Quantcast

constant function

toro
Is it possible to define a constant function (for example the zero function) in R?

I found the following unsatisfying hack to create the "seven function":

constant <- stepfun( x = -100:100,   y = rep(7,   201)  )

This is mathematically unsatisfying because the domain is artificially restricted to [-100,100] rather than (-Inf,Inf).

Additionally, unless I use pch="n" there are ugly dots on the plot (and again this feels hackish).

Any suggestions on what else to do?

Thanks in advance.

Re: constant function

Eik Vettorazzi-2
Hi Chris,
how about this:

constant<-function(x) rep(7,length(x))
curve(constant,-1000,100)

cheers.

Am 07.03.2012 06:41, schrieb Chris Waggoner:

> Is it possible to define a constant function (for example the zero function) in R?
>
> I found the following unsatisfying hack to create the "seven function":
>
> constant <- stepfun( x = -100:100,   y = rep(7,   201)  )
>

> This is mathematically unsatisfying because the domain is artificially restricted to [-100,100] rather than (-Inf,Inf).
>
> Additionally, unless I use pch="n" there are ugly dots on the plot (and again this feels hackish).
>

> Any suggestions on what else to do?
>

> Thanks in advance.

Eik Vettorazzi

Department of Medical Biometry and Epidemiology
University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf

Martinistr. 52
20246 Hamburg

T ++49/40/7410-58243
F ++49/40/7410-57790

--
Pflichtangaben gemäß Gesetz über elektronische Handelsregister und Genossenschaftsregister sowie das Unternehmensregister (EHUG):

Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg

Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Guido Sauter (Vertreter des Vorsitzenden), Dr. Alexander Kirstein, Joachim Prölß, Prof. Dr. Dr. Uwe Koch-Gromus