin

Re: config.status: error: cannot find input file: `po/Makefile.in'

Matt Dowle
Martin - many thanks, it's working now.